Community Initiative Community Initiative: "One Last Gasp"

Hey everyone,

So, I've had my writing hat on for the last few months, which has got some of those juices flowing a lot. As such, I've decided to write (or at least, get interest in the writing of) a community initiative. Expect this to run til early January, with some gaps in between, because Christmas, New Year etc.

This is will play out over four phases. Just as a preview, the activities I have planned to support the story are:
  • A BGS War
  • Bounty Hunting
  • Exploration
  • (NPC or PvP) Piracy
  • Trading
  • Salvage(ish)
There are a whole bunch of caveats which I'll throw in spoiler tags so as to not take away from everything else here.
  • I'm not FD, so there's no rewards for doing this, other than watching the story play out and whatever enjoyment you get along the way, and whatever credits you get along the way. I'll guarantee all the activities will turn a profit, but if you're only in it for "Teh Phat Lewts", best walk away now.
  • ... I'm not FD... so some of the narrative may contradict the state of the universe. Use your imagination (or at least, that's what I always get told...). That said, I'll try to get BGS states to synch... in one glaring example I'll obviously need to do that, but that particular one should be easy.
  • English only, sorry. Anyone wants to translate, feel free... or just take your chances and chuck it at google translate.
  • I'll be naming factions, representatives and locations, which may have unwanted BGS effects for some players in those areas. I'm deliberately picking non-PMFs so if you're a silent representative of the factions I've picked... oh well? Enjoy the temporary fame I guess?
  • I don't have any "BGS trackers" or anything, nor am I really up for creating one, because <reasons>. Participation in this will be entirely by honesty-system, posting notes, screenshots, journals, cumulative totals, whatever you feel like to represent your contributions. End of the day, there's no actual effect in the universe, only on my storytelling. PS. If you want to create one, fill your boots.
  • There's four phases, and two possibilities for "alternative" outcomes. I'll let you work out how that pans out ;)
  • I'll do my best to draw up some guides for each phase, since some of the mechanics might be things people simply aren't used to, but are entirely achievable.
  • I may or may not participate. Not because I hate my own activities, but because I'll probably spend too much time tracking this

So without further ado...

Community Initiative: One Last Gasp.

Prelude: Blue Natural Holdings announce agricultural bio-engineering program
Senior Agricultural Advisor to Blue Natural Holdings, Dr. Selina Koranek, has today announced a bold plan set to revolutionise the agricultural industry in the wake of The Scourge. The plan seeks to secure data and resources to undertake cutting-edge studies into the protection of crops from biological threats, and preempt the source of these threats. While the scars of The Scourge are still fresh for some, Dr. Koranek sought to allay these concerns, adding they would be subjecting all activities to full oversight from the Interstellar Agricultural Agency.

Speaking from the corporation's headquarters in Alpha Caeli, Dr. Koranek presented details of the research effort:
"While humanity may have spread itself across the galaxy and transformed greatly since it's origins in Earth, our fundamental reliance on agriculture remains a constant. And The Scourge proved that, on an interstellar-scale, our agricultural bio-security leave much to be desired if a small, issue-motivated group can bring the human bubble to the brink of disaster. Conversely, so little is known of the universe... brave explorers reach out to the edges of the galaxy discovering new life, surviving in the harshest of conditions, and let's not even contemplate the threat posed by Thargoids for the moment!

But these lifeforms have adapted and overcome, and this program will seek to unlock the secrets of these life-forms. Regardless of whether this research ultimately finds ways to enhance our bio-security measures, or allows us to forecast as-yet unknown pathogen threats, these truths will serve to benefit all humanity."

Dr. Koranek advised that details of the program were still being finalised, but would be soon offering an open contract to Pilot's Federation Commanders for assistance in the near future.

Phase 1 - Stellar Samples

Blue Natural Holdings has today announced it's research facilities on board Heyerdahl Hub, Alpha Caeli, are now operational, with staff undertaking preliminary efforts to begin it's latest bio-security research program. Coinciding with the facilities coming online, Dr. Selina Koranek formalised an open contract to the Pilot's Federation seeking assistance to baseline research materials and data to support the program. Dr. Koranek released the following statement regarding the contract.

"It is with great excitement that Blue Natural Holdings opens it's new bio research facility aboard Heyerdahl Hub to support it's agricultural efforts. It's highly anticipated that this program will deliver cutting-edge food security technologies and prevent events such as The Scourge from occurring so easily and carelessly in the future. But such a monumental goal requires monumental efforts, and so we appeal to the galactic community and the Commanders of the Pilot's Federation to assist us in this cause.

A cornerstone of our research program requires ready access to samples of unassessed alien biological matter. Given our focus on preventing the spread of unknown pathogens and contaminants, samples from the seed pods of various space-born life will provide insights into their hardy physiologies and propagation methods, allowing us to develop countermeasures to the spread of plant diseases with similar properties. Likewise, samples from the various mollusc lifeforms discovered around the galaxy will allow the research and discovery of potentially unknown biological markers which can be safely employed in crops to help protect them against blights and other diseases.

