General / Off-Topic Class Action against Oculus and Facebook

Now that the new owners of Oculus have monopolized anything to do with the social side of the Oculus system and basically ended about 50% of the reason people bought the produced in the first place. (being able to join and play with friend)
I believe and some legal advisers have stated because no alternative was put in place for thoughts who will not be forced to make a Facebook account and because when the produced was purchased no mention of this was conveyed to the purchaser. The product as a result is now less than the product that was originally purchased and a refund on not only the product but also any software that is also impacted by way of not being able to join, find or engage with friends.
This class action law suit if supported by enough purchasers of one of the Oculus systems will send a strong message to manufactures that monopolizing products after selling will be a costly exercise.

A simple fix to this would be to reinstate the original system and provide a Facebook alternative for those that choose it.
This message will be posted in as many forums as possible to garner support and further information about the class action will be updated later including how to join the class action.

I don't have Facebook, nor Tweeter. I do have a Youtube account, but that is about it. I've been using Bing as my default search engine, but I recently switched to Qwant, who is more respectfull of private life, and keeps no data from its users. (and its french! ) :)

I run ED on a Rift without having a FB account. But, yes, when the revolution comes, Zucker et al, will probably be some of the first being put up against the wall. That is, until people realize that it would also be the end of all those sweet cat videos etc. You can't survive without those now, can you?

I have no proper feeling about the Universe these days, but back in the day, any attempt to brick any hardware would typically lead to someone hacking the hardware and making some sort of alternative driver/software to bypass any lock. However, that was before we all got connected, meaning that it got a lot harder to do such things without somebody watching over your shoulder. Paranoia used to be something we used to bash each other with, but Orwell was right. Ofcurz.

Not logged into my FB in years and Oculus has never asked me to log in. Have used the Rift and now Rift S since 2017. But I also don't use the friends list. Really if it wasn't all over the internet then I'd have no idea Oculus is owned by FB.

Now that the new owners of Oculus have monopolized anything to do with the social side of the Oculus system and basically ended about 50% of the reason people bought the produced in the first place. (being able to join and play with friend)
I believe and some legal advisers have stated because no alternative was put in place for thoughts who will not be forced to make a Facebook account and because when the produced was purchased no mention of this was conveyed to the purchaser. The product as a result is now less than the product that was originally purchased and a refund on not only the product but also any software that is also impacted by way of not being able to join, find or engage with friends.
This class action law suit if supported by enough purchasers of one of the Oculus systems will send a strong message to manufactures that monopolizing products after selling will be a costly exercise.

A simple fix to this would be to reinstate the original system and provide a Facebook alternative for those that choose it.
This message will be posted in as many forums as possible to garner support and further information about the class action will be updated later including how to join the class action.
Explain monopolised social as being valid for litigation.

Wow....such h8 4 fb sheesh!! Lol. Yeah ditto I got a rift s and have a fb acct for years but never use it hardly. Intrusive? Course. U want non intrusive go Linux. Windows fb tescos Amazon asda/walmart all collate data and know your . Big bro bro. Now as long as your legit don't mind spam you can block, or targeted marketing which can have it's good side, then get OUT of Msdos. But having oculus tied in with Bart zuckerflob is a travesty. Shoulda gone to Amazon hehe.

I wont lie i was dissapointed when FB bought oculus because prioritising affordable VR for the masses and tying into their social platform was always gonna happen.

I must admit it has taken longer than i thought for this to occur. Best advice imo is to set up a dummy facebook account...... if you dont use facebook then a dummy account wont hurt you, no need to put in personal details.

If you DO use facebook then then all your data already belongs to them so it seems you are p***ing into the wind at this point.

over all I have actually been pleasantly surprised at how much Facebook have invested into high end PCVR software wise, and the software used to run the headset is head and shoulders above any others....... but sadly they as i feared have somewhat abandoned high end PCVR hardware in the chase for entry level vr for the masses. Am still excited for quest version 2 however and think that will be a very nice unit to buy for both mobile AND PCVR..........

all that said TLDR I suspect the Ts and Cs your signed when setting up an oculus account has them covered.

Wow....such h8 4 fb sheesh!! Lol. Yeah ditto I got a rift s and have a fb acct for years but never use it hardly. Intrusive? Course. U want non intrusive go Linux. Windows fb tescos Amazon asda/walmart all collate data and know your poopoo. Big bro bro. Now as long as your legit don't mind spam you can block, or targeted marketing which can have it's good side, then get OUT of Msdos. But having oculus tied in with Bart zuckerflob is a travesty. Shoulda gone to Amazon hehe.

This jumble of murdered words, grammer and punctuation is moving up my list of reasons why I support ......

Not to get into a flame or rant, what does punctuation or spelling have to do with it? Bit anal. One misses the point doesn't one. Jeez.

...how high up is spelling on that list, hmmm?
LOL And that is exactly why I never take a pop at other peoples writing style even if it is jarring.... because I know for a fact I will end up making an error of my own at the same time and looking like a berk :D

Top Bottom