Dinosaurs Cannibalistic Majungasaurus (and how it could work)

The general idea here is to have the majungasaurus a cannibalistic mechanic for both species variety and, because it's basically an endgame dinosaurs that you can unlock on Sorna, a new challenging system for their welfare. And, what I mean by "cannibalistic mechanic", I mean having majungasauruses "Hunt" one another, rather than scavenging an already dead individual or feeding on an individual one may have killed in a fight.

While majungasaurus isn't the only dinosaur to be confirmed with any act of cannibalism, majungasaurus is the first dinosaur to be confirmed with irrefutable evidence of such behavior. In-game carnivores can scavenge on members of their own kind that have already died or what they've killed themselves after battle, especially when no other meats are around. Because of this, while other species do show or may have been cannibalistic at certain times, and in-game carnivores can feed on each other when individuals of their kind have died by some other means or by battling against each other, both when no other meats are around. I feel it's best if only the majungasaurus in-game possessed this "hunting one another" trait.

But how could this idea workout well, especially since this will definitely affect saves for people who may house more than one together?

I think it could workout like this:
Carnivores in-game can thrive in an enclosure with at least only one of the two/three types of feeders you can give them with the right amount of dispensing time. However, spinosaurs in this game are unique when it comes to feeders, besides having three to choose from for them.

Spinosaurs will prefer the fish feeder when one is nearby and available to them, instead of a regular ground meat feeder if also where a spinosaur is. However, if there are any goats around as well from a goat dispenser, they will go for them as well. The disadvantage is this for the spinosaurs, some thing which I've experienced with my baryonyx pair on Sanctuary, with a goat dispenser releasing one goat for every 5 minutes: If there are too many goat in an enclosure, the spinosaurs will go for them more often then going for the fish feeder, just like what they would do if there are any herbivores they can instantly kill housed together.

Inspired by this spinosaurid feeder and hunting behavior, this is an inspiration and starting point on how to make majungasaurus a hunter of their own kind in-game.

Majungasaurs will actively hunt their own kind if there are no available goat dispensers for them. You can keep as many as you want together, but the catch is that they will "Hunt" their own kind for food, just like how any carnivore will "Hunt" any herbivore they can instantly kill like a hadrosaur, or an ornithomimid, or even a goat. By having an available goat dispenser, you can control their cannibalistic hunting cravings, and it has to be a goat dispenser, otherwise they will turn on each other and "Hunt" one another, even if you have a regular meat dispenser with them.

I can see the hunt and kill animation sequences play out like this:
One hunting majungasaurus will come up behind another who would be looking around, as any insta kill herbivore would do. When the sequence plays, the hunting majungasaur will sprint over to the other who would look behind itself, only to get grabbed by the side of the neck by the hunting individual. The hunter quickly jumps in front of the other, still latched on before the other shakes out of the grip, making the hunting majungasaur let go, before both of them quickly move in to bite each other. The hunting majungasaur dodges the other's attack and bites back from below the neck. It abruptly lets go again, but with the other's neck high up and vulnerable. The scene moves like a flash, in that the hunting majungasaur wastes no time biting the neck area again, both heads up in the air. The hunter then thrusts the helpless majungasaur down to the ground where it then finishes it off. The final blow could either be ripping out the prey majungasaur's throat, or maybe just holding it in place until the looser drops limp, and the hunting majungasaurus lets go before roaring out.

Last edited:
Aren't all the carnivores in the game already cannibals? They just eat any body as far as I know. I don't see a need for such a specific feature.

Aren't all the carnivores in the game already cannibals? They just eat any body as far as I know. I don't see a need for such a specific feature.
They don’t “hunt” each other for food though. They can eat each other but not by those they “hunted”. This is already explained above.

Why would they hunt specifically for their own species? It makes little sense if there are other food sources available. Generally cannibalism in animals is a last resort if there are no other food sources available. Or sometimes when territory is a factor, animals of the same species might kill each other and the victor could then eat the loser. At that point it's a free meal after all.
And we also already have carnivores that do not tolerate each other. Putting them together will result in them fighting and one ending up dead. So this really is already built into the game.

Why would they hunt specifically for their own species? It makes little sense if there are other food sources available. Generally cannibalism in animals is a last resort if there are no other food sources available. Or sometimes when territory is a factor, animals of the same species might kill each other and the victor could then eat the loser. At that point it's a free meal after all.
And we also already have carnivores that do not tolerate each other. Putting them together will result in them fighting and one ending up dead. So this really is already built into the game.
What I mean is this:

Carnivores in-game will hunt anything that they can instantly kill (goats and certain herbivores) regardless if there’s a meat or fish feeder with them.

Since spinosaurs have an AI that gives them a preference for which feeder to eat from, how about giving majungas a preference for what living prey item to hunt down? In this case, if there are no goats or herbivores they can take down, their preference will switch from those to each other, even when content.

I guarantee you, not everyone who plays the game will use goat dispensers for all of their carnivores. By implementing this idea, this will give them a new way to take care of majungas for the conceptual idea for dinosaur care variety.

This is a video game you know. Not every little detail has to 100% match reality all of the time.

For further reference, the idea was inspired from this scene of a documentary where a female and her children were scavenging a corpse with plenty of meat. But when a male majungasaurus came and after the female killed him, she and her kids decided to feed off his body instead.
Source: https://youtu.be/Qqs8uRBD56A

Last edited:
Since spinosaurs have an AI that gives them a preference for which feeder to eat from, how about giving majungas a preference for what living prey item to hunt down? In this case, if there are no goats or herbivores they can take down, their preference will switch from those to each other, even when content.
Because it makes no sense. Carnivores won't go after prey that is specifically hard to catch or kill if there is easier prey. Killing another carnivore is generally much harder than some defenseless herbivore or carrion.
Really, I don't see a need for this.

Because it makes no sense. Carnivores won't go after prey that is specifically hard to catch or kill if there is easier prey. Killing another carnivore is generally much harder than some defenseless herbivore or carrion.
Still doesn't change my thoughts though, because it's just a video game diversity idea like how spinosaurs would prefer fish feeders over meat feeders, while this wouldn't be exactly true if this were real life, and would be wonderful for a Jurassic World based game like this, especially since the franchise is all about unexpected chaos and consequences rather than just exclusively about natural dinosaur behavior.

Last edited:

In game the defining feature of Majungasaurus is supposed to be that it was a cannibal. I have always wondered why it didnt have a social rating of one because of that specifically. Despite what you may consider "realistic" the dino ai is not realistic to begin with and people have complained that all of the dinos are samey and boring. gabeluna27 made a good observation with the spinos in that even though they prefer fish feeders above all else they are statistically more likely to go for goats or dinos in their enclosure simply because there are more of them available at once.

Using that logic I think they should lower Majungasuaurus's social to one, disable stress if there are more than one in an enclosure or at least give them a soft cap of 1 other, and give it a preference for their own kind. This would be balanced out by rasing their rating and either using goat feeders in an majungasaurus exhibit so that you can house more than one but still risk the chance of them eating eachother. I would take it farther and make it so that they prefer their own kind even over herbivores potentially making them the one large carnivore to be housed with some kind of herbivore (maybe armored?).

In game the defining feature of Majungasaurus is supposed to be that it was a cannibal. I have always wondered why it didnt have a social rating of one because of that specifically. Despite what you may consider "realistic" the dino ai is not realistic to begin with and people have complained that all of the dinos are samey and boring. gabeluna27 made a good observation with the spinos in that even though they prefer fish feeders above all else they are statistically more likely to go for goats or dinos in their enclosure simply because there are more of them available at once.

Using that logic I think they should lower Majungasuaurus's social to one, disable stress if there are more than one in an enclosure or at least give them a soft cap of 1 other, and give it a preference for their own kind. This would be balanced out by rasing their rating and either using goat feeders in an majungasaurus exhibit so that you can house more than one but still risk the chance of them eating eachother. I would take it farther and make it so that they prefer their own kind even over herbivores potentially making them the one large carnivore to be housed with some kind of herbivore (maybe armored?).
Well, I did state that they can hunt each other even when content, so yeah. The point here is figuring out how to make this general idea work because, like the spinosaur wetland needs, this will guarantee affect everyone's saves, specifically for those who may house more than one already.

Alternatively, the behavior for the dinosaur may not "Hunting" when hunting down another majunga, but instead be a new behavioral action called "Cannibalizing", that way, in technical terms, it would diverse it from the actual "Hunting" behavior. For the icon, I where the "Hunting" behavior is three claw marks, the "Cannibalizing" icon would be an open skull facing forward.

Just a little detail I thought of sharing if "Hunting" can't have an implementation in the way as I said above through development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom