Powerplay Best way to help your Power? Frontier look!

Join the enemy, get 1 or 2 of your buddies, deliver preparation packets in solo to loss making systems. Voila, you've brought the work of hundreds to nill. You can severely damage the CC economy of your enemies, allowing your preferred Power to move into their systems unabaded.

This sucks, but its the truth. This can't be in the best interest of the game. People are literally sabotaging this amazing experience that Frontier has worked so hard to create for us. Sadly, the 5c problem is rampant, and literally ruining the game, and driving many away. Where is the balance?

Hey, its all the rage. Being a total fashion victim I am inclined to join up. Hate to be the odd one out. Just have to find a few ALD buddies to make this a reality ;)

Meanwhile back in the real world Frontier Development remain impotently silent on this nonsense.

PP just should have never been play-able in Solo... the whole point was to pit players against each other and force interaction, fighting, and mass player activity... None of those elements are transferable to Solo...

Sadly, the 5c problem is rampant, and literally ruining the game, and driving many away.

Me included :(

I've been with Kumo Crew since the 1st cycle and have, up to now, always been positive and motivated to do my bit.
The 5thC thing is getting silly, but there's a number of other factors that have made me decide to leave Powerplay.
I won't list them all here, there's many threads that do that better than I could.

I really hope Powerplay gets the love it desperately needs - if so, I'll be back in a flash :)

Last edited:
PP just should have never been play-able in Solo... the whole point was to pit players against each other and force interaction, fighting, and mass player activity... None of those elements are transferable to Solo...

It may have been your whole point, but it probably wasn't FD's. Solo is not the problem, game mechanics are. All of the elements you mention are in solo right now, except for player vs player combat. There are solo players trying to do their part to help their faction, just as in online. The undermining of the factions hurts the solo player as well. No one wants to see a game mechanic flaw destroy their chosen power.

I've been with Kumo Crew since the 1st cycle and have, up to now, always been positive and motivated to do my bit.
The 5thC thing is getting silly, but there's a number of other factors that have made me decide to leave Powerplay.
I won't list them all here, there's many threads that do that better than I could.

I really hope Powerplay gets the love it desperately needs - if so, I'll be back in a flash :)

You're really fun. Come and join the Antal gang for some fun and friendly game play. We get x4 for bounty hunting at rank 5 too and we have big adventures :)

FD do not have time to fix this anyway, they are working on Horizons...

What a useful and inciteful comment. It answers questions and opens avenues for further discussion.

However, I will use your statement for good.

All it would take for the PP communities most troubled by this to extend their patience is....

....a simple statement from FD that though "a fix is not imminent, it is definitely intended. 5th column activity of this nature is not intended, and players engaged in such activity are warned that it is so considered".

Mind you, from what I hear (2nd hand, patchy and anecdotal as they don't share stats) FD's policing of players exploiting, hacking and cheating has been laughable. Comedy inflatable hammer.

This, I already lost hope in PP for now. I stay with Hudson because I am a Fed, but what do I do? Farming NPCs every week in one or maybe two systems with my mates to maintain rank 5. Need this 50m credit boost for this ridiculous low amount of effort. 300.000 cr per kill is huge IMHO, no matter the ship, even a sidewinder gives that much credits.

This, I already lost hope in PP for now. I stay with Hudson because I am a Fed, but what do I do? Farming NPCs every week in one or maybe two systems with my mates to maintain rank 5. Need this 50m credit boost for this ridiculous low amount of effort. 300.000 cr per kill is huge IMHO, no matter the ship, even a sidewinder gives that much credits.

Well, right now Hudson and the federation really really needs you to do just a little bit more farming in the dying hours of this cycle otherwise boned by ALD. But I see what you are saying.

Atb

:( 8 Sad Chars

Funny how this topic comes up every week, and FD does not even comment anything... However I am hardly surprised...you may give as many constructive idea as you wish, if FD decides not to do anything, nothing will change.
As per their official statement: "it is working as intended".

Facts: you can counter 5th column by putting more preps on the systems below on the list.
Reality: it's a pain in the a**, and unfair.

You remember the time where some players were ramming others in the no fire zone? This exploit made A LOT of noise and FD took finally some actions about that.
You remember the last time undermine snipping was used against ALD? FD then officially said that they are thinking of a way to avoid that.
The only way to make things change to 5th column is to have the favorite Power affected by that.

If a large group of players, from any other Power, defected to ALD and prepared 5th column systems for ALD on each cycle, you can be sure that FD would find a way to fix that in no time.

5th column activity is inflicted by few and wasting the effort of many.
What is even worse, it may be done at the very last moment, and cannot be foreseen / countered, like merit sniping.

Some may argue that it is like in real life, where a few men infiltrated suffice to do a lot of damage from the inside...but in real life, these men can have the cover blown up, be identified and tracked, then brought to a stop.

This cycle is not over yet, but so far the Kumo Crew has spent 24,649 tons of preparation packages (the biggest amount I have seen so far for us!) to secure the preparation list, but we still send up with one bad system...and I can't say that we are secured until the last second of this cycle.
This amount of preps could have been used instead to fortify/secure 4 of our controlled systems, which is a shame. Because of that, we have only 2 at the moment.

If you do a search for "5C" or "fifth column" on these forums or on the Reddit Power forums you will find a LOT of existing discussion around this topic with many suggestions as to what to do about it.

FDev will make changes to PowerPlay at some point.
But since Fifth Column activity has real world parallels, and is used by real world governments - expect that the mechanism will not be totally blocked.

Fifth Column activity has become a standard tool in the strategic arsenal of all powers.
Some use it more frequently, and some more openly, but all use it.

If there is no way for your hard work to be un-done. Then there is no way for change to occur in PowerPlay.
The most popular power will roll across the galaxy.
FDev are unlikely to nerf 5C until they implement a better mechanism for change.

Last edited:
Now with pc and xbox in the same universe each can't do anything about the other, I think powerplay is going to suffer because of this

Join the enemy, get 1 or 2 of your buddies, deliver preparation packets in solo to loss making systems. Voila, you've brought the work of hundreds to nill. You can severely damage the CC economy of your enemies, allowing your preferred Power to move into their systems unabaded.

This sucks, but its the truth. This can't be in the best interest of the game. People are literally sabotaging this amazing experience that Frontier has worked so hard to create for us. Sadly, the 5c problem is rampant, and literally ruining the game, and driving many away. Where is the balance?

I think this is the main reason why multi characters is a very bad idea. At least the players doing this way have 2 main disadvantages:

a) they loose their rank with thei main Power, and works with no rewards (unlòess they attaiin a rank 5 with the "fake" Power)
b) they give up the chance to unlock a specific power-related equipment, unless they do this strategy only once every 4 weeks

Top Bottom