Horizons Elite Dangerous: Horizons -- Beta or no?

I'm considering checking out horizons, and in the store I see I have the option to purchase both Elite Dangerous: Horizons, and Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Beta. I have googled and searched and reddited and read, and for some reason (maybe its late?) I can't for the life of me figure out what the difference is. The beta is $15 more.

Should I grab the beta? Does it give me access to earlier builds?

Actually this. When the beta test of 2.1 version happen, you'll get early access to beta.

Ok gotcha, thanks :). Just loaded up the 64 bit version, gonna give it a whirl and see how things have changed in the past couple months since I played, before I make a decision.

The game is still in beta no matter which version you buy. But I think buying the 'beta' version will allow you to access pre-release beta versions of upcoming releases (e.g. 2.1, 2.2 etc), it's up to your if you want this access.

Last edited:
You can access new features earlier with beta, but it's full of bugs and progress won't carry over. So if you're not interested in bug reporting to help improve the game, then the regular version is probably what you want.

The only other advantage of beta is that ships are usually cheaper, and you can try crazy experimental stuff that you wouldn't do with your regular commander, e.g. self-destruct, going full pirate, etc. I won't be able to afford an Anaconda for several more years with my current rate of progress (I'm slow), but it's nice to have tried that and other big ships in beta. For me, it confirmed that there is no rush to get one. :)

Top Bottom