Newcomer / Intro Cannisters self destruct?

I was picking up dumped canisters after destroying a wanted ship, there were a lot of them and as I was scooping the canisters, a new ship appeared next to me.
It was annoying because it kept bumping into me and impact destroying the canisters near the one I was scooping.
So I target the ship and it's also wanted. I quickly dispatch the ship and return to scooping. Suddenly the canisters start bursting like popcorn (no I didn't hit them).
Is it normal for canisters to have a limited lifespan?

Yes they deteriorate after a certain amount of time. Though you'll find canisters in other scenarios don't degrade (in uss's)

Yes, you only get a finite amount of time to scoop them up.

It shows the integrity of the canister in the contacts pane of your LH screen when you target the canister.

Yeah its the same with mining (dont know if you have tried or are going to) dont blowoff a load of chunks, happened to me, just emptied a full laser on a rock that had 30-40% palladium and a pirate took a fancy to me so i blew him up and when i got back the chunks had all gone.

I do think the time is a little short though. It could do with a bit of tweaking to allow less experienced pilots to learn to use the scoop properly. It can be a pain if you're not that experienced because, by the time you've scooped up one or two, the others have popped. Even a more experienced pilot can sometimes find the last two or three popping before they've scooped them all up.

I think the timeout is something like two minutes. If you need help with it, play the tutorial missions until you're confident, it's much easier that way.

Top Bottom