Newcomer / Intro Canopy gone equals death

Just brought an asp explorer to mine (upgrade from my previous cobra 3) and learnt two things.
1. The cobra 4 is a pre order thing from years ago.
2. If you lose your canopy then you die unless you are within minutes of thruster power from a dock.
Reboot/repair fixed my shield (the only other broken module), I could make life kits but as I was 700ls from safety and supercruise wouldn't work, I'd need a lot more than I could make.
Floating in space slowly dying with all my cargo floating past me (npc apparently had infinite hatch breakers) with several 'police' watching.
Am I missing something or does this make the asp a death trap?

you can still use sc not to mention fly to another system where the nearest station is closer.
its the whole reason for different grades of life support
I only ever use D and have always been ably to either get to the closest station or jump to a system where the station is close enough.
the little radar shows if you are centered enough on target for the station if you have zero HUD.
and as long as you don't panic you should easily have enough time.
once you are close enough to a station it becomes pretty clear which bright white dot it is.

any ship can lose its canopy, I recommend class A life support till you get used to flying without HUD to stations

No, but honestly without a build description no one can say. Maybe you're flying shieldless with no armor, then yes it is a deathtrap. 🤷‍♂️

1. You can synthesize oxygen for your life support
2. Supercruise is not affected by a broken canopy
3. That's why there are A-rated life supports, these give you 25 minutes of oxygen per charge
4. It's the same for every ship - if you let your canopy break (or exceed the powerplant capacity without setting priorities) you run on spare oxygen. But yes, some ships are more exposed than others - most (in)famous example would be the Vulture. Before engineers, it was not uncommon to build a Vulture so that life support switched off when weapons were deployed, to get more power for the weapons.
5. NPCs don't have unlimited hatch breaker limpets - and they don't need them, same as you. If unopposed, a single hatch breaker will pull IIRC 6 or so cargo items.

6. Yes, the AspX is a death trap 😁. Especially for NPCs in CZs. Moderate manoeuvrability, a fat and easy to hit cross section and not enough power or internals for good defence make them my favourite opponents (with vipers on the other end of the scale).

A bit of a tangent but you can also use an AFMU to fix stuff but it won't fix itself or your PP. And you need to find a slot to install one in.

I don't think an AFMU can fix a broken (i.e. you're running on spare oxygen) canopy. Damaged yes, but not broken. I thought you needed repair limpets for that.

In addition to all the good advice above keep in mind that if you fly to an outpost you will have to land on the pad before you can go of the emergency air supply, however if you fly to a station as soon as you are through the slot there is breathable air around you so you are safe even before you land.

Having run out of air just a couple of metres above the pad of an outpost I know which I would pick given equal flight times.

Must of been a bug that my supercruise wouldn't work then.
Not necessarily.
You said "mine" - were you inside a ring when you were attacked? In this case, you probably still were masslocked. You need to get a bit outside from the ring (like you need to get some distance from a station) before you can engage SC.
Other options include larger ships nearby, FSD interrupt missiles or (unlikely with regular NPCs) Grom Bombs (i.e. FSD disruptors as powerplay rewards from Iuri Grom)

I was pulled out of supercruise travelling between asteroid belts (generous term as each was only around 5 asteroids).
Maybe one of the 'police' was a large ship, I wasn't aware ships inhibit as well.
Still much to learn.

Another reason for the FSD not working could be that perhaps you had your hardpoints deployed.
(You mention boosting, so I would exclude cargo scoop or landing gear, because you are not even able to boost when these are deployed).

I was pulled out of supercruise travelling between asteroid belts (generous term as each was only around 5 asteroids).
Maybe one of the 'police' was a large ship, I wasn't aware ships inhibit as well.
Still much to learn.
Unless things have changed, asteroid belts are pretty bad for mining. You're better off going to a ring around a planet/moon for mining.

1. You can synthesize oxygen for your life support
Great point about synthesis, and not something I would have thought of in a moment of panic.

I'd suggest supercruise assist would also be your friend in this situation as the broken canopy usually means you can't see your target station and times for when to slow down.

broken canopy usually means you can't see your target station and times for when to slow down.
While you can’t see the station directly at distance, once you get closer it is pretty obvious which white dot it is. Until then you can fly using the compass to ensure you are flying in the right direction. You can use the distance/speed indicators in the lower left to judge slowdown or you can fly slightly off target to actually get the timing in many ships.

Some ships are more likely to lose the canaopy than others, but all can be prevented by fitting large MRPs, then you don't need to worry about it. The Vulture needs both the two large slots (class 5 and 4) filled with MRPs.

Top Bottom