Cmdr Hyakugei - log 001 [io]

First day. After years of working on freighters, and a two year mentorship with Captain Jameson, I'm my own Commander. Sure, it is “just” a sidewinder, but the freedom it offers is, to me, priceless. Ok, I guess not actually priceless, considering the payments I have. Regardless, worth it.

Now what to do for my first run?

Looking around the market, it seems like the old adage “buy low, sell high” is going to be my guide. With only food in high supply, my choice is made for me. My sad economic state forces me to fly with 2 of my 4 cargo racks full. Taking a quick look at the available jobs on the 'board, hoping for something easy, nobody has anything for an unaligned rookie like me.

And so, from Hackworth Hub in LTT 15449 to to Ross 709 I go!

Upon arrival I get an update from my scanners about the local star, new data. This will save my bacon later in the day, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Finding the only station, Reisman Settlement, I enter super cruse. Taking a page from Capt. Jameson's book, I fly out from the sun, away from the plane of the system. This helped us avoid some of the worse interdictions, simply by staying off the main shipping lanes. Sure, takes a bit longer to get to where you are going, but your chances of arriving unmolested are just so much better. Or so I thought!

About 10 Ls out from the station I suddenly find myself wrestling with another ship, trying to avoid being pulled out of super cruise. I hate to admit that I was so surprised that I froze up for a few seconds, giving my opponent an advantage! Mostly through panicked moves and luck, I was able to avoid the interdiction.

Breathing easy once I made it to the no fire zone of the station, I requested docking permission. Entering quickly, I flew down to the docking pad. I was, however, more shook up by my close interdiction call then I thought. Not paying enough attention to my pad assignment, I racked up a 400 credit fine for blocking the pad! What a rookie mistake! And I only have 2 credits to my name!

Finally docking at the correct pad, I bring up the local market report. It is at this point that I begin to question my decision to become a pilot. My food cargo is not going to net me a profit here. In fact I'm libel to loose credits on the deal. Starting to panic at the thought of having a bounty on my head, I remember that I have some fresh system data. Maybe Universal Cartographics would be interested? Unbelievably they were, to the tune of over 600 credit! Saved! Tyche to the rescue!

Paying off my fine, refuelling the ship and deciding that that was enough excitement for my first expedition, I call it a day.

I can only imagine what tomorrow is going to bring.

[Note - there are some trade information spoilers here, regarding the systems I visit.]

LOG 002

After a few more runs between the now familiar LTT 15449 and Ross 709, I begin to get that itchy feeling. That feeling that it is time to see what might be beyond these comfortable shores. My ship being what it is, my choices on routes is limited, but this also makes my life easier. I don't have to agonize over which way to go!

Setting course for the Granthaimi system, I bid LTT 15449 good bye! For now, at any rate.

Docking and refuelling at Parmitano, I buy some cheap food cargo. Hoping that my next stop will turn these into a handy profit, I jump over to Mokosh system, and lock onto the Lubin Orb. An uneventful docking later, and my grin is ear to ear. The food is in high demand, and i'm able to sell my cargo, further cushioning my accounts. Dare I dream of a bigger ship? Perhaps a Hauler to start? Moving on from there to the highly desirable Cobra? Perhaps i'm getting far far ahead of myself. Eight thousand credits is not even close to a Hauler, let alone a Cobra.

Taking a risk, I fill my holds with Power Generators, and, still not wanting to retrace my steps, head off to LHS 3333 and Anderson Terminal. Where, again, Tyche is showing me her favour. The Generators are a big win, but I also notice that Food is in high demand, and carries quite a premium. Deciding that the profit potential is just too good (have to keep making those ship payments!), I see if there is anything I can take back to Mokosh. Hate to make a jump with an empty hold. Finding nothing in the market, I troll the 'boards, and find an easy transportation gig. Fifteen hundred credits to ship 3 canisters back to Mokosh? Done.

The trip to Mokoshi is quick, and I easily reach Bethe Station to complete the transportation job. Here I find Food cargo in good supply, and very affordable, so I fill up, cursing my limited cargo space. Maybe an cargo upgrade should be my first big expense? Last jump, back to LHS 3333 and Anderson Terminal for another high profit run, with no unexpected events.

Calling it a day, I head into the station to find what passes for food in this part of the galaxy.

Top Bottom