Hardware & Technical dual mouse support

Am currently on the fence of pledging for a King's Assembly (a combination of keyboard, dual mouse and dual joystick that is currently on Kickstarter). This could be awesome for games like Elite - if more than one mouse would be supported.
Did a short test: Attached two mice to my PC. Then tried to assign different parameters to the individual x/y axis of the two mice in Elite. Which doesn't seem to work, if I assign e.g. the x axis of one mouse to yaw and then the x axis of the second mouse to roll then the yaw mapping of the first mouse gets deleted. Occurrently Elite considers both mice as just one.

Long story short: Please consider adding dual mouse support! :cool:

Am currently on the fence of pledging for a King's Assembly (a combination of keyboard, dual mouse and dual joystick that is currently on Kickstarter). This could be awesome for games like Elite - if more than one mouse would be supported.
Did a short test: Attached two mice to my PC. Then tried to assign different parameters to the individual x/y axis of the two mice in Elite. Which doesn't seem to work, if I assign e.g. the x axis of one mouse to yaw and then the x axis of the second mouse to roll then the yaw mapping of the first mouse gets deleted. Occurrently Elite considers both mice as just one.

Long story short: Please consider adding dual mouse support! :cool:

I was on the fence also, but then I went "all in" once I had given it more thought. :D

This is the perfect controller for games like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen, where you will (eventually) move from the pilot's seat, and move around in the ship, or in the world. And wearing a VR headset while you type on a keyboard can be tricky. It's HOTAS, keyboard and 2x mouse all in a very practical package. The only trouble will be to learn from scratch how to type and control stuff. But one shouldn't be afraid of change if you know it's gonna be a good change. We just adapt.

Don't worry about ED supporting two mice, because this is something that happens on your computer hardware, and King's Assembly's end.. and does not have to be supported by the games. This will be handled, presumably by a custom made driver, which will allow both devices instant control over the same "mouse point" - over Bluetooth 4.0 or via USB. It'll not be handled on a per-game basis, as that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Go ahead and ask Eric on his kickstarter page about your concerns, click "send message", he will always respond. Maybe not immediately, he's a busy engineer.. but he has reponded to all my Qs.

Last edited:
This will be handled, presumably by a custom made driver, which will allow both devices instant control over the same "mouse point"
This is already supported by Windows >= 7 out of the box: if you plug two mice in you can control the same mouse cursor with both. That's what also happens in ED atm. - it just sees both mice as one (and accordingly you can only map one x and one y axis).
What I was after was to map the x and y axis of both mice to different ship controls (e.g. x and y on the first mouse to pitch and roll and on the second mouse to yaw and acceleration).

To make this possible we would either need joystick emulation on KA side - so one mouse works as a virtual joystick while the other works as mouse (which is already confirmed) or dual mouse support from ED.
But you are right, presumably the joystick emulation mode would already be sufficient for the KA without effort from ED dev side.
But perhaps people who don't plan to buy a KA (yet) but have two mice would be glad for a dual mouse mode in ED?

Last edited:
This is already supported by Windows >= 7 out of the box: if you plug two mice in you can control the same mouse cursor with both. That's what also happens in ED atm. - it just sees both mice as one (and accordingly you can only map one x and one y axis).
What I was after was to map the x and y axis of both mice to different ship controls (e.g. x and y on the first mouse to pitch and roll and on the second mouse to yaw and acceleration).

To make this possible we would either need joystick emulation on KA side - so one mouse works as a virtual joystick while the other works as mouse (which is already confirmed) or dual mouse support from ED.
But you are right, presumably the joystick emulation mode would already be sufficient for the KA without effort from ED dev side.
But perhaps people who don't plan to buy a KA (yet) but have two mice would be glad for a dual mouse mode in ED?

Ah yeah, I see your point. I think KA will be fully programmable. But you should ask Eric, if you can emulate a mouse into a joystick. I wouldn't want that control though, it would freak me out.

So Frontier needs to implement a way for you to choose if you want it to read as two separate mouse inputs, or the default which is what I want.

how do you assign a mouse axis in elite?

ie, I go to options, commands and click on say headlook up/down axis, then when the set new key popup appears I move the mouse around but get nothing?

Am I missing something?

Top Bottom