Dinosaurs "Dinosaurs waking up after being sedated" concept

(Because of how far between 1.12 and now it has been, nobody can be sure what the next nearest larger future update will introduce into the game. This idea here is just in case the next one won't have it.)

Currently in-game, when a dinosaur gets tranqed, they enter a total complete ragdoll state. This means they just go from highly animated models, into limped models, excluding their breathing animations. I've seen people suggest dinos waking up after being sedated for a long period of time. However, there is a rather major incompatible problem with this, something that was already obvious when I first played the game.

Remember, dinos turn into breathing ragdolls, which means they will drop into any position imaginable by even the slightest inch. If a dino has to wake up from this state, they would have to be animated well for this particular game. You need to think how this could work well for this kind of game because if they were to wake up when in these limp model states, there needs to be a lot of meshings and plenty more to make them both move and feel right and not end up being hilariously sequenced. That would be much too much to deliberately work on, as there is only so much you can do to make them right. So, a much better alternative for this concept to work is to not have them turn into ragdolls.

In many games I know of when you tranquilize animals of any kind, be it dinosaurs or regular animals, they all enter a script animation sequence by laying down and going to sleep. Then, for those whose animals do wake up afterwards, their sequences switch into one that makes them wake up and stand back up. And Jurassic World Evolution already has these lay down, sleep, wake up, and stand up for all the in-game land dinos already.

When an in-game dinosaur goes into "Sleeping" or "Dying" behavior statuses, they will lay down and sleep away until they wake up, the latter status for which waking up can only happen when they're being healed. So, how about expanding that with tranqed dinos? You dart them to sleep, they enter their 'going to sleep' sequence first before staying asleep until the sedation wears out where by then they start their 'waking up' sequence.

Now, there is also another problem that must be heard. If you happen to be starting a tranqed dinosaur's transport sequence, where a pick up helicopter spawns in to pick up the sedated dinosaur, what would happen if that assigned dino starts to wake up before it gets picked up? Could the chopper just despawn, or can it be possible to disable the sedation wear out mechanic so that the sequence operates properly? I haven't experienced much on what happens when you start a transport chopper to pick up a tranqed dino before it gets killed, so I can't say much on that at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom