Horizons Deep Space Travel

Some body has to winge about it. May as well be me.

I get that the ship moves and shakes a bit, but the fact that the universe shakes in time to your ship.
It is bloody ridiculous![down]

No-one needs to whinge about it, it's how the world works in the real world. When you're strapped inside a thing that is bouncing and jerking - you are being bounced around, so the universe appears to be moving (relative to you), and the thing you are in is bouncing even more (because your head is stabilizing your viewpoint somewhat), so the motions are in time because they're physically linked.

It's looking "off" to you because your brain isn't sensing any physical motion (you're comfortably sitting still in a chair, nothing in your peripheral vision is moving) and so has disproven the "I'm being bounced around" possibility and consequently is trying to process the visual feed as meaning something else (and arriving at a conclusion that makes no sense).
But for those of us whose brains are more easily fooled, it looks fine. And for people like you, well, you just need a motion-simulator chair :D
Cheap ones are about $10,000 unfortunately :(
(An occulus rift might be a cheaper device to tip your brain over into the intended response, but it might not)

Last edited:
No-one needs to whinge about it, it's how the world works in the real world. When you're strapped inside a thing that is bouncing and jerking - you are being bounced around, so the universe appears to be moving (relative to you)
Only if you bolt your head rigidly to the ship's frame. Not if you are sitting in a chair with any kind of dampening suspension, and your neck and eyesight would also naturally and very efficiently filter high-frequency shakes. Only low-frequency vibration or high-intensity shocks would get through, and then your nervous system would actually shut down your eyesight for fractions of a second to keep you from getting too disoriented. So no, it's not "how the world works in the real world [sic]"; it's far from it. You don't experience "head bob" in the real world, nor would you experience any of the stupid fixed-camera shake that E:⁠D and many other games subject the player to unless you're playing torture simulators.

Deleted member 38366

D
My 2 cents :

The "shaky cam(tm)" effect IMHO is indeed too pronounced in some Ships.
So is the acceleration/deceleration headbob, as it literally can pull some 20% of the entire HUD permanently out of view, including rather critical infos.

If anything, a preferences slider should be implemented to give a coarse limiter option.

Frankly, I don't think I could stand the acceleration/deceleration shake of i.e. a Type-6, if I was running a VR set.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience it's just how the real world works - from big hulking machines in the low Hz that make your whole body shake in sympathy to high frequency stuff that freakily blurs your vision and throws you off balance I think you underestimate how much vibration can affect you.

Hell you get plenty of headbob driving hard, let alone rollercoasters and the like - just your brain filters it as best possible. If anything they've given us a prettier version, can't complain but the forwards/back motion seems rather exaggerated gotta agree on that.

They removed it for VR users so I can't see why monitor users can't have an option. It is greatly exaggerated to help immerse monitor users., hence why VR users asked for it to be removed.

I have a transducer strapped to my seat, it causes a realistic amount of vibration and feedback when in VR, you can even feel and view the effect from turbulence in supercruise & witchspace. Small dampened jolts and low frequency vibrations, like being on board an aircraft during moderate turbulence, Nothing like the overdone effect on a monitor.

Last edited:
They removed it for VR users so I can't see why monitor users can't have an option. It is greatly exaggerated to help immerse monitor users., hence why VR users asked for it to be removed.

I have a transducer strapped to my seat, it causes a realistic amount of vibration and feedback when in VR, you can even feel and view the effect from turbulence in supercruise & witchspace. Small dampened jolts and low frequency vibrations, like being on board an aircraft during moderate turbulence, Nothing like the overdone effect on a monitor.

This^ should be an option for monitor users.

My 2 cents :

The "shaky cam(tm)" effect IMHO is indeed too pronounced in some Ships.
So is the acceleration/deceleration headbob, as it literally can pull some 20% of the entire HUD permanently out of view, including rather critical infos.

If anything, a preferences slider should be implemented to give a coarse limiter option.

Frankly, I don't think I could stand the acceleration/deceleration shake of i.e. a Type-6, if I was running a VR set.

And most ridiculously the accel/decel 'headbob' is transfered to the system map view as well, rendering parts of it unreadable/inaccessible while cruising near a stellar object.

Only if you bolt your head rigidly to the ship's frame. Not if you are sitting in a chair with any kind of dampening suspension, and your neck and eyesight would also naturally and very efficiently filter high-frequency shakes. Only low-frequency vibration or high-intensity shocks would get through, and then your nervous system would actually shut down your eyesight for fractions of a second to keep you from getting too disoriented. So no, it's not "how the world works in the real world [sic]"; it's far from it. You don't experience "head bob" in the real world, nor would you experience any of the stupid fixed-camera shake that E:⁠D and many other games subject the player to unless you're playing torture simulators.

No, it's how the real world works - a jolt moves the frame a lot, which moves your body a little (dampening), which means the ship moves visually relative to you and to the exterior (which also moves relative to you). That your nervous system (sitting calmly in front of a monitor) is not responding to forces that it is not actually being subjected to in no way changes whether the relative motions being depicted in-game make mechanical sense.

Beyond that it just gets pointless to debate because the "forces" we're talking about are near-instantaneous accelerations to thousands of times the speed of light, so anyone can handwavium as much space-bending physics into it as makes them happy. I am happy. If you are not happy, then handwavium more (or less) until you are :)

Last edited:
Sitting in a car and driving is the same as driving the space ship. The ship can shake, but the scenery does not move. Driving down a dirt road on afarm at forty miles per hour, okay? You can see that your scenery does not shake to the left when the vehicle shakes to the left, or, shake to the right when your vehicle shakes to the right.
The Elite dangerous setup is as if the windscreen of the ship is glued to the star scenery in the background.
I'm not talking about the inside of the ship moving. I'm talking about the game makes the ship shake a little bit as you are moving quietly from station to station. The game makes the stars move in exactly the same way as your ships windscreen does. That is just plain stupid.

Top Bottom