Collision detection for guests on scenery pieces

I would like to see collision detection for guests on scenery pieces like walls, doors, fences, trash cans, etc.

It's probably a really complicated thing to do, but now that everything is improved and done differently with the guests in the Cobra engine it should be mentioned here. I never liked it when the guests walked through everything. That is also one of the things why i always had my parks closed and only focused on building.

In the modular building video we see that guests walk through the wall.
NtPUb0k.png

http://imgur.com/NtPUb0k

As a side note, this is just for the guests to scenery pieces. Collision detection for scenery pieces against other scenery pieces is another story. Collision detection for tree's, bushes and other foliage could get in the way very quickly and is better to be turned off in those cases.

It's very early yet, but I bet things put on a path will be calculated as an obstacle.

Collision for other things like trees wouldn't really matter. Guests aren't supposed to walk up to them like that.

Collisions are very performance heavy. So using it with caution would be necessary. The devs already know this of course and I'm sure they are looking into it in due time.

Last edited:
I would like to see collision detection for guests on scenery pieces like walls, doors, fences, trash cans, etc.

It's probably a really complicated thing to do, but now that everything is improved and done differently with the guests in the Cobra engine it should be mentioned here. I never liked it when the guests walked through everything. That is also one of the things why i always had my parks closed and only focused on building.

In the modular building video we see that guests walk through the wall.
http://i.imgur.com/NtPUb0k.png
http://imgur.com/NtPUb0k

As a side note, this is just for the guests to scenery pieces. Collision detection for scenery pieces against other scenery pieces is another story. Collision detection for tree's, bushes and other foliage could get in the way very quickly and is better to be turned off in those cases.
As I saw in the video the people didn't work as good as they showed us in the Dev Dairy so maybe they did the first Dev Dairy in a other version and is this version more based on the construction of the themepark and they made the people more simple so it was better for the frames. Most games do the frames at the last moment.

a lot of things seemed weird in the vid,
the animation seemed weird, and the "peeps" didn't work right.
but this is a VERY early example, it's probably going to change later.

a lot of things seemed weird in the vid,
the animation seemed weird, and the "peeps" didn't work right.
but this is a VERY early example, it's probably going to change later.
I realized it too. Like coenscoensmeet said. It was a different version from that we have seen in first dev diary

Its super early and collision detection is one of the most cost resourcing things for AI pathfiniding when theres so many characters. For one is not going to be in every version they are working, in the guests dev video you could see how the guests worked right, but in this ones the AI is a little bit wonky, probably becuase its not the same coded version the team is working with.

BTW, Im pretty sure I saw in that video that guests were TRYING to not collide into the columns, even if some went near it. You can even see those two guys in the screen you posted actually turning right to not collide with it.

Last edited:
BTW, Im pretty sure I saw in that video that guests were TRYING to not collide into the columns, even if some went near it. You can even see those two guys in the screen you posted actually turning right to not collide with it.

Totally true :) u can see that playing video slowly on Youtube

Top Bottom