Changes to Franchise mode/zoo management

I've been thinking a lot about this and thought I'd share my thoughts for whatever it's worth. I fully understand this isn't possible for PZ, and likely (the presumed) PZ2 is too far down the road for it to matter. But maybe if there are pieces you like you can include them.

Here's what I've come up with, PZ is really a game of three aspects: animals, building, zoo management.
Animals: PZ is incredible. Maybe the best ever.
Building: PZ is incredible. Maybe the best ever. The game should embrace it more than it does (suggestion below).
Management: Needs work.

BUILDING
MMO features:
I'll start off with building. This is clearly what brings a lot of the community together but all of it happens outside the game. That's a problem. You publish Elite: Dangerous so you have people on staff familiar with the pitfalls of MMOs. The enormous missed opportunity in PZ is to have people walk through others zoos (from a tegidcam perspective) and -- while going through the zoos -- offer praise for others work. "Praise" here has to be more than "good job!" it should be a core mechanic where builders get in game rewards for their work. Obviously there are pitfalls and you would probably need a small pack of economists on staff to ensure this works well and isn't either impossible for people who aren't DeLadySigner to get points or gamed by groups of friends but the upside is the most important aspect of the game for many becomes an integral part of the game.
Biomes between zones:
This is a minor thing, but modern zoos in Alaska can easily build an exhibit that looks exactly like a Congolese rain forest. With zoo size and success, you should be able to earn the right to use biomes outside of your base biome.

ZOO MANAGEMENT
This is where I think the biggest opportunity lies. When someone dreams of running a zoo, how many people think: "It would be so cool to sell 20 million goliath beetles every 10 minutes." It seems to me that far more fun would be in the actual design of the park. The difficulty levels could and should turn these on and off.
Habitat Design:
Right now, any habitat can be used for any animal of the same region. Habitats for an elephant, a gazelle, a giraffe, a hippo, and a lion have essentially no differences. Whereas in any real zoo, they have different needs. The elephant and the hippo need special cages to they can be accessed for medical treatment without injuring the keeper. There needs to be a way to get the lions in and out of their cages without becoming lunch. Hippos needs truly massive amounts of water filtering. So the management part of the game -- at least at the hard level -- should require building the backstage areas. Treatment facilities. Plumbing and electical grids. (Maybe on an easy difficulty the computer handles all of this, Medium requires the player the handle it for for the habitats, hard requires it for the habitats and facilities.) Make the design process encompass what the animals really need to survive in captivity.
Animal acquisition:
The game becomes -- for me -- a bit of a grind because everything is the same and all animals acquired through CC. Whereas, in reality, getting a giant panda or a dingo for your zoo is 100x more complicated than getting an African Elephant. The game should reflect that. A giant panda should be a gift from the PRC to zoos who have shown the ability to run an effective breeding program (breeding programs could also get a massive overhaul so the options aren't either "free for all" or "no babies for you"). It gives players a deeper goal and brings them back into the core game. In the US, it is shockingly easy to get a zebra or a lemur or even a bengal tiger, but if you want an African Elephant, you better know someone in the AZA.
Seasonal considerations:
In midwest zoos in the US, one of the challenges is having animals outside and happy in the summer and inside and happy in the winter. And, moreover, they have to be viewable in both scenarios. With the lightning fast (and often silly -- see snow in July) season changes this doesn't really make sense and, moreover, doesn't matter because just throwing down heaters/coolers solves the problem. But it should realistically be harder to keep an elephant alive in NYC than in Cairo. Similarly, the game could take this into account and New Yorkers be more thankful for seeing an elephant than Egyptians.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure many people reading this will think I am insane, but this is the Zoo game I would love to play.

Last edited:
I agree and love all these ideas. Can I add that I would love if they added challenges to franchise and challenge mode akin to ZT2's challenge mode. It made zoos in that game feel so alive. Sometimes you'd take in a rescue. Other times you'd have to repair after an earthquake. Sometimes, you'd need to take pictures for an ad for your zoo, or your workers would go on strike. I loved things like that, that give your zoo life.