Finally, while these materials will baseline our research program, cartographic information about the regions and conditions these life-forms thrive in will allow Blue Natural Holdings to secure a regular supply of samples to sustain it's research efforts. Any and all cartographic information handed in at Heyerdahl Hub will secure the long-term viability of this program.

While the program does not have a sufficient budget to offer Commanders the standard bonus for this type of activity, their goodwill shall be remembered through the outcomes of this program."

Commanders wishing to contribute have been requested to deliver cartographic information, and any forms of mollusc or seed pod biopsies to Heyerdahl Hub. Blue Natural Holdings is seeking approximately 10,000 samples and appropriate volumes of exploration data before so it can stay on-schedule for initial research to commence 9th December 3305.

---

Commander's Guide - Don't read if you want to just figure things out yourself...
Exploration is a fairly straightforward activity; go to an uninhabited system, honk your disco scanner, open up the FSS and get scanning. Optionally, fit a Detailed Surface Scanner, fly to the stellar bodies you find in the system and fire probes at them to "explore" the planet surface, earning you more cash from the scan and revealing extra details about the planet.

Taking biopsies from alien life requires you to, firstly, have at least one Research Limpet Controller (Can't locate them? Try here) and some limpets, and secondly, to go actually find some alien life. Although this can be located all over the galaxy, you can find the first place these lifeforms were discovered for a region in the codex, e.g

Remember; this is the first system in the (Inner Orion Spur) region where this life form was located. If you explore more systems in the vicinity of this, you are likely to find more.

Also note, many life forms cannot be sampled using the Research Limpet Controller. For example, all varieties of gourd molluscs can have research limpets fired at them, but they will always fail to attach.

The collared pods, noted above, are the closest known location of organic life able to have samples taken from them, though there are plenty more, such as Umbrella/Reel molluscs, the seed pods of various larger life such as Void hearts etc.. Part of the fun is checking these out yourself, and the other is finding them in other locations yourself!

Lastly, you can fire multiple research limpets at a single target, so don't limit yourself to just one Research Limpet Controller if you don't want to. You will need one limpet for each sample though... they get consumed per use!

Phase 1 - Conclusion
A lower than expected supply of cartographic data and research samples has cast early doubts over the scope and potential outcomes of Blue Natural Holdings' proposed bio-security research program. Initial stats released by the organisation reveal while they did receive some samples, the volumes were a small fraction of their 10,000-sample target.

Dr. Koranek publicly addressed shareholders in an attempt to temper the concerns.
"While our 10,000 sample target was definitely ambitious and defined a 'best case outcome' for us, the small supply of samples we received in our drive will hamper some research programs we had scheduled. Specifically, some of our broad-spectrum tests which require large volumes of samples have been reprioritsed. Additionally, our more advanced testing regimens which, although needing smaller volumes of samples, need comparative samples which are very similar to each other, have been delayed in favour of some more basic tests which are considered 'low hanging fruit'. We thank all Commanders who helped with this effort".

Phase 2 - TBC

Phase 3 - TBC

Phase 4 - TBC

EDIT: Oh btw, I don't do any creative writing in my day job at all. Don't expect the prose of Shakespeare here.

Last edited:
I would be interested in this for sure.

I have always been a fan of your ideas for community goals previously, and although this isn’t an official CG or II it still sounds like it could be fun. Count me in cmdr.

I would be interested in this for sure.

I have always been a fan of your ideas for community goals previously, and although this isn’t an official CG or II it still sounds like it could be fun. Count me in cmdr.
Thanks mate. Even if it doesn't get interest, i might actually write something for a low outcome. Wont be happy though!

Phase one is down! Phase two will crop up in the near future.

Phase 1 - Conclusion
A lower than expected supply of cartographic data and research samples has cast early doubts over the scope and potential outcomes of Blue Natural Holdings' proposed bio-security research program. Initial stats released by the organisation reveal while they did receive some samples, the volumes were a small fraction of their 10,000-sample target.

Dr. Koranek publicly addressed shareholders in an attempt to temper the concerns.
"While our 10,000 sample target was definitely ambitious and defined a 'best case outcome' for us, the small supply of samples we received in our drive will hamper some research programs we had scheduled. Specifically, some of our broad-spectrum tests which require large volumes of samples have been reprioritsed. Additionally, our more advanced testing regimens which, although needing smaller volumes of samples, need comparative samples which are very similar to each other, have been delayed in favour of some more basic tests which are considered 'low hanging fruit'. We thank all Commanders who helped with this effort".

OK, so once my country stopped burning, COVID started, well, COVID-ing... and so obtaining focus on this succumbed to spending my spare time relaxing and keeping sane.

So, I'm gonna wrap this one up as a lost cause, as I'm simply not able to reliably plan availability for a game week to week right now... and single-digit interest isn't a big motivator either.

What I will do is describe how the next phases would come about, and also throw in what FD-style "Interjections" would assist the process. The whole point of this was really to show how "Opposing force" activities in CGs are very easily to accomodate for, without resulting in wild deviations from an intended plotline... something often used to justify dumb things like one-sided war CGs and the like. This CI was also a rudimentary attempt to create moral conflict in the storyline and make "bad guys" actually seem like a reasonable option for support.

