Clipper Needs to be Clipped, just a bit

Clipper on med pad.jpg

The imperial Clipper has all the hallmarks of a medium class ship. Its just too wide. SInce we have 'retractable' engine pilons now on the Type 8 coming out soon, can we get something similar for the clipper ? I was thinking of the engine pilons sweeping backwards. As you can see there is plenty of room front and back, just not enough sideways.

Is there a need for large wings on spaceship at all? Cutter has better proportions in this area. For a medium sized landing pad it would be a kind of viable choice vs python (less cargo space but faster), but large landing pad for this ship is a mistake imho and I remember reading somewhere it was capable on lading on medium sized landing pad in the past. It even feels like design failure for imperial ship (expensive, better than other ships in the same category in all areas).
If I were to design it I would also make it luxury medium class ship (just like cutter for large class is atm.)

From a Naval Architect PoV:
  • As mentioned previously, you get more maneuverability by placing the main thrusters further away from Center of Mass
  • Wings would be the likely place for fuel tanks so that you have more volume in the main hull for cargo space
Really, if you want to argue reducing class, the ship to make that argument on is the double decker bus Type 7. It handles like a haulage vessel, whereas the aptly named Clipper handles like a small warship with cargo space.

From a Naval Architect PoV:
  • As mentioned previously, you get more maneuverability by placing the main thrusters further away from Center of Mass
  • Wings would be the likely place for fuel tanks so that you have more volume in the main hull for cargo space
Really, if you want to argue reducing class, the ship to make that argument on is the double decker bus Type 7. It handles like a haulage vessel, whereas the aptly named Clipper handles like a small warship with cargo space.

Well, while we are at it, we can talk about making the Type 7 fit on a medium pad....

1721140348448.jpeg

Only Saud Kruger and Gutamay have no medium sized ships available

I for one, will be exceedingly PO'ed if the 2 remainging ships promised don't address this obvious deficiency.

And where's the long ago promised Panther Clipper?

And there is a problem. If they do the Panther Clipper, then there won't be a medium for at least one of those two.

View attachment 397453

The imperial Clipper has all the hallmarks of a medium class ship. Its just too wide. SInce we have 'retractable' engine pilons now on the Type 8 coming out soon, can we get something similar for the clipper ? I was thinking of the engine pilons sweeping backwards. As you can see there is plenty of room front and back, just not enough sideways.

This suggestion could be for a Imperial Clipper Mk II (variant). Or if it's a new ship the Imperial Clipster.

Dont get me wrong, i love the clipper for the few roles it can fit very well, but as a large landing ship it only has 4 hardpoints, That is rediculous. its cargo space is only moderate so trading and mining roles are reduced and there are better ships for that. In a combat role its only saving grace is the speed and agility. But when i go hunting pirates i love finding a Clipper pirate, they are too easy to kill: big flat target that can't fight back and won't run away. So the only roles i found it good for is HGE and material farming. It has the fastest Supercruise rotation i have found yet, especially for a large class ship, making it great for HGE farming. Its high speed boost in realspace is crazy good (640) making it exceptional at getting away from pirates and such. And it can haul a decent 192 cargo if you use the first 2 slots for cargo. But it CAN"T land on a medium size landing pad. If the Dev create a clipper mk2, i'd recommend dealing with the wing pilons giving them some animation to allow the ship to land on a medium pad, and add in 2 more hardpoints, even small ones will do.

I once arrived at a medium station and had to wait on a ship docked there, when it came into view i laughed, it was as small as a hauler. I dont remember what it was, just that it was small and i was annoyed having to wait on a ship that should have been on a small pad

Back
Top Bottom