Crazy Idea! Remove FSD Interdictors!

I do however support more scenic combat zones, surface combat zones, combat in rings, wars around installations that you fight to control (not just pirate attacks) and combat around stations.

Exactly!

If two factions are at war, for example, it'd make things a lot more interesting if the CZs actually appear IN the same instance as stations that hosts both of those factions.

FDev would definitely need to extend the drop-in range to stations to allow stuff like this to happen but it'd be great if they could.

I wonder if the 24km (?) limit that applies to things like SLFs might prevent this?
Pretty sure I've flown long distances (>100km) from various installations, while trying to avoid attackers, and it hasn't been a problem though.

Exactly!

If two factions are at war, for example, it'd make things a lot more interesting if the CZs actually appear IN the same instance as stations that hosts both of those factions.

FDev would definitely need to extend the drop-in range to stations to allow stuff like this to happen but it'd be great if they could.

I wonder if the 24km (?) limit that applies to things like SLFs might prevent this?
Pretty sure I've flown long distances (>100km) from various installations, while trying to avoid attackers, and it hasn't been a problem though.

What you describe almost happened to me in a bug- a CZ appeared about 15Km out from a station. It was quite a sight to fly out and see it raging. Other CZ mix ups include refugee convoys mixed into a CZ, CZs with distro centres and in beta I had a new CZ with cap ship fought in an asteroid belt / cloud (the ones in deep space).

What you describe almost happened to me in a bug- a CZ appeared about 15Km out from a station. It was quite a sight to fly out and see it raging. Other CZ mix ups include refugee convoys mixed into a CZ, CZs with distro centres and in beta I had a new CZ with cap ship fought in an asteroid belt / cloud (the ones in deep space).

It's not a bug it's a feature?

As I understand, currently, if the defender keeps on target but the attacker also does, the favour goes to the attacker. I'm not keen on that. Its like winning a mini-game through skill but still losing overall. I think if both are keeping on target there should be no favour one way or another. So, if both keep on target indefinitely, they both keep going indefinitely. Ultimately it would take one or the other getting bored and either the defender submitting or the attacker breaking off to break it, or a mistake by one or the other.

As I understand, currently, if the defender keeps on target but the attacker also does, the favour goes to the attacker. I'm not keen on that. Its like winning a mini-game through skill but still losing overall. I think if both are keeping on target there should be no favour one way or another. So, if both keep on target indefinitely, they both keep going indefinitely. Ultimately it would take one or the other getting bored and either the defender submitting or the attacker breaking off to break it, or a mistake by one or the other.

Not sure about who has the advantage but the thing that irks me about the interdiction mini-game is that, AFAIK, both the attacker and the target are attempting to achieve an objective (chasing the little circle-thing) that's dictated by the game, itself.

There's no opportunity for an experienced player, who might know some "fancy moves", to make use of them to their own advantage.
Instead, both players simply have to chase the little circle until one of them either gives up or screws up.

Not sure about who has the advantage but the thing that irks me about the interdiction mini-game is that, AFAIK, both the attacker and the target are attempting to achieve an objective (chasing the little circle-thing) that's dictated by the game, itself.

There's no opportunity for an experienced player, who might know some "fancy moves", to make use of them to their own advantage.
Instead, both players simply have to chase the little circle until one of them either gives up or screws up.

Hmm... are you sure? I was under the impression (just from my experiences) that the actual movements are dependant on the relative positons and angles of each - if you only go for the target, yeah, it's mostly the game just wibbling it about a bit, but I've done some interdictions from some weird angles, and it's made me win it quite quickly if I actually pointed myself in front/behind the ship I'm pulling over a bit, as opposed to directly at them (This is from the attacking side though, not as sure about the defending side). Could well just be me though.

Exactly!

Yes please and I'd like to see more things happen. Say you fight near a station, I doubt it's inhabitants would like to stay there so the Devs could introduce refugee ships fleeing and missions to accept refugees to a nearby system. Maybe a repair ship is flying in the vicinity. And if it's on a planet surface how about some anti air support for the defending faction. One of the missions could be to take it out.

Hmm... are you sure? I was under the impression (just from my experiences) that the actual movements are dependant on the relative positons and angles of each - if you only go for the target, yeah, it's mostly the game just wibbling it about a bit, but I've done some interdictions from some weird angles, and it's made me win it quite quickly if I actually pointed myself in front/behind the ship I'm pulling over a bit, as opposed to directly at them (This is from the attacking side though, not as sure about the defending side). Could well just be me though.

I guess we can't be completely sure of the mechanics involved.
I'm sure groups of PvPers might've experimented with different things to see if they had any effect but we can't understand it fully 'cos it's up to the game to generate the circle-thing.

Point is, there's very little player agency involved in the mini-game.
For the most part, you just chase the circle and if you do it well you win.
About the only agency a player can apply, is to head for a planet or star so they crash out of SC before the interdiction is complete.

Even if we assume that the attacker's circle-thing is showing them the optimal vector required to complete an interdiction (which I'm seriously dubious about), the target is stuck with simply chasing a circle-thing of their own, rather than being given the freedom to do other things to evade the interdiction.

If I'm flying, say, an AspX and I get interdicted by an Annie or a T10, surely it should be a matter of simply out-turning the attacker to get out of the arc of their FSI - which I should be able to do easily in a ship with much greater SC agility?
Instead, both participants are stuck with the routine of following their own little circle-things which appear to be moving around in a matter that's just as challenging for both ships.

I can see arguments relating to the removal of the FSDI, but ultimately it all comes down to a combination of reducing tedium while trading in safe regions vs giving pirates and bounty hunters enough opportunity to hunt down their prey.

Removing the interdictor could work if there was sufficient scope for interaction before a ship gets into the NFZ. This could be simply by ships entering realspace further away, encouraging scanning of nav beacons or even forcing ships to stop at temporary waypoints for codes in some systems.

As I understand, that isn't the case though. As i understand, you can keep dead center and still lose. At least, i've read reports to that effect and it does match experiences i've had as well.

Uhuh.

I'd be interested to try, for example, fitting a T9 with an FSI and then interdicting players in a variety of ships ranging from another T9 to a Vulture or Eagle.

Theoretically, from the T9's POV it should be much harder for the T9 to interdict an Eagle than another T9 whereas, from the target's POV, I'd hope it'd be a breeze for an Eagle to evade being interdicted by a T9.
Point being, if you're in a ship with good SC agility, you're probably going to win against a less agile ship, even if they do a great job of following their escape-vector.

Which brings me back to the lack of agency.

If you're flying, say, a T9 and you get interdicted by, say, an FdL then you're probably on a hiding to nothing regardless of how well you do.
It should (AFAIK) always be easier for the FdL jockey to chase a circle-thing that reflects a T9's agility than it is for a T9 jockey to chase a circle-thing that reflects an FdL's agility.

It'd be nice if there was some way an experienced T9 pilot could carry out some manoeuvres that might confuse an average FdL pilot rather than just spending their time chasing the escape-vector.

I dont want to be interdicted by, nor interdict, a player with so much latency it basically reduce interaction to a turn-based game. That's how useless the interdiction is in term of pvp. It could as well be an auto submit/win, if FDev dont give people basic matchmaking options, it'll just never do.

Top Bottom