Does anyone here know a workaround to bypass 8x8x8 dimension limit?

Some people in the community have figured out a way to do this, hence why there are trees on the workshop that are over 20m tall. I haven't been able to figure out how they do it however. Any ideas?

Question was also posted to Steam Discussions, where I also gave an answer. When the question is resolved, I will merge any relevant information into this forum thread so people can use it for future reference.

Current status: I think the strategy Wagi linked is probably the best one for animated items/animatronics, as the 'folding' does not interfere with the users ability to create animations as they wish.

For static objects, I am currently prototyping a different approach, which emulates scaling by reducing it to location keyframes (reminder: Blender's 'Scale' Keying is ignored by Planet Coaster). This involves a custom armature specifically crafted for this, meaning it is unfit for animatronics which need their rig for the animation themselves. The script already basically works: You give it a small object and a scale value and it will create the armature + keyframe which scales it to the desired size, without tampering with the mesh object size which is the value the TMTK Precheck cares about. I want to iron out some quirks before I release it, so that is probably a few days away. Screenshot is already in the Steam Thread.

The function is now included in the Blender Addon (Reference Post)

Video-Demo of how the function is used is uploaded here:

You basically select the function while the (static) item is selected, choose your target size (the largest dimension is scaled to this size) and the method (default should usually be the best choice). All methods except "CubeMesh" should be non-destructive, meaning you can revert them anytime by just removing/disabling the armature modifier.

I will stress though that the game still thinks the object got its original size. Consider this when generating your LODs, hitchecks etc. (large objects can be especially frustrating to select, as you will have to find the original hitbox).

Again, Wagi's linked post is your best option when dealing with animated objects. The addon's ScaleHack can only be used as static objects, as it introduces its own armature and keyframe.

Here is a proof of concept item you can subscribe to on the workshop: Moai 100m (low poly)

just wondering can you not create 2 armatures 1 that scales the base model you want to scale up and another that will hold the base scale inside the model?
Reason, you could use the second armature that is inside the larger model as a visual hit box. rather you make it solid or a hologram. That would make it easier to select a hit box when you clip the camera inside the large model.

just wondering can you not create 2 armatures 1 that scales the base model you want to scale up and another that will hold the base scale inside the model?
Reason, you could use the second armature that is inside the larger model as a visual hit box. rather you make it solid or a hologram. That would make it easier to select a hit box when you clip the camera inside the large model.
I see where your point, but even if I could somehow make 2 armatures work in parallel, the best working method atm uses 18 bones. This is exactly the limit imposed by TMTK. I suggest to just use a hitcheck and an accompanying dummy geometry (e.g. a wireframe cube) if such a thing is desired.

That is where math comes into play. If the hit check stays the same scale and only the model scales up to what ever you chose. Then your custom Fake hit check would need to be reduced x amount of times for that method to work effectively or you would just be back at not being able to select the hit check. So I would like to see the values given before the export so I could set the Fake hit check with the negative scale. So when the fake hit check its scaled up with the base model its the actual size of the custom hit check I created. >.<' If that makes any sense. >.<'

The hitcheck is unaffected by the animation, so its just the size of the base model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom