Ships Building my first proper combat ship, a few questions

I use a Chieftain for combat, mainly in H-RES so I use long ranged D rated sensors - think G2 or 3 engineered. I don't know if sensor rating helps with gimballed/turreted weapons as I use fixed weapons (PAs and Railguns) as the Chieftain is so fast and nimble.

I use a Chieftain for combat, mainly in H-RES so I use long ranged D rated sensors - think G2 or 3 engineered. I don't know if sensor rating helps with gimballed/turreted weapons as I use fixed weapons (PAs and Railguns) as the Chieftain is so fast and nimble.

I think it was indeed initially the case that higher rated sensors had better gimbal tracking than the lower classes, but people kicked up a stink for whatevs and that feature got binned. But if thats true that would have been way back in the day before my time, and maybe Im not entirely correct in that retelling.

Corvette everytime.
2 huge hard points beams efficient thermal shock.
Large slot is a efficient thermal conduit beam. (channels heat from ship to enemy)
2 medium slots overcharged beams oversized.
2 small slots are beams one is overcharged oversized the other overcharged thermal conduit.
The large and 2 small I fire when I'm hot! To dissipate the heat!!
The other 4 dps beams do the killing .. quick...I mean really quick.. constant ambient of around 60 to 130 above that I only fire the cooler combo. And watch as the heat dissipates quickly.
Sensors and life support D rate lightweight to offset mass and more importantly.. mega watts. Need the juice for the beams.
Power supply overcharge monstered.
Dizzy is weapons wired.
No scb it uses too much energy.
One heatsink 4 charges.
Lots of boosters for hull and shields.
Regular or biweave shields to save power.

Tanked 6700 hp hull to get u thru it lol.
All beams = no ammo issues. Quick kills if properly setup.
Oh almost forgot... 5 module reinforcement thingys.
Works well.

Wow ... I really need to unlock G5 Shield Booster engineering ... I can’t even get near those MJ numbers with a BiWeave!!
Didi Vaterman and Lei Chung are fairly easy to unlock and along with Selene Jean are the most important engineers to unlock

I don't fly a Vette, but a few of the commanders in our PG do. One of them has a Vette that's loaded to the gills with GSRs. He's on 14,000 thermal resist last I looked using Prismatics. Actually he recently posted his build. This is not my ship

Vette

I get dizzy just thinking about engineering one of these boats.

Corvette everytime.
2 huge hard points beams efficient thermal shock.
Large slot is a efficient thermal conduit beam. (channels heat from ship to enemy)
2 medium slots overcharged beams oversized.
2 small slots are beams one is overcharged oversized the other overcharged thermal conduit.
The large and 2 small I fire when I'm hot! To dissipate the heat!!
The other 4 dps beams do the killing .. quick...I mean really quick.. constant ambient of around 60 to 130 above that I only fire the cooler combo. And watch as the heat dissipates quickly.
Sensors and life support D rate lightweight to offset mass and more importantly.. mega watts. Need the juice for the beams.
Power supply overcharge monstered.
Dizzy is weapons wired.
No scb it uses too much energy.
One heatsink 4 charges.
Lots of boosters for hull and shields.
Regular or biweave shields to save power.

Tanked 6700 hp hull to get u thru it lol.
All beams = no ammo issues. Quick kills if properly setup.
Oh almost forgot... 5 module reinforcement thingys.
Works well.
I really don't mean this to be rude but this is a horrible build. Why on earth do you have FIVE module reinforcements? The most you'll ever need is 2 and I only use 1 on my pve builds. I'm sure you do fine with it but this is complete overkill.

And a G5 overcharged /monstered power plant? You're only using 35mw and your pp is making 52mw. You're cooking yourself and running hot AF for literally no reason. Overcharge your pp to only the amount of power needed (usually G3 or G4 on the Vette) and then use Thermal Spread for your experimental.
I don't have a single ship that uses overcharged w/ monstered except my DBX which uses an undersized pp and can easily handle the heat.

You should always use super capacitors on your shield boosters. The amount of total MJ's Super Cap gives you negates the tiny amount of resistance you get from thermo/force/blast block.

Finally, an A rated shield is a bit of a waste for pve. When you're doing PvE combat, the name of the game is to be able to stay out and fight for as long as possible without having to return to a station to repair and rearm. Some people like to use prismatics and use reboot/repair to get half of their shields back (which equates to roughly 3500mj on a proper build) or use reinforced w/ fast charge biweaves (3700mj's), allowing the shields to recharge while sitting around collecting materials after a kill or in supercruise, heading to your next location. An A rated shield gives you neither the proper amount of MJ's to reboot/repair or the ability to recharge quickly.

I hope you take this as just constructive criticism and maybe allow me to show you how to build a proper combat Vette whether it be for PvE or PvP.

Last edited:
I don't fly a Vette, but a few of the commanders in our PG do. One of them has a Vette that's loaded to the gills with GSRs. He's on 14,000 thermal resist last I looked using Prismatics. Actually he recently posted his build. This is not my ship

Vette

I get dizzy just thinking about engineering one of these boats.
Again, absolutely cooking yourself for no reason and all those GSR's for only 1000 extra MJ's that complete diminish your chances of survivability should those shields go down.

Also, what's with the lightweight engineering on the armor? It's not like this ship is going anywhere fast so why not use heavy duty?

Aside from the hardpoints, here's a meta PvP Vette build for anyone that's interested. (Obviously some people will swap out one of the HR's for a fighter bay.)

I think his Vette is cool, and who is going to burn through all that shield? Not my sort of ship, but those shields are insane, despite the drawbacks. He knows what he's doing and that's what he wanted to do. That's the way it should be.

Didi Vaterman and Lei Chung are fairly easy to unlock and along with Selene Jean are the most important engineers to unlock

yeh - got Lei (and Selene) but that only gets me G3 on Shield Boosters. Need work on Didi but currently starting my trip to Colonia which will - amongst other things - nail the 5000LY thing for Palin!

I think his Vette is cool, and who is going to burn through all that shield? Not my sort of ship, but those shields are insane, despite the drawbacks. He knows what he's doing and that's what he wanted to do. That's the way it should be.
I'd burn through it pretty easily. No banks, no HR's, no MR's, and running super hot, that ship would be easy pickins

I'd burn through it pretty easily. No banks, no HR's, no MR's, and running super hot, that ship would be easy pickins

Yeah one of the reasons I go full hull tank for pve builds is that paranoia in the back of my head that one day some sneaky pvp'ers will creep up on me in a HAZ and reverb torp me, and if that happens without additional hull and mrps, you're pretty much looking at a rebuy unless you happen to already be outside the masslock of the asteroid field and super quick on the highwake. Back in the CG days Ive had mates repeatedly lose their ships to those tactics. I'd keep telling them that cargo racks, scoops, FSD boosters, srvs and the like are wasted and that it barely takes any effort at all stop by the local station and slot in some additional armour and mrps, but they wouldnt bother and then a week or so later they'd again get sent to the rebuy screen.

Say hello to my little friend phasing!

Top Bottom