Do Recovery timers only count for conflict states?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On yesterdays tick our latest conflict State (Election) ended. System is High Tech / 90.35mil population / High Security.

Elections have a 48h recovery time (contrary to Civil War / War with only 24h). So that means until tomorrow there shouldn't be any new State possible or just no other conflict state?

Reason I'm asking is the opposing MF we'd like to get into conflict with (again) developed a sudden case of a Lockdown on today's tick aka only 24h after the Election state ended.

Only thing I could think of is that the Lockdown was pending before, but it should've gone due to the conflict going live and killing it off.

The opposing MF does have a load of Settlements though, so another reason could be immense Skimmer kill missions working towards the Lockdown. But that would still mean a pending period and not instand Lockdown after 24h.

Happy to hear your thoughts on the matter!

Last edited:

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
It's my belief that both conflict and expansion may be delayed by a conflict recovery timer.... conflict certainly is... I am a lot less sure about expansion - it may be coincidence and me miscounting the longer countdown and recovery. We often see boom, CU, lockdown the tick after a conflict ends and always no state straight after the last tick of the conflict.

Elections have a 48h recovery time (contrary to Civil War / War with only 24h). So that means until tomorrow there shouldn't be any new State possible or just no other conflict state?
Just no other conflict states. Any state that was pending before the conflict started could go live later.

Only thing I could think of is that the Lockdown was pending before, but it should've gone due to the conflict going live and killing it off.
I don't believe conflicts kill off other pending states as such - at least, I've never seen evidence for this to be a general rule - but there's another effect going on which makes them appear to.

My belief based on what I've seen is that what happens is this:
Boom/Bust: low priority state
Lockdown/Civil Unrest: medium priority state
Expansion/Retreat: high priority state
War/Election: critical priority state
...and on each tick, states are checked in priority order (with either randomisation or a FIFO system within a priority level - I haven't looked closely enough to determine) as to whether they can apply.

So, a faction is in Boom, with Lockdown, Expansion and War all pending ... 1 day left on the pending timers for Lockdown, Civil Unrest and War, 2 days left for Expansion. On the tick:
- checks Lockdown. This is a higher priority than the current Boom, so switch to active Lockdown.
- checks Civil Unrest. This is equal priority than the current state, so keep it Pending.
- checks Expansion. This is still in the Pending period, so ignore it.
- checks War. This is a higher priority than the current state, so switch to active War.
Result: Active War, Pending Civil Unrest and Expansion. ... the Pending Lockdown has been effectively killed by the conflict, but strictly it was active for a few nanoseconds, but the pending Expansion has not (because it was still a day short of being active), and the pending Civil Unrest has not (because the Lockdown stopped it ever going live to be killed)

Later, at the end of the War
- checks Civil Unrest. War is active and overrides it, so keep it Pending
- checks Expansion. War is active and overrides it, so keep it Pending
- checks War. End conditions met, return state to None.
...which is why you always get a clear day when moving down the priority scale.

Elections are funky.

Its a 2 day recovery time to start a new state.

However if you had a pending state during the election it will go active after 1 day recovery while the election still has a day of recovery left.

Otherwise, its the same as Wars or Civil Wars - you cannot get some states pending during that recovery.
I believe its mainly movement states of Expansions and Retreats that get held up, but other states should work fine to go pending.

Later, at the end of the War
- checks Civil Unrest. War is active and overrides it, so keep it Pending
- checks Expansion. War is active and overrides it, so keep it Pending
- checks War. End conditions met, return state to None.
...which is why you always get a clear day when moving down the priority scale.

That's a sound theory !
+1 rep [up]

_trent_

Volunteer Moderator
We've been involved in a lot of elections recently and the pattern is always: Last Election Day - 'None' Day - Economic State Day. To the best of my recollection his thas happened every single time in 2.3 and 2.4. Movement and conflict states are definitely blocked for the two recovery ticks though.

We've been involved in a lot of elections recently and the pattern is always: Last Election Day - 'None' Day - Economic State Day. To the best of my recollection his thas happened every single time in 2.3 and 2.4. Movement and conflict states are definitely blocked for the two recovery ticks though.

Our experience as well, hence why I was so [???] when I saw that live Lockdown.

But while we're at the topic of timers, I'd have another question regarding pending Expansions.

We established that if you make a conflict go pending on the 3rd day of a pending Expansion it'll kill it off when it goes live. Without any Recovery time (at least none is shown).

If you'd make a conflict go pending on the 4th or 5th day of a pending Expansion you can effectively shortcut it that way.

Now I wonder about the 1st and 2nd day of a pending Expansion, where it's said that if you make a conflict go pending it'll put said Expansion on hold.

Does the pending timer of the Expansion count along with the days the conflict is live?

Meaning: does the Expansion instantly go live after the conflict has ended (possible Recovery timer notwithstanding)

or

will it simply resume it's pending timer and take between 3-4 days to actually go live?

Off to bed with me, work starts at 4:30am :)

Our experience as well, hence why I was so [???] when I saw that live Lockdown.

But while we're at the topic of timers, I'd have another question regarding pending Expansions.

We established that if you make a conflict go pending on the 3rd day of a pending Expansion it'll kill it off when it goes live. Without any Recovery time (at least none is shown).

If you'd make a conflict go pending on the 4th or 5th day of a pending Expansion you can effectively shortcut it that way.

Now I wonder about the 1st and 2nd day of a pending Expansion, where it's said that if you make a conflict go pending it'll put said Expansion on hold.

Does the pending timer of the Expansion count along with the days the conflict is live?

Meaning: does the Expansion instantly go live after the conflict has ended (possible Recovery timer notwithstanding)

or

will it simply resume it's pending timer and take between 3-4 days to actually go live?

Off to bed with me, work starts at 4:30am :)

The pending counts the pending during a conflict, so once the conflict clears the Expansion starts.

Clears as in after the recover state clears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom