Newcomer / Intro Different bindings for Normal and Supercruise

The game doesn’t let me map 2 different actions on the same button. Like Boost and FSS.
Boost can be performed only on normal flight, and FSS only in Supercruise, so technically they would never interfere, so I see no reason not to map both on the same button.
Can I just edit the binding file to « force bind » this way ?
(I probably should just give it a try but I would like to know if anyone have done this already)

Also I noticed that while I’m in supercruise, if I accidentaly press « Reverse throttle », the game take it into account, but because you cannot fly backwards in Supercruise, then the ship just sits at minimal throttle.
This puzzled me a couple time, I did believe my hotas was faulty. Now that I know it, I use the « hold » Reverse throttle instead of toggle.
Is there any way to disable the « Reverse throttle » button while in Supercruise ?

Ultimately, my question is : is there any way to map different bindings for Normal flight and Supercruise ?

There actually are quite a few functions that are "mutually compatible" (i.e. you can map them on the same button) but I'd very much advise against trying it with functions that don't specifically allow it.

Regarding the reverse throttle - if you are using a joystick (HOTAS) with throttle axis, you can switch the axis to "Full Range" instead of "Forward only". If you do that, you won't need the reverse button. The "0" on the throttle will be in the middle, instead and you can go forwards or backwards for there.

For your ultimate question, therefore - it depends on the function. Boost in particular is kind of incompatible with most things, but as for scanners, you definitely can have both sublight and SC scanners on the same button and use them contextually.

You can map the three "regular" scanners - discovery, data and composition - to the same button in the same firegroup, and they'll get activated in context
  • data scanner with weapons deployed and data scan object targeted
  • composition scanner with corresponding object targeted
  • discovery scanner anytime else

It can just get a little confusing if you get the HONK when scanning a data beacon or a fumarole because your targeting was just a bit off...

Otherwise, mapping boost and landing gears to the same button (once direct, once with modifier) is apparently also possible, at least for console controllers.

Regarding your issue with the FSS - basically yes, but as the FSS was added much later, the compatibility was apparently not completely checked. At the start, even enter FSS and exit FSS had to be mapped to different buttons.
Regular flight and SC - not that I'd be aware of.

I suppose you could have Boost on one button and FSS on <SHIFT>+the same button on a keyboard.

If you want a more complicated answer I have buttons on my joy stick which are programmed to macros.
It might be possible to program a HOTAS key to have different functions depending on whether it is tapped or held down.

My Thrustmaster TARGET software has something called the TEMPO Command - which allows multiple outputs on a single button.
It also has the Layers function.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to play with the coding at the moment.

If you want to read up on it then there's a .pdf file here:-
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download...rget/target_script_editor_basics_v1.5_eng.pdf

I suppose you could have Boost on one button and FSS on <SHIFT>+the same button on a keyboard.

Thanks. That's what I did finally,
I use a T16000 HOTAS and I think I'm almost at the point where my bindings are ideals : I can fully control my ship / SRV + each one of the many functions (maps, FSS, etc.) provided, with no need at all to remove my hands from the throttle and stick !

NNNnooooo !
Now I have to try it and it'll be great and I will then constantly MOVE my hand from the stick to the mouse and back.

NNnoooooo !

NNNnooooo !
Now I have to try it and it'll be great and I will then constantly MOVE my hand from the stick to the mouse and back.

NNnoooooo !

You'll only thank me once set up right :p Scroll for zoom, side buttons for moving the spectrum and the rest set up as you'd expect. Makes FSS hunting almost enjoyable!

Top Bottom