Can't find my friend in the social tab

I've been playing for a couple of years, and my friend just bought a copy of the game. We went through the tutorials, he's left the newbie systems, and he and I are in the same system, on the same station. Not only that, we're physically sitting right next to each other and can see each other's screens. When either of us goes into the social menu in order to add each other to our friends list, neither of us can see the other. We've tried it in open (we're never in the same instance), we've tried it from the main menu, nothing.

Anybody have any ideas?

If you have not been set as friends yet, one of you needs to send a friend request through the main menu. Select Social and search for you friend to send him a request. Once accepted, you will see him or her in the comms menu in-game. If you've done this I don't know what the issue is.

If you have not been set as friends yet, one of you needs to send a friend request through the main menu. Select Social and search for you friend to send him a request. Once accepted, you will see him or her in the comms menu in-game. If you've done this I don't know what the issue is.
Yeah, tried that. We can't find each other in the main menu, either.

Are you on the same platform?

Yeah, tried that. We can't find each other in the main menu, either.

If you are same platform and ran a search for your friend's commander name from the main menu, and he doesn't appear, maybe he blocked you :)

both parties need upnp enabled in both pc and router or ports forwarded in order to get put in the same instance
still if the servers are having a bad day good luck with that...…………..

The problem isn't getting in the same instance, the problem is the fact that we can't find each other in the social tab. As far as each of our copies are concerned, the other doesn't exist. Not from the main menu before joining the game, not from Social tab while in game (open or otherwise), nothing. And yes, we do have upnp enabled and ports forwarded.

are you both using a pc?
have you other friends in game that you speak too thus confirming no user error
are you sure you have sent out friend request and invites accepted etc
this wont work if you on pc and him on a console if that's the case
gimme your cmdr name's an ill run a search pattern to see if I can find if either of you exist or are just a figment of my imagination :unsure:
alternatively add me as a friend I can always boot your arsk once coms established no offence (same forum name in caps)

Last edited:
This has always been troublesome for me...

Today I am trying to add a freind AND no matter what i do I can not add the other person.
They can see and add me BUT I donot get any freind request AT ALL...

I have many freinds and we regularly play together.

around 3k hours in game
been playing for years

Both PC's are in my man cave, one is launching from Steam and the other is running from the Epic game store... There should be no differance in game versions all files would be the same.

Both on the same network and both able to play games and share files with each other.

I even created a forum account with my EGS Elite and I get this msg 'Thanks for registering. Your registration must now be approved by an administrator. You will receive an email when a decision has been taken.' I did not get this with my Steam login and I made the forum account linked to my Steam 10mins before I made the EGS one yet it recived no such msg or limitation's

Either Steam and EGS cant be freinds and play together or this lock out untill my account is approved has something to do with it...

Last edited:
This has always been troublesome for me...

Today I am trying to add a freind AND no matter what i do I can not add the other person.
They can see and add me BUT I donot get any freind request AT ALL...

I have many freinds and we regularly play together.

around 3k hours in game
been playing for years

Both PC's are in my man cave, one is launching from Steam and the other is running from the Epic game store... There should be no differance in game versions all files would be the same.

Both on the same network and both able to play games and share files with each other.
(emphasis by me)

I think you have a networking issue because of the peer-to-peer nature of Elite. Both your ED PCs are probably trying to use the same network port to connect (I think the default port is 5100). You need to have both your instances on different ports, and unless UPnP is set up and working correctly, I suggest you set up port forwarding in your router. You need to set up a forwarding rule for each PC, using the (different!) ports you select in ED's networking settings.

Take a look here.

Top Bottom