Do your apes and monkeys use vines ?

I have just done another enclosure this time with Orangutans and almost on none I have done have I ever seen them use the vines to traverse around. I have a few climbable stations they use and link them all together with vines. I checked the heat map and there is the green climbable line over them and some of the high up places that only vines reach have the green lines as well.

I just spent 30 minutes looking at a few enclosures and never see the animals using them. Has anyone had any luck with this ?

Sadly they don't seem to have other Animations for them than for the Trees and Climbing-Structures
Zwischenablage55(1).jpg

I think at least Orangutans should be able to use them (at least in the German Version these Plants are called Liane (Liana) (at least I think it's called like this in the German Version. I'm currently not at my Computer so I can't look if I'm right))
Lianas are wooden, so I think they should be able to carry the Weight of a Orangutan. I currently don't keep Orangutans in my Zoo, so it will take some Time to find it out

Most Orangutan enclosures have a lot of ropes for them to traverse on, I wonder if they are too big or just not using it in my enclosure in PZ :unsure:

I really want a Update that makes Ropes climbable. There would be so many Possibilities for Enclosures for Primates and small climbing Animals.

I wonder why ropes and vines would then not be included in the 'Climbable' section.
The Vines aren't in there because they are Plants but you can filter the Plants-Menu for climbable Plants

The main thing is that as of the game right now, animal climbing animations are specifically walking across climbing structures, jumping, or using all four limbs to clamber up vertical climbing structures. There is nothing for brachiation (swinging with primarily or solely the arms) - and understandably so! The only primate in base Planet Zoo that heavily relies on brachiation is the Bornean orangutan.

Perhaps if we get any species of gibbon or spider monkey in the future, we might get animations for them brachiating between ropes and vines, or even simply a second pass at climbing animations for four-limbed clambering along these surfaces.

They actually do have animations for these vines and ropes. I've seen Orangutans and lemurs use them. They don't swing across using only their arms, they scamper across hanging upside down using hands and feet.

They actually do have animations for these vines and ropes. I've seen Orangutans and lemurs use them. They don't swing across using only their arms, they scamper across hanging upside down using hands and feet.
I would really like to see a Picture or Video of this

I think I remember this one from Discovery, National Geographic or something similar but it's not common behavior to swing using vines for monkeys/apes. Other uses , like only climbing, can't remember that one...
It does happen sometimes but swinging using the smaller branches from trees connecting eachother was the common behavior for the smaller species.

I think, they blamed Hollywood & other media for that distorted view.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.. Been a while since i watched animal documentaries on TV.:D :D

I think I remember this one from Discovery, National Geographic or something similar but it's not common behavior to swing using vines for monkeys/apes. Other uses , like only climbing, can't remember that one...
It does happen sometimes but swinging using the smaller branches from trees connecting eachother was the common behavior for the smaller species.

I think, they blamed Hollywood & other media for that distorted view.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.. Been a while since i watched animal documentaries on TV.:D :D
But I think Apes in Zoos use Ropes to swing. I really hope they will make this possible with the Ropes in the Game

My gorillas are so lazy. I have so many climbing structures but they choose the simplest one and sleep on the floor.
In Real life Gorillas don't climb as much as other Primates. Do you use Bedding for them? Maybe you could inspire them to climb more if you do this. Enrichment-Items on Climbing-Structures could maybe work also

Starting to get bit confused :p.. Swinging between ropes or on a rope?
I think swinging from one Rope to another isn't that common. I somehow confused it with another Word. I mean hanging with the Hands on a Rope and gripping another Rope that is close to it to get to the other Rope. I hope I explained it understandable enough.
We really need more Animations for Apes. We also need this Tire-Swing. This Orangutan Picture looks so cute
Edit:I meant this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachiation

Last edited:
Top Bottom