Newcomer / Intro Can't Choose Federation, Empire, or Alliance?

Excited to start playing the game but noticed we can't choose a side? Is that even an option? Guess I didn't consider that wouldn't be an option when starting out. Thanks!

"Choose side" in the ship right-panel is restricted to the Warzones or Conflicts zones, where you exit supercruise to find 2 opposing forces fighting each-other. You can then select a side.
Selecting a faction outside these zones have no function.
If you want to side with the faction however, you may start doing mission, trading or killing for them - you will then gain standing with them and see some progression through elite-ranking. Meaning you may get better offerings from them later, and a chance to participate in their factional missions / events on their side (later).

Ok so just starting a new Cmdr (sidewinder) always defaults to a random federation location? I just want to make sure I didnt miss anything when making my character. Thanks again for the help.

Ok so just starting a new Cmdr (sidewinder) always defaults to a random federation location? I just want to make sure I didnt miss anything when making my character. Thanks again for the help.

You start with a neutral standing - regardless where your starting location places you. You can then leave that place. However, the universe doesn't pay too much attention to your standing while you're neutral. and it may take a few days to become friendly with a station-owner (corp, faction or similar).
Only when you have gained enough standing with several places the faction starts taking notice of you, giving your friendly status.

However, if you're on a killing-spree it may be quite easy to gain hostile standing with some systems, because you are killing some friends of them - even if they are wanted.

Top Bottom