Horizons Cobra MKIV

The Cobra Mk IV is wonderfully well equipped with compartments and utility slots. It is made for planetary landings. Squeezing a hanger with SRV on a Mk III is a bit of a waste of a fast little ship, really. The Mk IV also have a nice collection of hardpoints so that it doesn't have to run or joust as much as the Mk III.

Basically it is your 911 Turbo with tracks instead of wheels, sealed undercarriage and a thruster at the rear for amphibian action. Might raise a few eyebrows, but you can take it places where the Mk III really shouldn't be going.

:D S

Speaking from experience while using an 'A' Spec Vulture. A well piloted MKIII caused me serious headaches as it could dictate the extend and close fight and with patience on the opponents side was actually wearing me down quite effectively. Against a MKIV it couldn't get away, it had not a prayer in a turning fight and was just too easy with that nice big flat hull to get the pulses onto and pound to shreds, with shields down it was a slaughter.

As for kitting a MKIII mine has a bay and SRV, well armed, and boosts like someone lit its tail. For the price I still think it is the best ship in the game.

Last edited:
Don't worry OP you're not missing much with the Mk IV. The one thing I liked about it was the cargo capacity. I once thought of it as the planetary landing ship, but that slow top speed makes it tedious. In fact the slow top speed just gimps the ship in nearly every situation except trading, I guess. Turn rate is similar to the Mk3, so not only will you lose a turning fight, but you don't even have the MK3's jousting capability (due to low top speed).

I suppose since it was a limited availability ship they couldn't make it very good or the uproar would have been too much. You're better off either sticking with the Mk3 or saving up and going to the Asp E.

I am looking at making one of these, just to freak out anyone thinking it will be an easy target.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...f0p0p0p0002452b2b2b2929272h.Iw18SQ==.Aw18SQ==

2,000 plus armour and 25 DPS.

Sorry, all I am seeing is a 4/10 manoeuvrability rating, 206 top speed and 309 boost. That would still be dogmeat up against my Vulture, you have to be able to hit your mark if you are flying a battering ram and that sack of less than pleasant will struggle to hit space reliably.

Last edited:
Sorry, all I am seeing is a 4/10 manoeuvrability rating, 206 top speed and 309 boost. That would still be dogmeat up against my Vulture, you have to be able to hit your mark if you are flying a battering ram and that sack of less than pleasant will struggle to hit space reliably.
You think I am going to take a Cobra IV up against a Vulture, think again. The Vulture is just a pure killing machine.

I fail to understand the Cobra MKIV.:( You see, when I see a bigger number on any type of vehicle, I tend to think it is better. However, this is not the case with the Cobra MKIV. The MKIV is way slower, less agile, shorter jump range, and a bigger target. There is nothing the MKIV can do better then the MKIII, except carry more cargo.
Every version of the VW Golf, as just one example, that comes out is bigger and slower then the preceding one.

Note the underlined text above. The Mk IV is a decent surface hopper for planetary missions as it carries more cargo. I still have mine and while I wouldn't take it into a RES I find it does what I need it to do.

I love my Mark IV.

It does everything I've asked it to do - not well, admittedly, but it does it - so I keep it around for those days when I don't want to do anything in particular, just see what the game throws at me.

It was never said to be free.
People misread FD's statement that it would be available in game for those that pre-ordered, then spun their poor interpretation of "For FREEEEEE!" all over the forums.

I'm pretty new but I must be daft because I thought I had a Cobra MK iv but today I see that it is a Mk iii. I could of sworn I bought one a couple of weeks a go and I have been flying it since. Is it possible it was taken away? I purchased Horizons through Steam on March 6 2016, I already had the base game. Walks off mumbling.
Gerry

Cobra mark four might be good if the engineers let us upgrade the thrusters to a point where it's not a joke. And by that, I mean just a little less fast than the mark 3.

ok well i love the cobra series as it seems to be right up my alley. sadly though i had to finally give mine up as it was no longer up to the task of bounty hunting. i really dont know what kind of ship to get. im looking for a well rounded ship in combat. everything ive found is either tank and cant maneuver or is to small and cant take a hit. is it so hard to ask for something in the middle? im not asking for the best ship in the game but something that can easily take a hit as well as dish one of. the cobra mk 3 used to be perfect for that but ive found that lighter ships easily out fly it and the larger ship cut through the shields and armor to fast for me to return the damage. ive tried all kinds of combinations to it but the end result is the same. there just doesnt seem to be a good multipurpose ship out there. everything is either a paper flamethrower or a tank. i need something in the middle though.

ok well i love the cobra series as it seems to be right up my alley. sadly though i had to finally give mine up as it was no longer up to the task of bounty hunting. i really dont know what kind of ship to get. im looking for a well rounded ship in combat. everything ive found is either tank and cant maneuver or is to small and cant take a hit. is it so hard to ask for something in the middle? im not asking for the best ship in the game but something that can easily take a hit as well as dish one of. the cobra mk 3 used to be perfect for that but ive found that lighter ships easily out fly it and the larger ship cut through the shields and armor to fast for me to return the damage. ive tried all kinds of combinations to it but the end result is the same. there just doesnt seem to be a good multipurpose ship out there. everything is either a paper flamethrower or a tank. i need something in the middle though.

Should probably start a new thread, but what's wrong with the DB Scout, Viper, iCourier, Vulture, FAS and FDL? All are fast, maneuverable and tough for their price ranges.

Have you tried the Asp? Not quite as fast but good cargo space and extremely versatile!

The Asp E seems like the logical upgrade to the jack-of-all-trades Cobra 3, at least in my experience. It's the Cobra, just bigger and better and a tad slower.

Top Bottom