Developer Journal: How to Manage Animal Behaviours

I am very excited about this and again please keep updating the animal behaviour even after the game is release as there is some much potential you can do with it as the animals could be used for future game projects or expansion! Keep building layers of it even release it as DLC if need too so you can get financial support cause there is Oxygen not included and it has layers and layers of complexity and managment players really love that! :)

You have to also see that players will get bored and get to see all the behaviours of the animal so for them not to get bored is to keep updating the animal behaviour over a long period of time. :) We don't get bore of our chickens in real life cause they display complex behaviours and i would really love that the animal AI will get the TLC needed for a long time to come! 10 Amazing detail AI animals is far better then 100 different types of animals with a few different behaviors. As i am reading articles, youtube that the animals will be so real but i hope you can keep updating the animal behavior and not stop on release please! :)

Cause if you have this long term plan its okay if your animal AI are not that advance when release cause we know that you be planning to keep updating the behaviour and so we will keep waiting to see how a specific love animal will turn out to be. And then you won't need special tricks to show a certain action for an animal. It will require patient and love to finally see that animal do a specific love behavior you been waiting for a long time!

These animals can also be bought with real money if another player wanted it for their zoo or could trade? Cause the animal would have a huge depth of skills and things wanted that an ordinary lion would not have. So special exp Lions or animals that has been care for in all area of their life will be highly valued in money! :) No two animals of players zoo will ever be the same and that its why it could cost for players to actually want to buy it with real money or trade. I am not sure if this is a popular thing or not but it sure is in Eve online or these massive game where it took alot of time to get an item or craft it. Or like giving away your character you would sell it cause there has been alot that has gone into it and so the same is with your animals. :)

Last edited:
African elephants playing in the snow are unlikely to be found in a real zoo, as the animals are probably far too sensitive. And grizzly bears are known to sleep in winter. Can the animals also retreat into buildings in bad weather or can they only shelter? Do the animals also behave naturally with regard to hibernation etc. ?

African elephants playing in the snow are unlikely to be found in a real zoo, as the animals are probably far too sensitive. And grizzly bears are known to sleep in winter. Can the animals also retreat into buildings in bad weather or can they only shelter? Do the animals also behave naturally with regard to hibernation etc. ?
I can't speak for all of these, but I can speak for the bears. With enough food and proper conditions in zoos, bears don't hibernate. They have active bears all year round. I live about an hour away from the Yellowstone Grizzly and Wolf center and they told me this personally!

its debatable.
in Dublin zoo when we had a snowstorm a few years back, the elephants where let out from their indoor enclosure for a while to stretch their legs after the storm was gone and it was only light snow, the baby elephants loved to play with the snow and the adults where very curios about it also.

other animals from hot country also enjoyed the snow.

obviously the indoor enclosure was left open for them in the event that they get too cold and want to return to the heat.
but generally a lot of animals get curious about snow and such and will investigate it before deciding if they like it or not.

i wouldn't say its an unlikely thing to happen in zoo's, especially those that have a higher chance of snow, as its more unlikely to keep larger animals like giraffes or elephants locked up until snow goes away, they are animals that need to move and have more space.

i will share some images as proof:

this guy even looked to be having fun like the elephant in the video :)
Screen-Shot-2018-03-01-at-09.06.34-768x1024.png

Screen-Shot-2018-03-01-at-08.53.27-1024x676.png

Screen-Shot-2018-03-01-at-08.48.49-1024x759.png

more images found here: https://www.buzz.ie/life-style/dublin-zoo-photos-animals-snow-275304

it is VERY rare for Ireland to get snow xD Especially places like Dublin ,because we are next to the sea, and generally its not usually cold enough here for snow.
so it was most of these animals first times seeing the snow at the zoo, and they where having great fun with it.

Last edited:
How you talk about Lions and Lioness courtship & breeding, will it be the same with Tigers... only bringing them together when she is in season? otherwise the Male will often kill the female if the timing is not right?

Lions live in prides all the time, regardless if there is breeding going on or not, as for the tigers, it's incredibly rare for a male to kill a female, rather, the female is more likely to lash out and attack the male, though one again, it's rare she kills him, it's not like that.. there's mearly a fight (if that) and they both go there own ways, there is no reason to try and kill the opposite sex, unless the male animal is activley threatening a mother with cubs, then she will do anything (including inflicting damaging or deadly wounds to the male if he isn't careful) These are big cats, not spiders LOL

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Regarding elephants, I've been told by zookeepers in The Netherlands that they let elephants outside for only a few hours a day when it's below 4°C in order to protect the blood vains in the ears of the elephants, as these are close to the skin (elephants use their ears for cooling).

