Horizons Can't get my new FSS/DSS bindings to stick.

Help!!!

I read on a post somewhere that once you go into key bindings after the new FSS patch, make sure you assign all new key bindings and save or else you may lose all your current custom key bindings. So I did that by just assigning random [shift] and [cntl] keys to all the new FSS/DSS binding slots because the new FSS/DSS tuning system is so un-intuitive that I had no idea how I wanted the keys mapped. Now finally I sit down to explore this whole new system and I start deciding how I want all these new functions assigned. I go into options and change the joystick/key bindings one by one as I see fit and apply. I go back into the game and all is good. I analyze the next step of the system scan process, and and go into options/controls again and all my previous key binds have been replaced by the original random key binds I initially put in! After multiple iterations of this I begin to realize that there is no way for any new key bindings to stick!

OMG!!

Am I misunderstanding something here?

I really hope there is solution for this.

Thanks!

There is a well known "feature" of the game that if you have any copies of binds files in the same directory, changes you make will not be saved. Changing the file names doesn't help as the game looks at line 2 of files in the directory and uses the name in that line (Root PresetName).

So go to:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

and move anything other than "custom.3.0.binds", "StartPreset.start" and any log files to a different directory.

Changes should now be saved, if not then you might need to alter permissions, ask here if necessary.

(Hint - editing your binds file to use a different name from "custom" will prevent your bindings being lost on updates or controller missing - google, search or ask on here how to do this if you want to.)

Last edited:
There is a well known "feature" of the game that if you have any copies of binds files in the same directory, changes you make will not be saved. Changing the file names doesn't help as the game looks at line 2 of files in the directory and uses the name in that line (Root PresetName).

So go to:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

and move anything other than "custom.3.0.binds", "StartPreset.start" and any log files to a different directory.

Changes should now be saved, if not then you might need to alter permissions, ask here if necessary.

(Hint - editing your binds file to use a different name from "custom" will prevent your bindings being lost on updates or controller missing - google, search or ask on here how to do this if you want to.)

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately this did not work for me. With only the two files "custom.3.0.binds", "StartPreset.start" in the main directory, When I reentered the game, the bindings file was not recognized and some game default key binding was loaded. Any thoughts? I noticed that the "custom.3.0.binds" file is just XML, in your experience can I edit this directly and the game won't have problems with that?

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately this did not work for me. With only the two files "custom.3.0.binds", "StartPreset.start" in the main directory, When I reentered the game, the bindings file was not recognized and some game default key binding was loaded. Any thoughts? I noticed that the "custom.3.0.binds" file is just XML, in your experience can I edit this directly and the game won't have problems with that?

Yes you can edit the file without fear. I just use notepad but other apps are more HTML layout friendly.

If you copy the custom.3.0.binds file then rename it to "name.3.0.binds", remembering to change the name in line 2 of the file to name then that will not be overwritten in the event of something not being recognised. (The game overwrites the "custom" one willy-nilly.)

If the game has errors in loading the binds you should have a file "BindingLoadingErrors.log" in the Bindings directory.

Might there also be an issue with the game not having permission to change files in your appdata tree - perhaps set the client to run as administrator?

The controls management system in the game is abysmal - well actually there is no controls management system. :rolleyes:

You might find a user-published set of bindings you can either use or modify for yourself at https://edrefcard.info/

Top Bottom