Could anyone revive "Limit Theory"?

Yep, you can't just take someone else's stuff, that's his property, if he chooses to not continue with it that doesn't make it free for people to use.

Er... he released it open source. Even a working version albeit limited severely of course.

You understand that Open Source doesn't just mean open slather right? What are the terms in the Open Source licencing agreement? Many Open Source licensing agreements specifically note that the modified code can't be sold for profit or used in a for profit project, Open Source is a term a lot of people throw around without understanding what it means.

License - https://github.com/JoshParnell/ltheory/blob/master/LICENSE - is public domain in jurisdictions with the concept, MIT-like "do what you want" elsewhere.

So it could be revived by an open source project, or indeed a commercial company could take what's there, develop it into a game, and then sell that for a profit.

In practical terms, near-decade-old code which the author admits is a very long way from being a playable game probably isn't a massive amount of use for either; if anyone community or commercial wants to make a game of that sort, they're probably just as well starting from scratch in a technical sense ... in the community non-profit side it might be easier to get a critical mass of developers around an existing codebase but you'd still have to prepare to eventually refactor almost all of the original out.

No problem taking $200,000'odd thousand dollars, but got a headache when it came to making the game.
Give me a break..
Unlike some who abused Kickstarter, Josh took the money, hired a team and worked on the game for YEARS after the kickstarter. It took its toll mentally and physically and financially on him until eventually he had to admit defeat. The whole time he communicated with his backers, released regular updates and videos on his progress and most people who were part of the Limit Theory community felt he sincerely tried to deliver and few if any felt robbed.

No problem taking $200,000'odd thousand dollars, but got a headache when it came to making the game.
Give me a break..
From the sounds of it you didn't follow the game at the time and nor do you have much of an understanding nor sympathy for stress or mental health issues.

Josh refused funding after a point, despite people offering more if it would help.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: M66
I obviously followed the game much more than some on here. He hired one guy very close to the end after Josh went missing for months and was threatened with legal action if he didn't produce the game or refunds. How do I know that, well I followed the game very closely.
The guy he hired worked more or less for free in his spare time. Josh was and still is liable to legal action, should he be found of course. He also rented a very cheap rental space to try and make it look like he was attempting to produce the game.
Although I don't think he ever had the ability to do so, taking money needs no qualifications..

I obviously followed the game much more than some on here. He hired one guy very close to the end after Josh went missing for months and was threatened with legal action if he didn't produce the game or refunds. How do I know that, well I followed the game very closely.
The guy he hired worked more or less for free in his spare time. Josh was and still is liable to legal action, should he be found of course. He also rented a very cheap rental space to try and make it look like he was attempting to produce the game.
Although I don't think he ever had the ability to do so, taking money needs no qualifications..
You're the reason I said 'most people' and not 'everyone'.

Games are always best with the inspiration of its creator(s). You don't simply take the failed attempt of someone else and make something of that. And what's with the solo projects? Not that it's impossible to make a game solo, but who actually believes that one guy could code game and craft all the assets in a high-fidelity game?

Yep, you can't just take someone else's stuff, that's his property, if he chooses to not continue with it that doesn't make it free for people to use.

Sure you can, even where the creator ostensibly reserves all applicable rights for themselves. You just need to do it in a jurisdiction that doesn't respect intellectual property law, or change it enough that plagiarism charges are prohibitively costly to demonstrate in the courts of jurisdictions that do. Happens all the time.

Games are always best with the inspiration of its creator(s). You don't simply take the failed attempt of someone else and make something of that.

I play homebrew RPGs that are direct derivations of games created by idiots that I then modified into something usable. Ripping stuff off, wherever possible, saves a huge amount of time and effort. I am as sure that some of these people would hate the changes I've made to their material as I am indifferent to any objections they'd have. No one has exclusive ownership of any idea once it's communicated to another party.

Of course, I don't publish, let alone try to monetize, anything.

As C++ programmer ... I checked couple random files from his repo "old". Looks like made by student or so. Highly inspired by older C paradigms. And eventually he made "new" using C ...which is step-back for my taste.
What I can say he made formally C++ code inspired by C lessons ignoring things which make C++ as C++ and not C. And eventually it will be guaranteed mess. Nope. Not really interested in code.

Sure you can, even where the creator ostensibly reserves all applicable rights for themselves. You just need to do it in a jurisdiction that doesn't respect intellectual property law, or change it enough that plagiarism charges are prohibitively costly to demonstrate in the courts of jurisdictions that do. Happens all the time.

I play homebrew RPGs that are direct derivations of games created by idiots that I then modified into something usable. Ripping stuff off, wherever possible, saves a huge amount of time and effort. I am as sure that some of these people would hate the changes I've made to their material as I am indifferent to any objections they'd have. No one has exclusive ownership of any idea once it's communicated to another party.

Of course, I don't publish, let alone try to monetize, anything.
I was more thinking about the technical aspects and artistic vision of a video game. That is more rigid than a tabletop rpg where you can add house rules and lore on the fly.

Top Bottom