When there's snow the elephants are usually kept inside because snow can turn into slippery ice when elephants walk over it, as walking over snow compresses it to ice. Ice can be dangerous for elephants as they can slip and hurt themselves.

In the game we can pretend that snow doesn't get compressed, so I don't think it's an issue in the game. Besides that, it looks really nice to see elephants playing with snow.

Lions live in prides all the time, regardless if there is breeding going on or not, as for the tigers, it's incredibly rare for a male to kill a female, rather, the female is more likely to lash out and attack the male, though one again, it's rare she kills him, it's not like that.. there's mearly a fight (if that) and they both go there own ways, there is no reason to try and kill the opposite sex, unless the male animal is activley threatening a mother with cubs, then she will do anything (including inflicting damaging or deadly wounds to the male if he isn't careful) These are big cats, not spiders LOL

This is incorrect when speaking of Tigers in Zoos and breeding. Some species or individuals can be kept together yes but generally when breeding the Male will in fact kill the female if she is not in season correctly.

This is incorrect when speaking of Tigers in Zoos and breeding. Some species or individuals can be kept together yes but generally when breeding the Male will in fact kill the female if she is not in season correctly.

Actually, you have some facts wrong, the fights that in sue from male and females placed together when not in season is merely territorial and lack of space/ threat driven. Tigers generally are not kept together due to their strong independent nature, and deaths are rare. this isn't a "shes not receptive so we will fight" it's "there's another tiger within my space, and since there is no reason for us to be together.." then a fight could happen. Some do have luck keeping them together, though it doesn't always work out! 😆

Last edited:

Sorry, but I do believe you’re incorrect (slightly!), In most fights, it isn’t because they (female) isn’t in season xD and as mentioned, death is rare, though it happens :) a solitary animal will fight for territorial rights and, being a territorial big cat, and not having the huge territories they would in the wild, spats over space are highly likely. Males and females are more likely to fight over space than out of season mating problems xD and again, it can result in injury that can lead to death, but a fight to the immediate death is uncommon to say the least!

Last edited:
Now, female (and male) tigers, lions, bears ect are far more likely to actually get locked into fatal combat in zoos due to incompatible pairing (zoo's fault) this has sadly lead to deaths of tigers, lions, leopards ect.. so yes, ZKE3PER deaths can and do happen :) actually I believe not too long ago, a male tiger killed a tigress, but again, it was due to zookeeper error, and in 2014, a female tiger attacked and fatally wounded a male when inexperienced keepers thought she was receptive (but wasn't) lead to a death. This is why people need to be extra careful (in real life!) when it comes to breeding animals.

Speaking of which, there was an error made (stupid inexcusable mistake) made by humans than led a stallion to die when he was suppose to breed a mare. Tragic.

Last edited:
Now, female (and male) tigers, lions, bears ect are far more likely to actually get locked into fatal combat in zoos due to incompatible pairing (zoo's fault) this has sadly lead to deaths of tigers, lions, leopards ect.. so yes, ZKE3PER deaths can and do happen :) actually I believe not too long ago, a male tiger killed a tigress, but again, it was due to zookeeper error, and in 2014, a female tiger attacked and fatally wounded a male when inexperienced keepers thought she was receptive (but wasn't) lead to a death. This is why people need to be extra careful (in real life!) when it comes to breeding animals.

Speaking of which, there was an error made (stupid inexcusable mistake) made by humans than led a stallion to die when he was suppose to breed a mare. Tragic.

Yes I know I actually work with tigers, but thanks. But you missed my actual breeding question. Don’t make it about what the actual behaviour is because you have a degree, yes I know it’s the territorial part but the question still is correct if you let tigers in together when she is not in season they will fight and usually the female will be killed. Sooooooo will the “GAME” have mechanics to bring them together to breed and will it allow the female to be killed if she is not cycling oooooorrrrrrr because it’s a game will they ignor this since they can come into season anywhere between 2-6 weeks a part.

No offense or anything, but you just sound kinda young.

That being said, the fight happens because she isn’t in season and and he has a desire to mate. This happens 99% in zoos mostly, and AGAIN deaths are rare. And it isn’t always the female tiger who’s killed. You’re just repeating what Tiger said, and I highly DOUBT the game will allow that to happen.

Again, not trying to be offensive or mean, just how I see it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom