Horizons Combat Rank: Elite+ ?

Does anyone else feel like there's just too many Elites around these days? How about a new rank, which is granted after the same amount of xp, or more, that it takes to reach Elite?

How about being Elite requires the player to actually, you know, be Elite?

Grinds my gears we have to keep this part of the game from 30 years ago. "Kill things permanently increases rank without offset" is just not appropriate when all enemies fall like flies at your feet.

Perhaps we could then even go as far as making Elite NPCs play like Elites. Or would that be asking too much...

Does anyone else feel like there's just too many Elites around these days? How about a new rank, which is granted after the same amount of xp, or more, that it takes to reach Elite?

I've suggested something similar. A "Prestige" system whereby a player could willingly reset their ranks upon reaching "Elite". Under such a system, combining your idea and mine, a player reaching combat Elite could elect to reset their rank to "Harmless+" which would allow them to continue to progress and the "+" would act to warn other players that just because the rank says "Harmless" you might still want to watch your back. Reach Elite+ rank and you can reset to "Harmless++" with each additional "+" indicating how many times you've climbed the ranks.

Currently the only way to reset your progress is by clearing your game save ... which clearly isn't in every players interest (I've done it several times myself but I can understand why others would be hesitant).

How about being Elite requires the player to actually, you know, be Elite?

Grinds my gears we have to keep this part of the game from 30 years ago. "Kill things permanently increases rank without offset" is just not appropriate when all enemies fall like flies at your feet.

Perhaps we could then even go as far as making Elite NPCs play like Elites. Or would that be asking too much...

Yep. If I were in charge of the rank system I'd divide your number of kills by your number of deaths and base your rank off of THAT total.

I don't think a prestige system would fit the game. I would personally only be interested in just furthering the ranks. However, there is the no offset problem as mentioned. Perhaps to gain Elite +, one must earn that certain amount of xp, without losing a single battle. Therefore any ship destruction resulting from combat would reset the counter. Since the trade and exploration ranks are not visible to other players, but are merely achievements (well used to be required for missions). They can simply use the counter system to go Elite +.

Yep. If I were in charge of the rank system I'd divide your number of kills by your number of deaths and base your rank off of THAT total.

Meh, with all respect to you that would still be irrelevant in PvE. This is one problem among many in creating a system whereby death is basically optional.

Perhaps far more appropriate if NPCs were as capable as their rank suggested, and had fewer restrictions. It seems barmy to me that even Elite NPCs are restricted from weapon effects, using FA-Off (okay I can understand the implications and timesink of SJA having to code FA Off into their flying), even using module targeting for crying out loud. As it stands, a respectably modded ship can take on an Elite NPC and win with little effort.

Make Elite NPCs actually Elite, and now this stands for something. To progress rank, obtain kills only from ships ranked at your point and above. Killing a ship substantially above your rank - and this would actually then be an achievement - provides an equally substantial boost. In reciprocal, dying to a ship many ranks below you takes a reasonable chunk out of your rank but dying to a much higher rank ship has reduced penalties.

Meh, with all respect to you that would still be irrelevant in PvE. This is one problem among many in creating a system whereby death is basically optional.

It's all pretty moot from my perspective. I've barely engineered any of my ships (mostly just the FSD). Death is only optional for me because ... I choose not to die. I also choose not to play as a combat pilot so, there you have it. I've ranked two of my accounts to "Elite" in exploration with only one death between them. I have no idea how hard or easy it is to kill an Elite NPC because my ships don't have guns.

It's all pretty moot from my perspective. I've barely engineered any of my ships (mostly just the FSD). Death is only optional for me because ... I choose not to die. I also choose not to play as a combat pilot so, there you have it. I've ranked two of my accounts to "Elite" in exploration with only one death between them. I have no idea how hard or easy it is to kill an Elite NPC because my ships don't have guns.

Ah, forgive me. Your statement made you sound experienced in the issues around combat and its ranks ;)

Ah, forgive me. Your statement made you sound experienced in the issues around combat and its ranks ;)

Oh, don't get me wrong... I did manage to get one of my game saves up to "Dangerous" before resetting it. All of my combat experience is pre-2.0 though. My suggestion isn't just about combat ranks. Should effect Trade and Exploration equally. Just a general feeling that in-game death should carry a consequence.

TBH, ranks don't concern me anymore. When you start the game, it's an incentive, but w/ few rewards (except for fed/imp ships and permits). It's a tag, and the longer the game is around, the number of players to gain Elite rank will increase, natural progression.

In some players' estimation, as Elite status becomes more "common", its "prestige" diminishes. So is there a need for another tag that will become commonplace as well? When do you stop? Can you say rank grind?

I believe there are more pressing issues FD could work on other than this.

Last edited:
The diminishing of "prestige" is the precise reason for creating upper Elite ranks. It may be a grind if one chooses to grind it, but it is surely the most optional of them all. Yes there are a thousand more important things to work on. But it's a simple change, and with such good profits, and two new games in development I think they can squeeze it in.

The diminishing of "prestige" is the precise reason for creating upper Elite ranks. It may be a grind if one chooses to grind it, but it is surely the most optional of them all. Yes there are a thousand more important things to work on. But it's a simple change, and with such good profits, and two new games in development I think they can squeeze it in.

It's an additional layer of meaninglessness on top of meaninglessness. You get a new rank, you're at the same problem as before. Poor reason to erode the "Elite" heritage as the ultimate rank.

I believe there are more pressing issues FD could work on other than this.

you always have it right. I agree completely. Nothing but tags without rewards, like King and Admiral. No station ever says yes sir, no sir, yes your majesty, no your majesty.

You can't be serious? Grinding for Elite Combat is so ridiculously long I'll be in my 80's (I'm 48) before I reach it!!!! This game doesn't need any more grinding!!!!! A new rank I can certainly go for and I agree with you there, but DEAR HEAVENS NO MORE GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm currently Deadly in combat @ 51% and it has taken me over 1 week to go from 43% to 51% grinding 3 hours a day at CZ's and HasRes!

You can't be serious? Grinding for Elite Combat is so ridiculously long

here is some info that will make you fill better.

I made notes towards the end of my rank progression.

This is what it took to make 1 percent movement toward Elite.

(one session in hazard using non engineered FDL)
2 ANACONDA ELITE
4 ASP DEADLY
8 CLIPPERS ELITE
4 COBRA III ELITE
1 DROP SHIP DEADLY
2 EAGLES DEADLY
1 FDL ELITE
4 FED GUNSHIPS ELITE
1 PYTHON ELITE
5 VIPER III ELITE
--------------------
32 = 1 percent movement