ED in OR on a win 8 Tablet?

I assume we aren't quite there yet, but I wondered if anyone managed to get ED running with a rift on a tablet.

I want to buy a new tablet (currently using an MS surface pro 1, which actually runs some PC games surprisingly well and can power some simple demos), and thought about getting a surface pro 3, but I assume the Intel hd graphics will be too weak to run ED acceptably.

Did anyone try it with one of those gaming tablets?

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the GPU in the Surface 3 could handle it. Can you borrow one to try before you buy ? Would be ace if you could run ED on a tablet / Rift :)

If the tablet is running x64 Windows (not RT on ARM) and has a discrete GPU rather than the built-in Intel HD stuff, then it may be able to handle the 75fps that the Rift prefers. I'm not aware of anything that would have the grunt though, most of the Win 8 tablets use Intel HD on Atom (or i3) CPUs.

At that point it will also be the same price as an Ultrabook (or Surface Pro), so you may want to consider just biting the bullet and getting a smaller 13" (for the weight reduction) "gaming" laptop and eschewing the tiny screen for the Rift. I've seen 13" laptops offered with an 860M, but if you want a 900 series (e.g. 980M) it looks like you'll need to consider 15" with the attendant increase in bulk and weight.

I did like the Surface when I had a play with one a while back (it's basically a laptop) but while the GPU will cope with an awful lot of stuff if you drop the quality a bit, it's unlikely to cut it when you want a consistent 75fps :(

If the tablet is running x64 Windows (not RT on ARM) and has a discrete GPU rather than the built-in Intel HD stuff, then it may be able to handle the 75fps that the Rift prefers. I'm not aware of anything that would have the grunt though, most of the Win 8 tablets use Intel HD on Atom (or i3) CPUs.

At that point it will also be the same price as an Ultrabook (or Surface Pro), so you may want to consider just biting the bullet and getting a smaller 13" (for the weight reduction) "gaming" laptop and eschewing the tiny screen for the Rift. I've seen 13" laptops offered with an 860M, but if you want a 900 series (e.g. 980M) it looks like you'll need to consider 15" with the attendant increase in bulk and weight.

I did like the Surface when I had a play with one a while back (it's basically a laptop) but while the GPU will cope with an awful lot of stuff if you drop the quality a bit, it's unlikely to cut it when you want a consistent 75fps :(

Thanks - unfortunately, I have no use for a laptop - maybe I'll find a convertible with a touch screen and wacom pen support that has a 980 m (a convertible ultrabook with said features would be a compromise), but I doubt it... And yeah - I'm quite pleased with the surface pro 1, but it's time for something new.

Thanks - unfortunately, I have no use for a laptop - maybe I'll find a convertible with a touch screen and wacom pen support that has a 980 m (a convertible ultrabook with said features would be a compromise), but I doubt it... And yeah - I'm quite pleased with the surface pro 1, but it's time for something new.

You'll have better luck tracking down a modestly sized laptop with a discrete card. There are hardly any tablets with discrete cards because they make a unit larger and generate more heat, which are two things that are contrary to the design of a good tablet. I literally only know of one gaming tablet (the Razer Edge Pro) and it's only got a 640m, it's huge and it gets terrible battery life. Every other device I've seen that's advertised as a "gaming tablet" are Tegra devices like the Nvidia Shield which won't work for what you want.

You'll have better luck tracking down a modestly sized laptop with a discrete card. There are hardly any tablets with discrete cards because they make a unit larger and generate more heat, which are two things that are contrary to the design of a good tablet. I literally only know of one gaming tablet (the Razer Edge Pro) and it's only got a 640m, it's huge and it gets terrible battery life. Every other device I've seen that's advertised as a "gaming tablet" are Tegra devices like the Nvidia Shield which won't work for what you want.

Yeah - looks like this might be a compromise - 12" convertible with a 980 m and a digitizer - unfortunately it's not available yet, but I'll probably go for that.

Someone had a DK1 running on a Surface Pro, so I'm sure it can be done. However, just because it works doesn't mean it works well. I would personally use a high end "graphic designer" tablet, which are extremely expensive. I can check on makes/models once I get off work if you want.. send me a msg if you want me to and I'll get to it.

Top Bottom