Engineers Coming back to ED after 2 years. Is there a comprehensive guide to upgrading from legacy modules?

As in the title. Haven't been playing since 2017, I currently own 8 ships all of which have many heavily modified modules. I was happily playing for a couple of days in complete ignorance, trying to remember how to pilot ships, until I decided to pay a visit an engineer and was offered an option to upgrade all my modules from legacy to a new system. Unfortunately the informatrion on what exactly it does is not provided. And as far as I remember I had some pretty good rolls on some of the systems, so I'm even more reluctant in doing that. Is there any more or less comprehensive guide or an article that provides such an information?

Last edited:
Here's your comprehensive guide:
A legacy module converts (don't call it an "upgrade" because it usually isn't) to one tier below whatever it was before. So a G5 module becomes a G4 module, a G2 becomes a G1, etc. I'm not sure what happens if you convert a legacy G1, or if that's even possible, but my guess is it converts to a G1 as well.

Stats for new engineered modules are not randomized, they are static bundles of bonuses which increase a tiny bit every time you dump more materials into them. The negative stats are always they same at each tier, while the positive stats increase a tiny bit every time you press the engineering button and spend your materials. When your stats are maxed out for a given tier, you unlock the option of upgrading to the next tier and so on.

That's all there is to it. Legacy modules may have better stats than anything possible with the new system, though this is rare and mostly applies to Plasma Accelerators and possibly certain shield types. For the most part the upper limits of what are achievable with the new system is going to be higher than the average legacy module. If you have a legacy module you consider to be "god tier" then probably hold onto it or at least do some research on how it compares to the best possible New Engineering Module, but for everything else it kinda doesn't matter.

Top Bottom