Civilian Massacre missions and escaping targets

So I’ve been running this “Wet Work” mission for The Dark Wheel and turns out they want me to kill 10 civilians. Not very admirable but whatevs, working in increasing their faction’s influence. I’ve killed 3 so far and I’m now WANTED in the target system, which hasn’t been too much of a hassle other than avoiding interdiction from the occasional bounty hunter. Problem I’m having however is when I find mission targets, it’s usually a group of 4 ships. I usually kill the first one I target but by time I’m fine the other 3 have escaped via supercruise. I’ve tracked their wakes and followed to other systems but when I kill them after they escape to another system, I don’t get the credit for the mission (possible bug). I’ve also tried targeting FSD on two ships then focusing on one but the other always escapes.

So my question is, what’s the best module to target to prevent my mark from escaping other than FSD? Is it better to target thrusters? Power plant? power distributor? Etc... is there a better way to prevent targets from escaping?

It's civilian targets, so I would expect them to try and run even faster to be honest. I do these missions alot. In my opinion working fine as is, with the game in general being as it is. (not excusing it, more telling myself that this is what we get for now and the foreseable future (tm)).

I believe it's bugreported that they don't count towards mission goal if you follow them through the wake and kill them. (don't expect it fixed within the next 6-12months)

Hitting their FSD is, as far as I know, the best option. On most ships this is very easy and is what I do. As to how the NPC's are constructed/made/coded/bugged, shooting their drives will just catapult them away in the direction they are going, endlessly.

I think it's just the nature of the mission, them being civilians, and thus trying to escape relatively quick. If I take on a 30 target mission I expect to have to enter atleast 5 MSS'

MDH

P.S being civilians I hope you expected to be wanted. Since it's a mission target though you won't get Notoriety (wich in my head don't make sense, cause anyhow you twist it, you are killing civilians in lawfull space)

Last edited:
I usually see how many civilians are in the instance and fire and turn red the number I wish to fight. The ones that are red stay, the others flee. Of course all the reds will be fighting you at once..... so don't tag ten of them.... lol

Yes, certainly expected the Wanted status, and racking up lots of fines in that system as well. So I suppose that’s just part of the mission, get them before they can escape, keep targeting the targets FSD, and keep at it while evading system security and bounty hunters. Thanks for the advice all!

Top Bottom