Newcomer / Intro Cobra MKIII Bounty Hunting

Alright All,

Just started my Elite journey last week, have been doing a load of delivery and courier missions to get me started and used to the controls etc. Purchased the Cobra MKIII and would like to give some bounty hunting a go.

Have 1.6 million in credits to upgrade some essentials for some bounty hunting. Do you think this is enough and if so what should i concentrate on upgrading to get me started?

From looking at guides and video's was thinking Gimbled multi cannons and lasers. Upgrading the power generator and sheilds and then storing all the cargo bays etc somewhere

Are you staying in the Pilots Federation Administration systems? - If so then you choice of weaponry and equipment is very restricted.

If outside the starter area then you can concentrate on using gimballed weaponry to aid your aiming for sure.

Power Distributor is the first thing to max out - you need that to be the best you can afford - then build-up the rest of your equipment as you can afford it.

Bear in mind that the Cobra MkIII is not a speciallised combat ship, it is a multi-role vessel. You might want to think about a cheaper ship like the Viper MkIII as your first fighter.

Alright All,

Just started my Elite journey last week, have been doing a load of delivery and courier missions to get me started and used to the controls etc. Purchased the Cobra MKIII and would like to give some bounty hunting a go.

Have 1.6 million in credits to upgrade some essentials for some bounty hunting. Do you think this is enough and if so what should i concentrate on upgrading to get me started?

From looking at guides and video's was thinking Gimbled multi cannons and lasers. Upgrading the power generator and sheilds and then storing all the cargo bays etc somewhere
A Viper is better for bounty hunting. Don't forget your Kill Warrant Scanner. It's much easier to stick with pulse lasers at this stage because it makes using the KWS easier. When you get a bit more money, get a Vulture with burst lasers and practice using the vertical and lateral thrusters to keep behind the big ships. This might help you learn the ropes. Parts 5 and 6 show how to use the Vulture. The series was a complete walkthrough from start for bounty hunters.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyoi5OzadBc

Last edited:
What I would suggest: take that Cobra and make a few more millions. If you want to Make Money Fast, through mining or exploration, otherwise of course any way you like. 4 MCr. would be enough for a fully A-rated Viper Mk.III and a few rebuys.

One other golden rule: Do not use beam lasers for bounty farming in a high, med or low RES or at a nav beacon or anywhere else that the police go. They will get you in trouble when you accidentally shoot the police - as you'll soon find out if you try them.

Are you staying in the Pilots Federation Administration systems? - If so then you choice of weaponry and equipment is very restricted.

If outside the starter area then you can concentrate on using gimballed weaponry to aid your aiming for sure.

Power Distributor is the first thing to max out - you need that to be the best you can afford - then build-up the rest of your equipment as you can afford it.

Bear in mind that the Cobra MkIII is not a speciallised combat ship, it is a multi-role vessel. You might want to think about a cheaper ship like the Viper MkIII as your first fighter.

Thanks mate. Have ventured out of the PFA Systems and into the vast universe :).

Considered buying a ship as read on other post's that that Cobra wasn't the best for combat but figured just as a starter ship it might be ok. Ideally want to give everything a try in this Cobra and then can make a decision what i might want to concentrate on moving forward.

How much does the Viper MkIII cost and what do you think i'd need to spend on it to make it decent enough for some of the early bounty hunting missions etc?

Appreciate any help or advice

If you're still in the starter area, there's a good high RES in Dromi where you can practice. There are loads of police there to help you. You can make between 1 and 2 million an hour there.

How much does the Viper MkIII cost and what do you think i'd need to spend on it to make it decent enough for some of the early bounty hunting missions etc?
Just over 1.8 mil:

You can use D class sensor and KWS if you don't have enough credits. here's a cheaper version that's still more than adequate:

Last edited:
Alright All,

There is little point storing standard modules as most of them are readily available and you always get back what you paid for a module when you sell it, the only time you lose money is when you leave the modules on your ship and sell that.

Go to any Resource Extraction Site (RES), scan the ships and identify which are wanted. Then shoot at the wanted targets the cops are shooting at. You'll pick up plenty of bounty payments even if you only land a few shots, even more if you use a Kill Warrant Scanner (KWS). At this early stage, don't do this in a Hazardous RES as there are no cops to help you out.

You can use any ship really. Gimballed weapons to help you focus on flying rather than accurate aiming. Upgrade Distributor, Power Plant and Thusters to A as soon as you can. Never fly without the rebuy cost (see right HUD panel somewhere for the amount, or Outfitting).

You can swap modules to other ships as you progress as long as the slot size is the same. Keep in mind the Viper III has smaller sized modules compared to some other small combat ships.

Go get em tiger!

Hi there CMDR Allanmce,

the Alliance Rapid-Reaction Corps, a group of mostly veteran players, are always happy to help new CMDRs get on their feet. You're welcome to drop by on our Discord for a chat, and maybe for a guided tour to bounty hunting if you like.

Fly safe CMDR!
o7

Top Bottom