Phase 2
Ostensibly, something was going to go wrong with Dr. Koranek's research, an as-yet undiscovered pathogen in some of the alien samples mutating into a virulent respiratory infection (Thus, "One Last Gasp"... huh... actually pretty coincidental given COVID, but I digress).

Phase 2 of this CI would have been to ship all forms of medicines (Basic, Advanced, Progenitor Cells etc.) for the CG. Fairly standard trade CG. Meanwhile, a parallel "opposition" CG would exist to pirate the medicines for an anarchy faction, under the narrative that the infection had spread to outlaw groups, many of whom were barred from seeking treatment due to their outlaw nature. Obviously here, one CG would be to source medicines, the other CG to source stolen medicines, rationale with the Anarchy faction not being able to be traded medicines lawfully being that all medicine shipments are being seized by the state for distribution, thus, cutting off outlaw supply.

FD interjections would be to create a static outbreak state for all factions in the relevant system.

These two CGs wouldn't be competitive; they would each measure the success of efforts to combat the plague, and it's overall impact on the two groups.

Phase 3
Dr. Koranek continues to support research efforts for a cure, while <some fleet admiral> starts seeking to track down the people who stole medicines. Meanwhile, a public request comes out from the 2IC of the pirate entity to obtain Trinkets of Hidden Fortune, a frequent rare good transported by smugglers. The 2IC himself doesn't really know why, only that his boss has ordered it.

This is a fairly straightforward Bounty CG for the fleet admiral character, while the anarchy CG is a dedicated piracy CG. The "Steal Medicine" CG before can have medicines fairly easily stolen directly from missions, or pirated, so there were multiple avenues there. This one is strictly piracy, though the request for Trinkets of Hidden Fortune is meant to be a bit odd.

In reality, someone close to the Anarchy's leader is also sick (Son, Daughter, Wife, Husband, Father, Mother etc.), and their efforts with the stolen medicines are no good, since the outlaws have less access to research labs and ability to focus their efforts to find a cure. The Anarchy leader's request for Trinkets of Hidden Fortune is, behind the scenes, meant to parallel the story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes.... given their mysterious nature, the anarchy leader believes that obtaining enough of these will somehow yield a cure. This gets explained in the 4th phase...

No FD interjections are really needed, bounty hunting and getting Trinkets are both fairly straightforward tasks (trinkets less so, obviously), though a black market may need to be established for delivery where needed.

There's also no real narrative plot change on outcomes here... it's just a shifting narrative of how successful their respective efforts are.

Phase 4
Regardless of Phase 3's outcomes, the Anarchy leader's loved one dies, and a combination of grief over the lack of access to treatment and their members being hunted during the attempt to get the Trinkets lead that leader to launch an all-out assault on Dr Koranek's headquarters, seeing them as the cause of all these issues.

This is also a fairly straightforward CZ CG, though the stakes here are for the Anarchy faction to take control of the headquarters facility.

At the end of this, there'a an accumulation of all the outcomes. If the Anarchy faction wins, but the CGs to try and deliver goods were never met for either side, the Anarchy leader and any other plot characters succumb to the virus, the system population is decimated, and all factions enter lockdown for a week while they try to contain the spread, which eventually sees off the plague. If FD really wanted to, they could carve out some of the population, and even remove stations if they saw fit[1].

If Dr Koranek's faction win, but the CGs are unsuccessful, it's kinda the same as above.

If the Anarchy faction got enough medicines, and Dr Koranek's team didn't, and the Anarchy wins the war... with access to lab facilities, the Anarchy faction is able to synthesise a cure, and either expel or execute Dr. Koranek and her associates... depends how dark you want to get.... and the anarchy faction are lauded as heroes for bringing about an end to the virus.

If the Anarchy faction got enough medicines, and Dr Koranek's team didn't, and Dr. Koranek's faction wins the war, additional medical supplies are seized off the Anarchy faction, and are sufficient to synthesize a cure, hooray team good guy wins, high fives all round.

If Dr Koranek's team got enough medicines, and the Anarchy wins the war... the Anarchy faction captures Dr. Koranek and her associates and forces them to syntehsize a cure, and held captive to continue working for them and filling the gap where their research efforts failed .... and the anarchy faction are lauded as heroes for bringing about an end to the virus.

If Dr Koranek's team get the meds, and win the war, then happy days, the bad guys are routed, a cure synthesized, Dr Koranek and her team are heroes, and go on to do cool xenoscience using the information obtained from battling the virus.

All sorts of reward conditions and stuff could be thought of for these various end states... but really... the main outcome of this is some BGS effects and a flipped system potentially.... not much changes even with a "bad guy" route added in.

Just to re-emphasise: I'm not bouncing this plotline off the current COVID situation or making light of it; this was my genuine plotline from back in November... six months later it's obviously never come to fruition because 2020 can jump off a cliff. I just wanted to put it out there.

Anyways... that's that.

[1] Personally, I'd love to see population be dynamic, and for stations to enter disrepair (like the post-thargoid-attack repair state) if there was insufficient population for the number of facilities. But I digress.

Top Bottom