Can't place shops inside a habitat?

I'm building a hippo pool with a large underwater viewing area (probably 100 X 200 feet, surrounded by viewing windows, tunnel in from below connecting to the rest of the world. I'd like to place a few shops inside this area to draw people in, but for whatever reason I can't get any shops to place. They'll just say obstructed even when the entire building grid is clear, and the path under it was built off a grid on land that was flattened before construction. Also won't let me place them on the mezzanine level of path that I built as the ceiling of the enclosure. I can place a building shell just fine, but not the actual shops. I've had this problem before, trying to place shops directly above an exhibit, and never solved it in that case. I've tried it with the barriers as perimeter and non-perimeter, no effect. Is there a vertical clearance requirement for shops not shown on the building grid? Is there something else I need to do with the barriers? Is it even possible to have shops inside exhibits, even with barriers in place? Can I delete the underlying path and try placing them then? (Of course, now that I'm posting this, getting new ideas). I'll cut myself off here and wait for responses. Thanks in advance!

Nope, not possible to place shops in habitats. BUT (I never tested it), maybe it is possible if you place a "null-barier" (invisible one) inside your habitat and place the shop in that area?
(if you understand what I mean).

You know, I do have another exhibit built on a similar concept (central island with shops, accessible only by tunnel) that has a null barrier around it and that has never had a problem. Thing is, for this one I'm working on now the shops are (would be) already fully surrounded by physical barriers.

Nope, not possible to place shops in habitats. BUT (I never tested it), maybe it is possible if you place a "null-barier" (invisible one) inside your habitat and place the shop in that area?
(if you understand what I mean).
Should work, if you olace the null barrier right before the shop and the shop at an edge of the habitat. If you put the shop in the centre, animals might often touch the invisible barrier and be considered as escaped.

Never tried it myself though, just guessing. But now thatI think of it... I have shops in an walkable habitat (peafowls) in Königsfreudenand it works just fine.

You know, I do have another exhibit built on a similar concept (central island with shops, accessible only by tunnel) that has a null barrier around it and that has never had a problem. Thing is, for this one I'm working on now the shops are (would be) already fully surrounded by physical barriers.

Do you have a walk-in gate? And are you sure the animals are not considered dangerous?

Nope, not possible to place shops in habitats.

Wrong, its possible to place shops right into habitas. Did this myself, though so far I didnt test it with dangerous animals, as in if the guests would actually go in there. (but placing it inside is still possible.) Though I think if the place is made unable to reach for the animals, it should work that the guests go there aswell?:unsure:

@sturmovik Hmm, if its an underwater viewing area my best guess is the water is in the way? Water often makes building of shops/ways and such impossible, even when you think the water should be far enough away.
You could remove the water and try again. If its then not working (or there already isnt water inside) then sadly I dont know why its not working.
Pictures might be helpful.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Wrong, its possible to place shops right into habitas. Did this myself, though so far I didnt test it with dangerous animals, as in if the guests would actually go in there. (but placing it inside is still possible.) Though I think if the place is made unable to reach for the animals, it should work that the guests go there aswell?:unsure:

@sturmovik Hmm, if its an underwater viewing area my best guess is the water is in the way? Water often makes building of shops/ways and such impossible, even when you think the water should be far enough away.
You could remove the water and try again. If its then not working (or there already isnt water inside) then sadly I dont know why its not working.
Pictures might be helpful.

Ah, my bad. It appears I was wrong. Thanks for stating the correct information.

@Luuknoord Ah, the forum really is a great place to learn new things about the game one didnt think was possible:) But yes, its really much possible and I also re-checked and I do have some shops that count as inside dangerous animal habitas elephants and lions, for example), but as I made them inaccessible for the animals, its working fine:) Totally inside each habitat is also possible,as long as the way to go there is safe^^ The game does not care if its inside a habitat and also makes no difference between a dangerous or guest-friendly animal in that regard.
(By the way, I just noticed my original answer looks pretty blunt, but I really did not mean it that way. Sorry about that!😳)

@sturmovik I could think about another thing thats making it unable to work, for some reason the shops cant be placed too close to barriers, even if there should be enough space, the shop grid cant get to close inside/behind the barrier. From memory (but I cant fully confirm it right now) you can place the barrier colser to the shop, if you bulid the shop first and then the barrier. Maybe you could try that if it isnt because of the water:)

Last edited:
Hello, unfortunately I have no pictures from my African compound enclosure of how I placed the shops in it.

But I like to show them the peacock enclosure.
I simply put a railing on the path at the African enclosure.
However, the path must be at ground level or elevated, otherwise gazelles, antelopes and the like jump over the barrier.

I have no experience climbing animals yet!

I always offered the animals and zookeepers the opportunity to overcome these blocked paths with bridges or underpasses.

And you don't need a visitor gate to lay paths in enclosures.

Of course you have to build a barrier for the animals.

Love from
Gabi

Screenshot 2020-02-03 23.23.08.pngScreenshot 2020-02-17 18.29.04.pngScreenshot 2020-04-02 18.48.03.png

The water might well be the problem, especially since the barriers only extend one meter above the surface. That's actually caused other problems with this exhibit, which I've always been able to solve by temporarily raising the barriers several meters. Should have thought of that before posting. I'll try this and other fixes mentioned and post the results. Thanks again everyone!

Hello, unfortunately I have no pictures from my African compound enclosure of how I placed the shops in it.

But I like to show them the peacock enclosure.
I simply put a railing on the path at the African enclosure.
However, the path must be at ground level or elevated, otherwise gazelles, antelopes and the like jump over the barrier.

I have no experience climbing animals yet!

I always offered the animals and zookeepers the opportunity to overcome these blocked paths with bridges or underpasses.

And you don't need a visitor gate to lay paths in enclosures.

Of course you have to build a barrier for the animals.

Love from
Gabi

View attachment 171525View attachment 171526View attachment 171527
That is about the coolest terrain work I've ever seen in the game

OK so this is what I had to do to make the shops work. Had to put them outside and above the height of the inner barrier (there's a tunnel into the lower level that you can't see in this shot connecting this viewing area to the rest of the park). Looks a bit weird, but I can certainly work with this with scenery. Hope this helps someone in the future, and thanks again everyone!
Untitled.jpg

Hello Sturmovik,
thank you for the praise.
If you don't have that yet, then you should take a look around in the workshop, there are many, many nicer things.
There are real artists out there.
They also worked more with objects.

To your ways:
If you cover the path with floor slabs, then you don't see that it is curved.
If that bothers you at all.

I don't know if you can remove the curb on elevated paths, but maybe it's worth a try.
This way you can only make the floor slabs slightly higher so that the feet of visitors and employees are not cut off too much.
It looks more like a large platform, even if the guests cannot walk everywhere, and wherever the path leads down you can attach a beautiful self-designed railing, fence, house or similar.

Love from
Gabi

Top Bottom