Could we possibly have Horizons remain 'as is' rather than get 'upgraded' with new tech?

The answer is pretty much no.

They won't run two universes for long, and stuff on planets is part of that, and the new graphics are required for the new planets.

It can only be temporary.

So like many - I am sadly not a fan of the new visual style in EDO - preferring the brighter (and less performance intensive) style of Horizons

Things are just much harder to see in Odyssey and in Horizons, to my eyes at least, look fine.

I understand FDevs position on updating graphics to meet the expectations of the times, and so hold no ill feeling regarding their new direction - and I know that many CMDRs really do like the new visuals. But I also think it would be nice to give CMDRs that prefer Horizons the option to continue playing the game they have paid for and enjoyed for many years without problems

What do you guys think? is this a thing that should be considered or am i just out of touch?
Yeah, I love flying in Horizons.... very nice looking, very stable, and the lighting is simply better. Let's hope they can retrofit Odyssey and extensively playtest it before the console merger. The good news is that they have an avoidable situation. The forums have been wigging out as it is... I can't imagine what the scene would be if they total the Horizons experience.

Horizons was so good before Odyssey came and screwed so much up. And I always wanted space legs, but not the bugs! And why mess up the UI so bad fdev? It just needed a little polishing. I hope this Thursdays patch seriously addresses the UI issues. And please, go back to full procedural generation. That was their claim to fame!

Horizons was so good before Odyssey came and screwed so much up. And I always wanted space legs, but not the bugs! And why mess up the UI so bad fdev? It just needed a little polishing. I hope this Thursdays patch seriously addresses the UI issues. And please, go back to full procedural generation. That was their claim to fame!

It's been mentioned elsewhere, by others and myself, that it seems it could have been a lot easier to roll this out. They already had the SRV, which could have served as the model for "space legs". Everything else could have been rolled out in phases after that. I'll give credit to Frontier for their ambition, but seems like we've got some digital indigestion unfolding.

I also notice there is something wrong with Planet textures in Odyssey.

In Both Screenshot ships are turning:
Horizon:
a_h_planets.jpg

vs Odyssey:

a_o_planets.jpg

The planet in Odyssey looks very blurry doesn't it?
Phew, glad its not just me. I mostly play on an older MSI laptop and I thought, gee that planet looks terrible (blury)... it must just be the laptop. Then I played on my newer gaming desktop and behold it was the same. The frame rates are slightly better on the desktop but still pathetic compared to Horizons.

Phew, glad its not just me. I mostly play on an older MSI laptop and I thought, gee that planet looks terrible (blury)... it must just be the laptop. Then I played on my newer gaming desktop and behold it was the same. The frame rates are slightly better on the desktop but still pathetic compared to Horizons.
Yeah, it seems even on high end cards it sometimes takes ages to load in the right level of detail leaving you with something you should be seeing from a distance

Well looking around at all the various numbers being thrown out, I don't believe there's any reliable number.
FD has the real number of actual players across all platforms (based on server connections), and they're not going to say.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they recently said in one of their "we're being more open" videos. Can't remember the number but didn't seem like there'd been a drastic drop or anything if I remember correctly.

The answer is pretty much no.

They won't run two universes for long, and stuff on planets is part of that, and the new graphics are required for the new planets.

It can only be temporary.

Which is why I think they should release a single player legacy version of EDH. It would be exceedingly easy for them to use as a very positive PR maneuver. Release it for free to all who own EDH, and as a separate paid product for future customers. "Legacy" of course implying no future development or fixes, as-is. Doing so would win back so many hearts while not impacting on where ever they are taking EDO. I don't care if it's 1tb. It'd be faaaaaar cheaper to buy the necessary HDs to run EDH legacy than it would be to upgrade for reasonable performance on EDO.

It would be a serious shame for the EDH galaxy, and all the work that went into it, to just vanish overnight. It really ought to be preserved, EDO gripes/resistance aside.

Which is why I think they should release a single player legacy version of EDH. It would be exceedingly easy for them to use as a very positive PR maneuver. Release it for free to all who own EDH, and as a separate paid product for future customers. "Legacy" of course implying no future development or fixes, as-is. Doing so would win back so many hearts while not impacting on where ever they are taking EDO. I don't care if it's 1tb. It'd be faaaaaar cheaper to buy the necessary HDs to run EDH legacy than it would be to upgrade for reasonable performance on EDO.

It would be a serious shame for the EDH galaxy, and all the work that went into it, to just vanish overnight. It really ought to be preserved, EDO gripes/resistance aside.

It'd be cool, but I think it would actually take a fair bit of effort to create, due to all the linkages to the databases and things.

It'd be cool, but I think it would actually take a fair bit of effort to create, due to all the linkages to the databases and things.

Certainly would involve some effort, but repairing the trust in their playerbase is going to take a lot of effort no matter what. At least this would reliably work, and the effort involved would be rather routine and not creative which leaves far less room for error.

I am honestly surprised that there has been no FD talk of a legacy EDH seeing that Braben clearly cares about the Elite legacy, still offering the older games. Amazing to me he'd be fine with the roots of ED going poof overnight.

Top Bottom