Horizons Discovery scan makes NPC ships hostile?

Hi all, I'm a born-again newb as I haven't played ED since Dec 2015, before Horizons. A lot has changed and I'm not sure if some things are features or bugs. Hope someone can help me out with this one.

Are NPC ships supposed to become hostile if you use an ADS scan while they are targeted??

I was at Pleione 11A looking for barnacles and encountered one of the imperial capital ships (eventually found 3 there). My first time seeing one so no idea what to expect. It was green in the scope, and my rep is Empire friendish (65%) so I approached slowly.

There were also a pair of "Imperial Navy" couriers, also green (but Lawless due to the system). Their chatter spam said something about "establish a perimeter". One approached and scanned me and moved on with no message.

As I reached about 2km from the INV, I was cycling through the different targets on it. For some reason I pressed my scan button forgetting it's an ADS not a ship scanner. (I think I did that because in SRV we can now scan stuff for data packets, so the new habit took over).

As soon as the ADS honked one of the couriers became hostile and opened fire on me (the other one stayed green in the scope). I also swear I was taking volleys from the INV. It was dark night so I couldn't see much except being fired upon from the INV's direction and near it. One of the weapons being fired was like a ball of energy coasting toward me, a weapon type I've not seen before.

I got my DBX out of there by low waking back up to OC. Lost shields and third of hull.

After shields returned I went back down. This time no couriers. INV remained green and I was able to cozy up for selfies. I didn't honk the ADS again though!!

At the other 2 cap ship sites there were no other small ships encountered.

Any idea what happened here?? Was the ADS just a coincidence? Why did the courier suddenly go agro on a friendly?? Is there a bug here?

Thanks!

UPDATE 03 Sep 2016: Now bug-reported here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/105-PC-Mac-Bug-Reports.

Last edited:
As far as I know that isn't supposed to happen at all. You didn't have any illegal cargo did you? And do you have any weapons equipped to your current ship?

Sounds like security scan, you sure you didn't have a bounty anywhere or anything?
The other possibility is you approached within the zone of the capital ship and were attacked for being too close (iirc thats how the ones at Sol/Achenar are).

Either way see if you can reproduce the effect ideally with a shadowplay video or recording or whatever. And/or make a bug-report anyway. Could be legit something you didn't realise, could be a bug. Who knows unless we can reproduce or see a video.

@Mike Reacher, Not the thread for that.

I'm squeaky clean. The first courier scanned me and left quietly.

I thought it was some kind of zone issue too, but when I returned I was able to hang around the cap ship no problem, and the same with the other 2 cap ships there. It seems weird that there would be a zone of some kind at one moment but not a few minutes later.

Yeah I think based on the limited responses here this one will move onto a bug report. I just wanted to check here first in case someone said something obvious I didn't know about like "oh yeah dude, NEVER honk an ADS near a cap ship unless you wanna get smoked" lol. :D

Ask yourself what happens when you use your ADS in normal space, it's assigned to a fire button (fire group).

Using that button to scan anything in normal space means that your weapons also deploy.

If you also have a weapon assigned to that fire group, well, it's gonna fire too...

NPC's don't like that...

That only happens if bindings are set to auto-deploy hardpoints, which mine are not for exactly that reason. So when I scan, hardpoints do not deploy.

Back
Top Bottom