Dump the medicine.

I like these nebulous concepts. They're fun to speculate about and try to debate in a scientific/knowledgeable manner. :)
Salvation's detection network is in witch-space. (That's speculation but it covers the available evidence). And the weapon is probably similar to that referenced in the Proteus logs, and therefore small enough to fit into a small building. Or a Sidewinder.

The point is, very often, apparent plot holes or inconsistencies aren't necessarily so. If you spend a moment thinking about it, explanations can usually be found. Often several possible explanations. What I've said above is not certain, by any means, and there are other potential explanations that also work. None of them really shed any light on matters, but they save angsting over trivia and allow one to continue enjoying the developing story.
One can propose a number of potential explanations, but that's not terribly convincing. We humans are quite good at making correlations but, as they say, correlation is not causation.

It seems to me that witch space is not a location, rather it is a conduit (a distortion of space-time) created based upon origin and destination, and a temporary one at that. I'm not thoroughly versed on 'the evidence' you mention (whatever that may be) but I don't see how you install a sensor network 'in there.' We also have yet to understand how to get telemetry and/or signals in and out of (or through) witch space. Our own ships' systems go haywire while we're coursing through to our exit point (destination system). To me, just saying or seeing 'they do it!' * doesn't imply understanding or evidence that's tangible or understandable.

Clearly we have a lot to learn and we are still well behind Thargoid tech (at least)!

For now, maybe I'll stick to the well-placed-cheese idea :whistle: [1]

* whether "they" be Thargoid, Salvation, Guardian, or...

Edit: I am certainly interested in seeing Salvation's new anti-xeno technology. If it does exist and if it is effective, we (humans) could learn a lot about the Thargoids and potentially more.

1]
Here's one reason why. The latest Galnet article, in which Salvation takes credit for repelling the Thargoids, has a number of holes.
Ok, so (s)he takes credit for giving the warning. Fine. But were any of the pilots (s)he credits with the victory given the new anti-xeno tech / weaponry to help achieve this? No? Then I'm not sure (s)he deserves credit beyone the early warning because the pilots themselves did the hard work. Was there any evidence of Salvation's gizmos being in use during this latest conflict?
The fact that an attack occurred in a system where a stockpile of Guardian goodies were placed is not exactly a huge surprise. I love the story here, but a healthy dose of skepticism is my MO for now.

Last edited:
I like these nebulous concepts. They're fun to speculate about and try to debate in a scientific/knowledgeable manner. :)

One can propose a number of potential explanations, but that's not terribly convincing. We humans are quite good at making correlations but, as they say, correlation is not causation.

It seems to me that witch space is not a location, rather it is a conduit (a distortion of space-time) created based upon origin and destination, and a temporary one at that. I'm not thoroughly versed on 'the evidence' you mention (whatever that may be) but I don't see how you install a sensor network 'in there.' We also have yet to understand how to get telemetry and/or signals in and out of (or through) witch space. Our own ships' systems go haywire while we're coursing through to our exit point (destination system). To me, just saying or seeing 'they do it!' * doesn't imply understanding or evidence that's tangible or understandable.

Clearly we have a lot to learn and we are still well behind Thargoid tech (at least)!

For now, maybe I'll stick to the well-placed-cheese idea :whistle: [1]

* whether "they" be Thargoid, Salvation, Guardian, or...

Edit: I am certainly interested in seeing Salvation's new anti-xeno technology. If it does exist and if it is effective, we (humans) could learn a lot about the Thargoids and potentially more.

1]
Here's one reason why. The latest Galnet article, in which Salvation takes credit for repelling the Thargoids, has a number of holes.
Ok, so (s)he takes credit for giving the warning. Fine. But were any of the pilots (s)he credits with the victory given the new anti-xeno tech / weaponry to help achieve this? No? Then I'm not sure (s)he deserves credit beyone the early warning because the pilots themselves did the hard work. Was there any evidence of Salvation's gizmos being in use during this latest conflict?
The fact that an attack occurred in a system where a stockpile of Guardian goodies were placed is not exactly a huge surprise. I love the story here, but a healthy dose of skepticism is my MO for now.

Woah, that's a big quote!

The "weapon" event, if you like, occurred at 7.56, I believe it was, as a pilot who was online and in-system at the time saw it happen. Nothing physical happened to his ship, but the NHSS vanished and the on-planet POIs appeared. So something other than commanders happened. Clearly some tech we don't know about happened, other than that..? EMP of some kind..? Fits Proteus logs, Thargoids have something of the kind, so it's possible... But who knows, it's speculation, but interesting.

There is no real evidence, that's what I mean! We can see the events, but have little explanation of them. There's an interesting snippet in ancient history, though, that speaks of way-points in witch-space in the jump tech of the time. (the Dark Wheel story, published with the original game). So the tech for fixed points in witch-space may exist, or have existed in the past. Maybe the Thargoids witch-space tech is closer to that than our current version..? Again, who knows - or even if one should consider that ancient myth canon. But it does provide cover for my assumptions ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom