Newcomer / Intro Driving around on planetside base - launching SRV from ship in hangar

Several times now I have fancied exploring the planetside base that my ship is docked at. So I fire up the SRV and launch it from within the ship's hangar, leaving the ship in its hangar in the base.

Now, sometimes I can simply drive back to the base grage door and re-board the ship. Sometimes there is no way to reboard the ship except to log out and play the non-Horizons version and rejoin my ship in orbit.

Question is, is there any reliable way of making sure that we can get back to the ship? Is there something I am doing wrong? I am definitely driving back into the same garage as I deployed from, and it won'd let me board the ship.

Ideas woudl be welcome

Thanks

Deleted member 38366

D
I haven't done it in a >long< time - but I kinda remember you have to Request Docking from the SRV.
I think then you'll even get directions to the Ship Hangar your Vessel will spawn in by following the blue Compass Dot in the SRV.

The Alternative is to be well outside the Settlement/Base and simply recall the Ship.

Ah yeah, that was it. Request docking - thanks! Tried recalling the ship didn't work as she was in dock.

[Edit] Yes, I had to target the base and request docking permission from them. Then the compass came up and when you drive into the garage, COVAS says 'Ship ready for boarding' and you get the 'board ship' light. Thanks, that worked a treat.

Last edited:
Ah yeah, that was it. Request docking - thanks! Tried recalling the ship didn't work as she was in dock.

[Edit] Yes, I had to target the base and request docking permission from them. Then the compass came up and when you drive into the garage, COVAS says 'Ship ready for boarding' and you get the 'board ship' light. Thanks, that worked a treat.
As an alternative (because some bases, like engineers, for example, don't allow re-docking in an SRV) you can drive your SRV outside the no-fire zone of the base (7km) and THEN you can recall your ship.

And just to note, in case it's not obvious: you don't have to drive back to the exact same hangar where you parked your ship. When you request docking, your ship gets teleported to the hangar that's closest to you.

Top Bottom