Horizons Can someone explain Horizons to me?

Sorry to ask like this, but google isn't helping.

I have the lifetime pass.

The ED launcher has the option to launch in 32bit or 64bit. Clicking the latter and pressing play doesn't launch anything. Does this mean I can't play Horizons?

If that's so, that explains why I can't land on anything. If that's not the answer, please can someone tell me how to land on a rocky planet thing? Thanks.

Also, does everyone have the orbital suite thing?

I downloaded the latest launcher (I think), but have no way to link it to my game or anything. I usually just use steam. Mine isn't blue.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Ok, so when I loaded up my game, it says that I was on or near to a planet, and that this machine doesn't support terrain generation, so do I want to reload from orbit.

:):):), I have no idea what is going on.

Launcher should be version 0.4.4347.0 with as said a blue background. Download and install the launcher until you get the right one. You will then get the option to install Horizons.

Last edited:
You might be making the logical mistake of thinking Frontier would automatically update the launcher to give you options for 32bit ED, 64bit ED, and 64bit Horizons, however it does not, instead you have to go to the website, and download an entirely different launcher for reasons i cannot fathom, then open it 2 or 3 times until Elite Dangerous HORIZONS shows up.

You might be making the logical mistake of thinking Frontier would automatically update the launcher to give you options for 32bit ED, 64bit ED, and 64bit Horizons, however it does not, instead you have to go to the website, and download an entirely different launcher for reasons i cannot fathom, then open it 2 or 3 times until Elite Dangerous HORIZONS shows up.

OK, glad I'm not stupid for not getting it then. This is what I needed to know. This is what I had no way of knowing I needed to know. Fail.

Thanks so much for your help.

Its a really clunky awkward way of DLing. I did exactly the same as everything described above. 3hrs later I am still DLing 64bit Horizons.

I'm guessing the servers are busy tonight.

Question is once I have DLed Horizons 64bit do I need to DL anything else?

Mine simply updated launcher when I started old launcher, restarted launcher, was blue installed 64 bit Horizons done. So you a little off there.

Its not the still downloading that's bothering me, its that i assumed they were competent enough to have a launcher update its-self to the latest version automatically....It did an update, then i spent 45 minutes downloading 32bit 1.5 before i realised you needed to download another version of the same launcher with not a word from the devs that it was required. I cant think of a game in the last 10 years that required you to download a new launcher (which is exactly the point of the launcher, to update). Its ameture hour.

Ok, it's now on the way. How is anyone supposed to figure that out by themselves using only the actual software? Most people don't have the time or initiative to search google/ post here.

Worrying.

To Voorheez,

No, just click the play button.

Then check out your ship internals in outfitting. I already had the planet approach suite loaded for me, but I had to swap out one cargo bay for the SRV hangar and buy the SRV, so make sure you do that before setting off for a nice planetary landing; you might want to go outside and drive around !

Last edited:
My download timed out on the 1st try. Re-starting, it took off from where it was before (not trying to re-download the whole thing).

not a complaint - there's plenty of bits flying around this time of year :)

- Slick

To Voorheez,

No, just click the play button.

Then check out your ship internals in outfitting. I already had the planet approach suite loaded for me, but I had to swap out one cargo bay for the SRV hangar and buy the SRV, so make sure you do that before setting off for a nice planetary landing; you might want to go outside and drive around !

Rgr that Cdr.

Happy trails.

Last edited:
Ok, so when I loaded up my game, it says that I was on or near to a planet, and that this machine doesn't support terrain generation, so do I want to reload from orbit.

:):):), I have no idea what is going on.

I am afraid that means your computer doesn't support the running of Horizons. Are you sure your graphic card works with Directx 11? And you have at least 4 GB of Ram?

Top Bottom