Dell Visor Windows MR & Elite Dangerous

I posted this on Reddit as well but thought I would chuck it here too.

There seems to be a lack of detail from other posters about their experiences so I thought I would post a bit of a wall of txt.

TL;DR It works great on a powerful setup.

I got a Dell Visor to demo/play with yesterday, note I did not pay for it nor have I tried any of the other Windows Headsets (Mind you only the Acer is also available here in NZ).

I have a new and shiny i5 8600k (with basic bios automated OC), 16GB of 3200DD4, 1080ti on an Asus Strix Z370-I mobo setup that is only a few weeks old. My motherboard has built in wifi and bluetooth with a large sharkfin antenna. I use this for network connectivity and bluetooth keyboard already.

Currently I use a Sony 46" 1080p 3D TV screen as my monitor as my setup is in my lounge. I have used this in active 3D mode with Elite (side-by-side) and used the tracker thingy you put on your headphones (the name escapes me at the moment). Using Logitech G933 7.1 Wireless headphones/mic.

I have used a Vive a number of times at a friend’s house but have never seen or used a Rift.

I unboxed the Visor and controllers, setup was a breeze. Plugged the HDMI into the second output on the graphics card, the USB into a 3.0 port and bluetooth connected to the controllers straight away (the antenna's proximity probably helped there).

After playing with the Cliff House and generally testing stuff I fired up SteamVR, I managed to get the private beta key in anticipation, and this was prior to the beta going public (as this was yesterday NZ time) I don't know if there is a new version with the public beta. Windows was fully patched with the latest updates released yesterday.

Elite launched in VR and, well just worked. I set the options to VR Ultra and jumped into my Engineer-unlocking multi-purpose Anaconda which was docked on a random planet.

I took off and flew around and was generally awed by the cockpit etc. I was a bit concerned about crashes or issues though and decided to take my 'conda back to Jameson Memorial and get into something cheaper to rebuy (my 'conda only has a 15mil rebuy but still!) in case of issues.

Insert the general OMG everything is so large and the cockpits are amazing here. They are, but I think that's been said before and probably more articulately that I can :)

I found entering the station way easier than normal, oh yeah, I can look up! I played around with my ships and cockpits for a bit and then flew out in my Dolphin for a bit of sightseeing.

Everything ran flawless and smooth. I don't know how to turn FPS on in VR but it was smooth enough that I didn't even consider it. No nausea at any rate (and I do get motion sickness!).

The headset did take some finicky positioning to get the sweet spot right to make everything clear in both eyes (with one eye shut) I suspect my IPD might be a bit big, I will measure this and see of the software adjustment helps at the weekend. I could get it comfortable and my G933's sat over the top fine, I did manage to turn the G933's off a couple of times accidentally as the headband kind of rests on the power switch but a bit of adjustment fixed that.

I had no problem reading txt at all. You do have to look at it, peripheral vision is impeded by the nature of the headset, but still the clarity was fine. The screen door effect (SDE) is certainly a lot less pronounced than on the Vive, and this was my biggest issue with the Vive. It is there and noticeable in places, like as you approach the sun towards the end of a FSD jump but in general it doesn’t stand out.

Things aren't as clear or shiny as on even my 1080p TV. This is the trade-off I guess for that 3D feel. The VR blows the 3D TV away in my opinion. The immersion is amazing and the ability to look around at everything is awesome. What people say is true.

I didn't play with super sampling in either Elite or Steam, just had VR Ultra set as stated before. I will have a play at some point.

My PC did get hot, the fans span up, not to max but certainly very audible, which never occurs in 2D, so I guess it was working for a living.

I don’t know if that is vaguely useful for others but there you have it. I'm looking forward to some more flying time tonight and hope they don't ask for the Visor back too soon :)

Sounds great. I'll be trying out the Samsung HMD over the next couple of days.

I posted this on Reddit as well but thought I would chuck it here too.

