Beware attack imminent

If the thargoids arrived when CMDR's were there, and we could try and stave them off, that would be a lot better entertainment.... Hell leaving the players to be incharge of organising humanities defense would be really emergent gameplay.

Agree: you kinda expect that to be in a game, right? You know, make a game so that it is engaging for the players. This 2.4 release is pretty much all about NPCs battling each other - in battles that we never see... But hey, at least us human (players) are here to clean things up doing the dirty and dull stuff (hey, isn't this something for robots to do?).

Yes, the small cog trope is starting to wear a bit thin now... Rather than just wrecked remnants of human military fleets sitting in a green hazy aftermath with the survivors getting tractor beam cargoscooped by thargoids, who may or may not be the thargoids that killed the ships; we ought to be able to catch some of these fleets engaging the presumably thargoid assailants in the act, maybe even save the day by launching sufficient AX firepower to kill the thargoid or make them retreat.

Unless of course the Thargoid interceptors seen sooking up survivors at these wrecked fleets arent the thargoids who did the shooting and there are bigger nastier deadlier thargoids out there, in which case I think the community is thinking along the lines of....
4408387-0182318658-you-c.jpg

The current station attacks are kinda boring.
If you don't even see the attack taking place, what's the point.
If you did, you probably would not live to tell the tale. :rolleyes:

The Thargoid attacks are essentially just like any other BGS activity, we do not see the victims of outbreaks, nor the electoral candidates or voters for elections - we do however witness and influence the preceding events as well as the aftermath. What will affect what and where the Thargoids attack is a bit of a mystery BUT the evidence seems to be mounting against AEGIS being the primary target if not the primary cause.

If the thargoids arrived when CMDR's were there, and we could try and stave them off, that would be a lot better entertainment.... Hell leaving the players to be incharge of organising humanities defense would be really emergent gameplay.

Based on the fact that this only happens on Server Update Day (i.e., Thursday morning), we'd be "staving them off" for an entire week. Someone's going to run out of ammo eventually.

Unless, of course, you want to do a "Remember The Alamo" situation. Who wants to play the part of Jim Bowie?

If you did, you probably would not live to tell the tale. :rolleyes:

The Thargoid attacks are essentially just like any other BGS activity, we do not see the victims of outbreaks, nor the electoral candidates or voters for elections - we do however witness and influence the preceding events as well as the aftermath. What will affect what and where the Thargoids attack is a bit of a mystery BUT the evidence seems to be mounting against AEGIS being the primary target if not the primary cause.

I would gladly get trashed by a Thargoid attack rather than read about it on Galnet or whatever blogger decides to make it sound cool when it's not!
It's called participating in an event although Fdev can't make any.

I would gladly get trashed by a Thargoid attack rather than read about it on Galnet or whatever blogger decides to make it sound cool when it's not!
It's called participating in an event although Fdev can't make any.
Unlike some games, such an event if it were ever implemented directly would more than likely be over in seconds (from FD's own cinematic clip it was very shock and awe tactics) - and would be a one-time deal - ED is not like some other games which would repeat comparable incidents in a canned loop just so people can "appear" to participate in some pointless endeavour.

As for FD creating more interactive events, it is a double edged sword - personally I think such events are overrated and not in the spirit of the Elite genre. ED does have a form of events in the form of CGs, if that is not to your liking then perhaps you should be playing something else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is this the thread where we complain about something that we know the game isn't built do but we really really want it?

I'd like to put in a complaint that Elite can't make me spaghetti for dinner.

Unlike some games, such an event if it were ever implemented directly would more than likely be over in seconds (from FD's own cinematic clip it was very shock and awe tactics) - and would be a one-time deal - ED is not like some other games which would repeat comparable incidents in a canned loop just so people can "appear" to participate in some pointless endeavour.

As for FD creating more interactive events, it is a double edged sword - personally I think such events are overrated and not in the spirit of the Elite genre. ED does have a form of events in the form of CGs, if that is not to your liking then perhaps you should be playing something else. :rolleyes:

The Elite genre never had multiplayer. This version of Elite is not the same as Frontier, or the original Elite. CG's are not an event. CG's are a very poor excuse to introduce 'things'.

Frontier decided to go this route, they keep advertising Thargoids this and Guardians that, make everything sound epic each time and... deliver precisely nothing.

It isn't people who need to play something else. It's Frontier who need to step up and deliver what they promise. And that is not the 'Play it your way' slogan that too many people like to trot out as an excuse for poor game development. Next year's 'updates' should never have been needed in the first place.

The Elite genre never had multiplayer. This version of Elite is not the same as Frontier, or the original Elite. CG's are not an event. CG's are a very poor excuse to introduce 'things'.

Frontier decided to go this route, they keep advertising Thargoids this and Guardians that, make everything sound epic each time and... deliver precisely nothing.

It isn't people who need to play something else. It's Frontier who need to step up and deliver what they promise. And that is not the 'Play it your way' slogan that too many people like to trot out as an excuse for poor game development. Next year's 'updates' should never have been needed in the first place.
They have not delivered precisely nothing, just nothing YOU and some others are not interested in. That is not the same thing despite the venomous and/or misleading rhetoric some like to spin in these forums.

Whether previous Elite games had multiplayer is largely moot Elite has always been pretty much fundamentally the same game - whether it is with one player or multiple is largely moot. What complicates matters is the single shared state which means they had to take a pragmatic approach to evolving the major universe state by doing so in weekly chapters - similar to the game Defiance. That situation is highly unlikely to change.

As for major pew-pew events, forget it in the main would be my recommendation - it will save you a lot of banging your head against the brick wall (it will only happen rarely if ever - c/f the Salomi event).

From what has been shown on the Thargoid Station Attacks, it would most likely be similar to when the Kha'ak attacked and wiped out a certain sector early on in the plot of X2 (if you happened to be in the sector at the time it was pretty much instant death). You can imagine how many complaints there would be from the community with the number of rebuy screens some may unexpectedly encounter. That may be interesting and engaging content to you, but I doubt most of us think it would be.

Top Bottom