Couldn't Guardian modules do a bit more for the power

Right now, even against completely unmodified HRP's, I still can't justify using guardian HRP while it draws power. In optimization of the performance of my builds, that power can mean the difference of certain weapon combinations that can perform much better, or even an extra shield booster. But there are certain stats that go unnoticed and it think should be better looked at. Instead of giving 3-5% more caustic resistance, why not make armor hardness itself a mitigation of caustic damage and then use guardian modules to boost to armor hardness instead:unsure:. I'm sure all the usual contenders could have amazing combinations of this and their shields, but for the ships that kind of got the short end of the stick in the shield department, it could give them a chance at viability that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Last edited:
Welcome to the great conceptual rift that is Elite Dangerous.

Yes, Guardian modules are underwhelming to say the least. Sadly that is the tax for devs wanting to have an online game. In singleplayer games you can have all sorts of awesome stuff and real linear power upgrade path. It doesn't matter that it's OP as long as you're having fun and feeling rewarded for your grind.
In an online game, though, this all goes out of the window. Everything has to be "balanced". Upgrades are just side-grades. It gives you the semblance of building something new, but not really more powerful. Just the same amount of powerful but in a different way.
All that because of the five guys who like to shoot each other and need the fights to be fair.

:LOL::p

Welcome to the great conceptual rift that is Elite Dangerous.

Yes, Guardian modules are underwhelming to say the least. Sadly that is the tax for devs wanting to have an online game. In singleplayer games you can have all sorts of awesome stuff and real linear power upgrade path. It doesn't matter that it's OP as long as you're having fun and feeling rewarded for your grind.
In an online game, though, this all goes out of the window. Everything has to be "balanced". Upgrades are just side-grades. It gives you the semblance of building something new, but not really more powerful. Just the same amount of powerful but in a different way.
All that because of the five guys who like to shoot each other and need the fights to be fair.

:LOL::p
Hahaha, "balance". In Elite Dangerous. :ROFLMAO:

Nah, the Guardian stuff doesn't have enough pride and accomplishment to it to be engineer-grade "balanced".

guardian modules are supposed to be an alternative to mildly engineered "normal" modules.

g5 engineered modules will always be better.

the only exception are unique modules and ones that are currently unengineerable (MRP). all thr other ones are worthless if you have the appropriate engineers unlocked and are willing to spend the time/resources.

When I stuck Guardian MRPs/HRPs in one of my ships I honestly thought they "weren't working", somehow, when they didn't recharge.

I mean, they draw power so they must recharge, somehow, right?

I got into a fight and then, after it was over, I was sitting there looking at my Modules-HUD, waiting for the MRP, in particular, to start regenerating.
Maybe, like the shield, it takes a while before it starts regenerating?
Nope.
Okay, maybe I need to disable my thrusters to divert power to it?
Still nothing.
So, here we have modules that draw a bunch of power but do almost the same thing as modules that draw no power?
Well, alrighty then.
Into the skip they go.

Damn, so glad I didn't pick the HRPs / MRPs now after my recent Guardian BP run. It never even occurred to me that they'd draw power, and it wouldn't occur to me that something that does draw power doesn't do anything with it.

As for the Guardian stuff, I still feel that the FSD Boost is by far the most useful, followed by the Shield Boost while the Power Plant and Distributor are fair alternatives to Mid-tier Engineered A-rated Items of the same size class.

Scoob.

The FSD booster is fine.

There is absolutely no reason in the GALAXY why guardian HRPs and MRPs take power. What the heck were they thinking?!

Damn, so glad I didn't pick the HRPs / MRPs now after my recent Guardian BP run.

Guardian MRP gives some protection against HUD scrambling and Module reboots when fighting Thargoids, so it is worth getting if you plan on killing bugs.

Guardian HRP would be worth getting if it provided better Corrosive resist and provided protection against Corrosive experimental effects applied to your ship.

Last edited:
When I stuck Guardian MRPs/HRPs in one of my ships I honestly thought they "weren't working", somehow, when they didn't recharge.

I mean, they draw power so they must recharge, somehow, right?

I got into a fight and then, after it was over, I was sitting there looking at my Modules-HUD, waiting for the MRP, in particular, to start regenerating.
Maybe, like the shield, it takes a while before it starts regenerating?
Nope.
Okay, maybe I need to disable my thrusters to divert power to it?
Still nothing.
So, here we have modules that draw a bunch of power but do almost the same thing as modules that draw no power?
Well, alrighty then.
Into the skip they go.

they do not recharge. they just give you more module/hull integrity in exchange for some power draw. they can be repaired like normal ones with AFMU.

the guardian MRP has the added advantage of negating module reboots when a goid hits you with force lightning. very handy as it can
n reboot your shield generator. since MRPs can't be engineered the guardian ones are better than stock ones and have the added bonus of keeping your modules from rebooting.

since MRPs can't be engineered the guardian ones are better than stock ones and have the added bonus of keeping your modules from rebooting.

C3 Guardian MRP takes you from 155 to 171 integrity at a cost of .61mW, it's really not better unless you have mWs to spare. The only time it is better than generic MRP is against bugs.

they do not recharge. they just give you more module/hull integrity in exchange for some power draw. they can be repaired like normal ones with AFMU.

the guardian MRP has the added advantage of negating module reboots when a goid hits you with force lightning. very handy as it can
n reboot your shield generator. since MRPs can't be engineered the guardian ones are better than stock ones and have the added bonus of keeping your modules from rebooting.

Still don’t see you logic on that. 10% more hp or integrity is by no means better if it comes with that kind of power use. Thats why I can’t justify even using them against a completelu unengineered hrp...

But I do find what you mentioned about the module reboots interesting. Have been searching for more info on all the secondary effects of guardian modules but have come up with very little except for maybe the distributer since its pretty blatant to see 100% move to 104% in your power priorities screen.

Still don’t see you logic on that. 10% more hp or integrity is by no means better if it comes with that kind of power use. Thats why I can’t justify even using them against a completelu unengineered hrp...

But I do find what you mentioned about the module reboots interesting. Have been searching for more info on all the secondary effects of guardian modules but have come up with very little except for maybe the distributer since its pretty blatant to see 100% move to 104% in your power priorities screen.

for anti goid builds there's usually enough power. I use 2x size 3 or 4.

Top Bottom