Discussion Diary of a Quest 2 Owner Still on the Hunt for OVR Success

TL;DR - Can a Quest 2 or Oculus owner please share their VR + 3rd party OVR solution or workaround they use to enjoy Elite?

Detailed Version:

Hello all posting here in this forum because I am a VR owner struggling big time with trying to bring 3rd party tools into my VR experience. Heck if I could just get chrome in there and nothing else I'd be in heaven.

Quest 2 owner.

Tried OVRDrop, refunded.

V, got the tool to display couldnt do anything with it.

I'm pulling my hair out how best to use EDDB.IO, Inara, Miner Tool and all these great sites without constantly fumbling the headset breaking the immersion completely.

My workaround that I am "almost there":
I own Virtual Desktop and play through Wifi6 and it works phenomenal.

Using VD I pick up Oculus controller hit the menu button and then select "show desktops" button. From there I have the Virtual Desktop view of my monitor.

I setup a crazy amount of commands and powershell scripts etc to get called via voice commands and it works great. I have script to start chrome with all websites opened, close chrome, show chrome, minimize, maximize. Have VA config to hop between tabs etc... all good.

"UNTIL IN GAME!" - Sigh.

When I do the above all the voice commands work on the desktop. I have Voice Attack setup to focus the apps I need like Chrome, etc. so they can show in front of the annoying ED window that is forced in view.... that all works.

BUT ONCE CHROME IS FOCUSED I CANNOT CLICK ANY LINKS OR INTERACT.... WTH. ED just completely OWNS the desktop.

If anyone can help that owns a Quest 2 I'd be in your debt.

If there is a tool that brings OVR that works with Quest 2 I'd be in heaven. I read about the issues with OVR and Oculus due to Oculus SDK thing...

Do I need to buy a different headset to enjoy VR in Elite??? Every guide I find on this topic is like from 2017, and surprisingly few hits at that, I would think this would be a big topic for Elite VR, with lots of guides/content, but NOPE.

I know there are a lot of people enjoying Elite in VR. I must be missing something.

Last edited:
I found my heaven through OVR Toolkit.

Took a while to figure it out but at least it had a good setup tutorial. It's as close to perfect as I could have hoped.

Best part is that the stuff I setup with VA works great with it. I really love the multiple windows and VR controller support, the virtual keyboard is fantastic. Another great feature is in the same way you can look at Elite panels and they appear.. you can have the windows appear/hide when you look at them too.

I like the interface as well. Look at your wrist and menu appears and everything can be configured in-game. Hits all the bells.

Top Bottom