Dual-stick/HOSAS with pedals - how do you control your throttle?

Realizing that this may be opening a cup of worms, nonetheless, this is not intended to be a thread to debate whether HOTAS or HOSAS is supreme.

Instead, I just want thoughts from people who have tried dual stick with pedals and how they control their throttles - do you put the throttle on the stick, and if so, what do you use your pedals for (yaw plus... what on the toe brakes)? Or do you put the throttle on the pedals, and if so, is it toe-brake for throttle or the pedal axis for throttle? And if you are using the throttle for pedals, what do you put on the other pedal control (i.e. toe brake or pedal axis)?

Specifically, I'm currently using a Vive with an X-55 HOTAS and CH Pro Pedals, but I'm interested in trying HOSAS. I've got a lefty Thrustmaster 16000m, and while I could use its dial for throttle, that would require removing my hand from the stick... which both violates the whole hands-on philosophy, and may be somewhat difficult while wearing the Vive. So instead, I'd like to put the throttle on the pedals, but I'm not sure whether to have it on the pedal axis, or the toe brakes. And if I do put it on the toe brakes, for example, is it awkward to have yaw on the pedal axis at the same time?

Thanks in advance...

[braces for deluge of "HOTAS is better" posts]

I think HOSAS could be a great thing if Elite wasn't "airplanes in space". I tried HOSAS(one t16000 gathering dust now) and I found throttle control much more important than the extra control you get in the translation axis.

You can set a button/hat to control throttle in increments(or buy a VKB MCG/Virpil with a brake lever axis) but then you lose the ability to know your speed without looking. Anyway avoid setting throttle to y axis unless you play in very short sessions.

Of course YMMV, just my 2c.

[braces for deluge of "HOTAS is better" posts]

You knew it would come as the first reply. To some people, flame is life.

I have no pedals for my HOSAS, but I've put the 0%, 50%, 75% and 100% throttle to my hat switch, so I do know my speed without looking, that's much more convenient than using throttle axis in supercruise.

Given that lots of good PvPers are using keyboard and mouse, axis throttle control is overrated.

Therefore I'd advise to use pedals for yaw.
And the toe brakes - if you can program your pedals they can be used for landing gear and hardpoints toggle when pressed for a bit of time, I think it would be very convenient.

No pedals here but i use the twist axis for fwd/backwards thrust (with a trottle zero,50,100% set on the hat) also on a thrustmaster 16000

Only issue i have is that after nearly 2 years now the requires deadzone on the thrustmaster twist is getting nearly halfway up the setting bar!

One more thing I'll add since you're playing with a Vive( and apparently flaming is my life) you can't really beat having the throttle feel like it does in the cockpit, especially if you place it correctly. Has nothing to do with better/worse control, but that feeling those are your actual hands there holding the controls...well. Again YMMV, another 2c etc. Flame on.

I use dual T16000 but no pedals.

Elite has an axis for throttle and another axis for forward/backwards thrust. I have the left joystick slider set for throttle (0 - +100%) with the left stick y-axis set for forward/backwards thrust (-100% - +100%). Both axis can be used together.

The throttle slider holds its position so you can set and forget a thrust level. The joystick has a centering spring, so I use the left joystick for precision maneuvering adding or subtracting thrust to the throttle setting as needed.

Lifting off or settling down on a pad, throttle is 0 and left stick controls the 3 thrust axis. Cruising is throttle only. Heavy maneuvering has throttle set in the blue with left stick adding or subtracting thrust in whatever direction needed.

I'm using dual sticks. The right has pitch and roll, and the left has throttle and yaw. That's the way I used to fly R/C aircraft. The other mode is to swap the yaw and roll, which can give more precision in some manoeuvres. I use a POV on the left stick for horiz and vert thrusters. Also, I have 100%, 75%, 50% and 0% throttle on a hat for convenience.

Given that lots of good PvPers are using keyboard and mouse, axis throttle control is overrated.

I don't believe it is overrated so much as misused in FA Off - essential for PvP - and no controller setup affords a user the precision of a mouse, especially on fixed weapons. Again, that's pretty integral for PvP; most builds want at least a feedback rail if it can help it.

I find the major issue with throttle on FA Off is it isn't "fire and forget". The main premise of FA Off is that once you've applied input you will retain that velocity until changed, and yet I regularly see HOTAS users smack on full forward throttle FA Off, and it stays there until they feel the need to apply reverse throttle. This obviously messing with your manoeuvres, where on a keyboard you apply your input and tend to have the input cancelled when you let go of the key, meaning you don't need to manually remember to zero throttle.

For casual PvE I suspect pretty much any bindings your comfy with will work, and if that means dedicated throttle increments on a hat, go for it. I found that in intense situations however the ability to apply thottle at any desired level is pretty handy.

This doesn't of course make mouse any less advantageous, which is why I came to the conclusion that for many ships my ideal setup would be throttle and mouse.

I'm using dual sticks. The right has pitch and roll, and the left has throttle and yaw. That's the way I used to fly R/C aircraft.
^This

It's very fluid to me... just feels right.

I use a 4-way hat on my right stick for horizontal/vertical thrusters.

In supercruise I hold my right stick pinky function button and up/down on the left stick hat to set the throttle so I don't have to hold the left stick forward and this cancels out as soon as the left stick is moved up/down... works well.

I use a stick and a pad with a bunch of button and a mini analogue stick on it. It's KIND OF dual stick.

But I used to use dual stick, and here's what I did.

Bare in mind, I don't have tonne of cash to buy actually good kit!

I put throttle up on the right pedal, down on the middle pedal, and boost on the left, yeah, I had three pedals. And yeah, I know that sounds weird.

I had to merge the two pedals into one axis using software, so I could get full range throttle for forwards/backwards pedals as there is no way to bind it onto two different axes in game, which I find odd!

I also use used left and right on the left hand stick for roll, it had an analogue stick on top of that stick, so I used that for vertical/lateral thrusters.

Right stick is pitch/yaw.

It's a bit different now I use a stick and a gamepad plus pedals. But I still use two pedals for throttle, one for forward, one for back.

I put throttle up on the right pedal, down on the middle pedal, and boost on the left, yeah, I had three pedals. And yeah, I know that sounds weird.

I had to merge the two pedals into one axis using software, so I could get full range throttle for forwards/backwards pedals as there is no way to bind it onto two different axes in game, which I find odd!

I also use used left and right on the left hand stick for roll, it had an analogue stick on top of that stick, so I used that for vertical/lateral thrusters.

Right stick is pitch/yaw.

It's a bit different now I use a stick and a gamepad plus pedals. But I still use two pedals for throttle, one for forward, one for back.

Guessing these are car simulator pedals (clutch/brake/gas), and so don't have the rudder yaw function?

I use an X-52 Pro for my right hand and a T16000m in the left. For throttle, which I really only use for supercruise, the little throttle slider on the T16000m works very adequately.

Two T16000's with Pedals here.
Right is Pitch/Yaw/Roll
Left is strafe U/D/L/R.
Throttle on the left stick is my "Cruise Control".
Pedals for Strafe Fwd/Aft.

Back
Top Bottom