Could we build space stations

I think being able to have a player created space port would be an interesting idea and you guys could create factions based on this through your squad and you could station and you could have other players attack it for pvp aspect

Welcome to the forums!

First, pitching anything in the Explorers forum from a PvP aspect is generally a non-starter.

On to your main thought, though, there have been proposals for facilities, either ground or orbital, for several years. They have been pitched both as BGS and non-BGS interactive. What we got was Fleet Carriers.

Last edited:
We also got CGs to build (or have built) stations.
Indeed, but proposals were put forth to make procedurally built facilities using standard resources. The mechanics from those proposals for care and feeding were implemented in FCs, but the proposals themselves were not implemented.

Just an example of the NPCs doing things even to the point of random encounters, but players cannot unless Frontier explicitly grants it.

Any player-built stations would have to be functionally identical to non-player-built stations. And since attacking stations is definitely out, for numerous reasons, attacking a player-built station would also be out.

As others have stated, we effectively already have "player built stations" in the form of Fleet Carriers. A "player built station" would actually have even less functionality, since it presumably would not be able to be moved once it was put in place.

And finally, yes, you've pitched this to the wrong audience. Here in the Exploration subforum, you've found the players who are the least interested in factions, squads and PvP. Explorers have long desired for the ability to "build a base" for themselves out in the black, and this desire has largely been slaked by Fleet Carriers.

My own two credits...

I've personally preferred the suggestions of temporary structures, rather than permanent constructions. Permanent constructions have their own usage (especially for squadron activities, if they ever come), but for just exploring...

Being able to use the SRV (or a variant) to build a temporary outpost seems filled with gameplay (and roleplay) opportunities. Such an outpost could be used to deploy planet-specific equipment, such as enhanced radar for locating material deposits more quickly (or deposits otherwise unseen by ship sensors), or salvage sites, or even be tuned to detect frequencies emanating from nearby systems - providing a tipoff starting point for finding important sites such as guardian ruins.

Beyond the 'scanning' aspect, temporary outposts could also enable more substantial repairs for the ship (if mechanics existed where an AFMU and repair limpet weren't enough, or balanced to be less powerful).

Finally, such outposts could provide a means to telegraph exploration data back to Universal Cartographics after a period of time - or investment in locally sources resources to boost the signal - giving deep space explorers a means to turn in data without requiring lugging around a Carrier (or hoofing it back to the nearest deep station which is rarely 'near').

These outposts would be semi-permanent in that they require an upkeep to exist. Upon abandonment, the site would only last for a few days (or a weekly server tick) then cease to be without additional input.

Imagine a crossbreed between Elite Dangerous and X3 series... Imagine you could build stations, huge production complexes, create trading networks, capture ships, claim abandoned stuff, build massive emporiums, armies of patrolling ships and other cools stuff, like in X3...

hqdefault.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love ED, but I also miss X3...

Imagine a crossbreed between Elite Dangerous and X3 series... Imagine you could build stations, huge production complexes, create trading networks, capture ships, claim abandoned stuff, build massive emporiums, armies of patrolling ships and other cools stuff, like in X3...

hqdefault.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love ED, but I also miss X3...
And the flyby cam in external view while in patrol mode :)

Top Bottom