While I really love those ideas, especially the backstage area part, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It's been almost 2 years and they couldn't even be bothered to give us the option to add more than one keeper gate to our habitats, let alone add gates like we have in JWE that you can open and close manually to manage where your animals can go or not. Heck it took until the last update for them to finally add the most basic mesh pieces to build with and even those are bugged and won't let guests see through them. So yeah, my hopes for any of that more realistic animal management and backstage stuff are as low as can be, though I'd really love to be surprised and proven wrong.

While I really love those ideas, especially the backstage area part, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It's been almost 2 years and they couldn't even be bothered to give us the option to add more than one keeper gate to our habitats, let alone add gates like we have in JWE that you can open and close manually to manage where your animals can go or not. Heck it took until the last update for them to finally add the most basic mesh pieces to build with and even those are bugged and won't let guests see through them. So yeah, my hopes for any of that more realistic animal management and backstage stuff are as low as can be, though I'd really love to be surprised and proven wrong.
I’m not sure this is completely fair (note where I said it’s impossible in PZ). These are core gameplay decisions and can’t be easily changed, as they require modifications to the engine which is not particularly easy. That’s the kind of thing you rewrite for 2.0. Frontier has shown that they do listen (see Meerkats) but we can’t expect miracles.

"Praise" here has to be more than "good job!" it should be a core mechanic where builders get in game rewards for their work.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of this. Walking through other peoples zoos, yeah, okay with it and can be a true inspiration - with the option to turn visitors off, of course. But praise other peoples work for rewards - no. Why? Cause there are alot of players who really suck at building or just don't care, cause they're more into the animals and zoo management. That would mean, these people would just never get rewards.

Let's face reality: There are extremely talented builders out there (just take a look at the workshop on steam), and even those with own Youtube or Twitch channels. People would be flooding their zoos, praise their stuff to no end. Little Richie Nobody who never uploaded anything, is no part of whatever community and just sucks at building would be totally left out. Doesn't seem fair and this is why I don't like this idea.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of this. Walking through other peoples zoos, yeah, okay with it and can be a true inspiration - with the option to turn visitors off, of course. But praise other peoples work for rewards - no. Why? Cause there are alot of players who really suck at building or just don't care, cause they're more into the animals and zoo management. That would mean, these people would just never get rewards.

Let's face reality: There are extremely talented builders out there (just take a look at the workshop on steam), and even those with own Youtube or Twitch channels. People would be flooding their zoos, praise their stuff to no end. Little Richie Nobody who never uploaded anything, is no part of whatever community and just sucks at building would be totally left out. Doesn't seem fair and this is why I don't like this idea.

so the first concern: you simply have to make it like WoW arena rewards where the rewards are only applicable to builders or it’s just one of several ways to the same reward. Problem solved.

second concern is where the economists come in. In very simple terms, you would add the equivalent of a tax to praise for DLS, Rudi, etc such that they will still get rewards but less so. The actual mechanic should be the visitor “buying” something — think a lottery ticket type item — for their praise. It is very complicated but has huge upside — and I certainly don’t consider myself an elite builder.

Last edited:
I agree!

BTW could you edit the post to be in bullet lists for readability? Makes it easier for devs and mods to read and analyze.

I think I would probably enjoy some of these as an extra (not required) game addition, or an additional difficulty mode. Right now my "backstages" tend to be confined to the in-game power/water/heating/cooling/staff-building systems, and my shelters only go so far as is needed for in-game animal welfare. Having a reason to focus on them, or more in-game mechanics where they would matter more, might help me focus more on this aspect. (Of course, it might also get really annoying, which is they I'd prefer it as a separate mode/difficulty level, so I wouldn't have to do it all the time, only when I wanted to).

I like the idea of having this being specifically a franchise reward for builders, because many players only play in sandbox where they can turn off so many of the features. By adding a building reward to the franchise mode specifically, it would encourage people to play with more of the features and mechanics turned on, adding an extra challenge for those players. (They could, of course, still play in sandbox and ignore all the game mechanics, just without the rewards).

The idea of being limited to specific animals by region/biome, or otherwise building up to animals from outside of that region/biome, also intrigues me -- again as an extra difficulty level, not required for everyone. They did a little bit of this in the campaign where you were limited, and the idea of unlocking animals as you go the same way we unlock research in interesting. (I admit that it feels strange to write that, since my big push is always for more animals, instead of less!)

Top Bottom