There seems to be a lack of detail from other posters about their experiences so I thought I would post a bit of a wall of txt.

TL;DR It works great on a powerful setup.

I got a Dell Visor to demo/play with yesterday, note I did not pay for it nor have I tried any of the other Windows Headsets (Mind you only the Acer is also available here in NZ).

I have a new and shiny i5 8600k (with basic bios automated OC), 16GB of 3200DD4, 1080ti on an Asus Strix Z370-I mobo setup that is only a few weeks old. My motherboard has built in wifi and bluetooth with a large sharkfin antenna. I use this for network connectivity and bluetooth keyboard already.

Currently I use a Sony 46" 1080p 3D TV screen as my monitor as my setup is in my lounge. I have used this in active 3D mode with Elite (side-by-side) and used the tracker thingy you put on your headphones (the name escapes me at the moment). Using Logitech G933 7.1 Wireless headphones/mic.

I have used a Vive a number of times at a friend’s house but have never seen or used a Rift.

I unboxed the Visor and controllers, setup was a breeze. Plugged the HDMI into the second output on the graphics card, the USB into a 3.0 port and bluetooth connected to the controllers straight away (the antenna's proximity probably helped there).

After playing with the Cliff House and generally testing stuff I fired up SteamVR, I managed to get the private beta key in anticipation, and this was prior to the beta going public (as this was yesterday NZ time) I don't know if there is a new version with the public beta. Windows was fully patched with the latest updates released yesterday.

Elite launched in VR and, well just worked. I set the options to VR Ultra and jumped into my Engineer-unlocking multi-purpose Anaconda which was docked on a random planet.

I took off and flew around and was generally awed by the cockpit etc. I was a bit concerned about crashes or issues though and decided to take my 'conda back to Jameson Memorial and get into something cheaper to rebuy (my 'conda only has a 15mil rebuy but still!) in case of issues.

Insert the general OMG everything is so large and the cockpits are amazing here. They are, but I think that's been said before and probably more articulately that I can :)

I found entering the station way easier than normal, oh yeah, I can look up! I played around with my ships and cockpits for a bit and then flew out in my Dolphin for a bit of sightseeing.

Everything ran flawless and smooth. I don't know how to turn FPS on in VR but it was smooth enough that I didn't even consider it. No nausea at any rate (and I do get motion sickness!).

The headset did take some finicky positioning to get the sweet spot right to make everything clear in both eyes (with one eye shut) I suspect my IPD might be a bit big, I will measure this and see of the software adjustment helps at the weekend. I could get it comfortable and my G933's sat over the top fine, I did manage to turn the G933's off a couple of times accidentally as the headband kind of rests on the power switch but a bit of adjustment fixed that.

I had no problem reading txt at all. You do have to look at it, peripheral vision is impeded by the nature of the headset, but still the clarity was fine. The screen door effect (SDE) is certainly a lot less pronounced than on the Vive, and this was my biggest issue with the Vive. It is there and noticeable in places, like as you approach the sun towards the end of a FSD jump but in general it doesn’t stand out.

Things aren't as clear or shiny as on even my 1080p TV. This is the trade-off I guess for that 3D feel. The VR blows the 3D TV away in my opinion. The immersion is amazing and the ability to look around at everything is awesome. What people say is true.

I didn't play with super sampling in either Elite or Steam, just had VR Ultra set as stated before. I will have a play at some point.

My PC did get hot, the fans span up, not to max but certainly very audible, which never occurs in 2D, so I guess it was working for a living.

I don’t know if that is vaguely useful for others but there you have it. I'm looking forward to some more flying time tonight and hope they don't ask for the Visor back too soon :)

This is so helpful. I’m sitting on Adorama.com about to order this exact headset for the sole purpose of using it to play ED. Definitely ordering it. I hope it sets up this easily for me when it arrives.

Thanks for the time spent putting this review together.

Top Bottom