Defense battles are too simple

Hi,

I want to give my opinion on the defense battle, the AI is not very smart especially on the combined use of infantry and artillery during an attack, the artillery hits randomly on my positions while the mechanics of this game allows when an artillery unit hits a trench the infantry and machine gun can not shoot or then quite disparately on the advancing units. Not to mention the choice of targets, at times unweakened trenches will be targeted while other more weakened trenches will be little attacked.

Something nice would be that the AI would plan its attack as a consequence of the trenches and the range of the infantry controlled by the player, its artillery would hit the first lines so that the infantry progresses without too much difficulty of course keeping a percentage of missed hits to keep this historical aspect. This would add more challenges to the defenses, especially when at a numerical disadvantage with little supply. Because currently, the opposing infantry loses sometimes more than 90% of their troops before they reach my trenches. I just have to lay out my trenches on 3-4 levels by posting machine guns and sometimes mortars and I can inflict casualty ratios of 1 to 12-13 sometimes.

i'm curious how you place your trench networks. I find the ai will prioritise my machineguns then my most forward trenches. While I can sometimes inflict brutally heavy casualties, I more often find they get into melee in my trench network. Then again I'm pretty used to being outnumbered by a ridiculous degree and spend all 20 minutes under unyielding unrelenting artillery bombardment.

Playing the same game?

The AI does all that. It uses all stuff as I experience and it uses it at the right time with imperfactions and iaccuracy.
It has also baked in a weighting where to attack. You do just doulble trench line and it goes often over map edge, because there is no threat from one neighbouring trench.
It favours mg emplacement and will go to field hq if you have gap in line. It also likes to attack weak edges of your line and pick a weakest point if you design not just double line or have breaks in terrain.
You run skirmish and let the ai run wild it uses all tools at it's disposal, time efficient up to the point it just overwhelms by doing things faster.
Once it commits it tends to stick a bit to the attack plan but switches up sometimes.

Top Bottom