Here is the line in the journal file that is causing the problem:

{ "timestamp":"2024-02-14T23:34:48Z", "event":"FSSDiscoveryScan", "Progress":-nan(ind), "BodyCount":0, "NonBodyCount":0, "SystemName":"HIP 8758", "SystemAddress":147933055331 }

It looks like the 'progress' being -nan(ind) is the problem. I changed this line in the journal to set 'progress' to 1.000000 (as I saw in several other FSSDiscoveryScan entries) and now the journal processing completes with no errors.

I have no memory of what I might have done to cause this entry to be created.

The journal file name is Journal.2024-02-14T170812.01.log
The journal file itself has a date of 02/28/2024 16:32, because I just edited it...
Thanks for the info. Honestly that seems like a bug in the ED logs but I'll see what I can do to work around it. I don't believe that's even a valid JSON value.
Was there any kind of python error in the EDMC debug log you could paste here? At the very least I could try to add a try/catch for unexpected values.

Last edited:
I don't believe that's even a valid JSON value.

It isn't: only 'false' 'true' and 'null' are allowed literals. Numbers always have to be written out, at least as a sequences of digits. And section 6 of RFC8259 says "Numeric values that cannot be represented in the grammar below (such as Infinity and NaN) are not permitted."

Looks like FDev just pushes a NaN with sign bit and payload ('ind') onto their JSON stream, and it doesn't check that the value is a legitimate JSON value before writing it.

Recommendation: bug report it. Even if the likelihood to get a repetition is low, it might catch the eye of anyone looking for nan-related issues in the future.

Last edited:
>Was there any kind of python error in the EDMC debug log

Not that I remember seeing, and I wasn't smart enough to make a copy of that log - it has since been overwritten. Sorry about that.

I do have a discord up now for any of my EDMC plugins in case you have feedback, issues, or other reports and want slightly more immediate responses.

I may also put some beta releases on there as sometimes it's hard / time consuming to test everything by myself.

Did anyone get these plugins run on linux?
I would like to use it but can't get it to run... they are shown in EDMC but as broken plugins.

I run it on Linux regularly. Did you install the python requirements as specified in the install instructions? Feel free to join the Discord channel if you need help.

Not that I remember seeing, and I wasn't smart enough to make a copy of that log - it has since been overwritten. Sorry about that.
Just FYI on one of the recent updates I extended the ExploData to allow for three or so JSON parse failures before erroring out. I figure if you get more than 3 of these in a file there's a deeper issue going on, but we can safely skip one entry if needs be.

Maybe at some point I can attempt to skip only bad values so I can still get some data for events BioScan cares about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom