Discussion EDDI vs ED Discovery vs EDMC

This picture should explain most of what I was wanting to know.
1659062578399.png

Does one tool send more or different data? Does it matter if I have more than one checked?

This is why I wish that there was one tool for sending all the data to all the different data sites.

... maybe this scheme will help you:
Hmm, I'm no expert on this stuff but I suspect that that pic from 2017 no longer fully represents quite how things work.
I use EDDiscovery, which can directly send stuff any or all of EDDN, Inara, EDSM, EDAstro and IGAU. (The pic suggests that the journal tools simply send data to EDDN.)

Hmm, I'm no expert on this stuff but I suspect that that pic from 2017 no longer fully represents quite how things work.
I use EDDiscovery, which can directly send stuff any or all of EDDN, Inara, EDSM, EDAstro and IGAU. (The pic suggests that the journal tools simply send data to EDDN.)
The image is older, but I believe that the data structure and distribution has not changed. But I do not know. Maybe the EDMC programmer,
( @Athan ) who is still busy updating his tool (y), or the EDDI programmer ( @VerticalBlank, @T'kael or @Darkcyde ) (y) could give more details.
To be honest, I can't imagine that every CMDR sends its data directly to e.g. INARA (there is always a time delay until they are up-to-date).

Here is perhaps also still something to the topic:

The image is still correct in regard of the general data send to 3rd party sites - commodity markets, outfitting, star systems information, scans, etc. are sent to EDDN and "distributed" to all the sites using it. All tools feeding the EDDN are sending more or less the same data (there are standardized schemas for each kind of data). EDDN in general is making data anonymous so nobody can track individual commanders and thus is utilized for the "global" data sharing. Having one tool is enough and it's best to send everything possible to EDDN.

The more personal commander's data like flight logs, ranks, stats, and so on are being sent to various sites via API or plugins, when set by user (for example commander's data via Inara API to Inara). The amount and kind of information sent this way may vary for each tool and site.

Notes:
3) Some tools may feed other sites directly, and likewise may use some other APIs to source data.
I put that in the notes because I knew it would become out of date at some point. The aim of that image was to outline the essence of how PC Cmdrs share data, and how tools and sites receive and utilise the data, both from EDDN and each others' APIs.

The image is older, but I believe that the data structure and distribution has not changed. But I do not know. Maybe the EDMC programmer,
( @Athan ) who is still busy updating his tool (y), or the EDDI programmer ( @VerticalBlank, @T'kael or @Darkcyde ) (y) could give more details.
To be honest, I can't imagine that every CMDR sends its data directly to e.g. INARA (there is always a time delay until they are up-to-date).

Here is perhaps also still something to the topic:
Unfortunately, I can't help with this. I'm not a programmer of EDDI, though I would love to be if I could ever find the time & motivation to learn C#. I'm just an (over) enthusiastic user who loves to help people out with their EDDI event scripting, and has contributed to several of the EDDI default scripts. T'kael & VerticalBlank are the ones who'd know about the things you are discussing.

The image is still correct in regard of the general data send to 3rd party sites - commodity markets, outfitting, star systems information, scans, etc. are sent to EDDN and "distributed" to all the sites using it. All tools feeding the EDDN are sending more or less the same data (there are standardized schemas for each kind of data). EDDN in general is making data anonymous so nobody can track individual commanders and thus is utilized for the "global" data sharing. Having one tool is enough and it's best to send everything possible to EDDN.

The more personal commander's data like flight logs, ranks, stats, and so on are being sent to various sites via API or plugins, when set by user (for example commander's data via Inara API to Inara). The amount and kind of information sent this way may vary for each tool and site.
Does this mean that EDDiscovery updates the same market information to EDDN as EDMC?

I have both EDDiscovery and EDMC, but I generally only have EDDiscovery running when I play ED and I am curious if I am still updating the market information of every station I dock at even though I am not running EDMC.

Top Bottom