General Elite dangerous Performance - Asynchronous Reprojection for non VR

Ok today i have came across to video that LTT made about "Asynchronous Reprojection" as i understood this is also implemented in VR, so why is this not enabled for non VR players who wanna play on regular monitor without VR who cant hit high fps mark ? or experience massive fps drops on stations, settlements or massive CG events when there are a lot of commanders around. I am not specialized in graphical rendering but I wonder what do you all think about this

Linus tech tip video
Ascynchronous reprojection test
Async Reprojection outside of VR

Elite dangerous VR: Asynchronous Reprojection
Fix performance in VR Elite dangerous
Elite: Dangerous 2.2 (Beta6) -Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) Comparison in VR

Do you think this would be useful setting to enable it also for non VR elite players inside the game settings ?

Last edited:
This is not an Elite topic but...

Asynchronous and/or synchronous reprojection are available in Elite as a function of your headset hardware and software, not Elite's software. Inevitably as a consequence of the technology they lead to artifacts on screen as the software incorrectly interpolates the frames.

Various techniques can be used to help the software guess the mid frame content and interpolate frames in 2D however this tends to lead to more lag, blurring and smearing which is perceptible in a different way in 2D and often less welcome than more frames.

Other techniques such as DLSS from nVidia and FSR from AMD aim to tackle scaling and interpolation in different ways but these are still not without their issues.

We do have FSR v1 in Elite but no DLSS or FSRv2 support just yet. Yes, it would be nice to have these.

This is not an Elite topic but...

Asynchronous and/or synchronous reprojection are available in Elite as a function of your headset hardware and software, not Elite's software. Inevitably as a consequence of the technology they lead to artifacts on screen as the software incorrectly interpolates the frames.

Various techniques can be used to help the software guess the mid frame content and interpolate frames in 2D however this tends to lead to more lag, blurring and smearing which is perceptible in a different way in 2D and often less welcome than more frames.

Other techniques such as DLSS from nVidia and FSR from AMD aim to tackle scaling and interpolation in different ways but these are still not without their issues.

We do have FSR v1 in Elite but no DLSS or FSRv2 support just yet. Yes, it would be nice to have these.
Personally i would rather have option for it and some artifacts for the price of no input lag feeling when playing the game, beside it could get activated when frames drop under certain limit

Well you'll have to go speak to Nvidia and AMD to get them to implement a/s reprojection then😉 . Similar has existed in TVs in the past but it is awful.

As for DLSS and FSRv2, yes these have already been asked for in these forums. I'm sure Frontier would love to build them in and would do so if they can justify the development cost vs other issues.

So if i understood this right this is not up to game developers (fedv) to add but more depends if nvidia and amd will add this option. How does this thing than works on VR ? Thats what i dont understand :) I thought its just a simple software tweak option to enable.

Well in asynchronous reprojection, the game still renders the game space at 60hz but the headset takes that and then enables movement within that game space at 120hz, which makes for a more fluid VR experience. The game around you however is still at 60hz. You'll notice this more at something like 30hz reprojected to 60hz. If you move your head the motion feels smooth. Move your ship however and you'll notice the stars moving across the background at a more jerky progression.

2D can build frames in as well but as I mentioned this introduces lag to the image. If a GPU renders frames at 30hz then that's one frame every 33ms. If the GPU then has to insert another frame between two frames that means that you'll be waiting at least 66ms plus extra render time between input and frame generation because it has to generate 2 frames and then insert an extra frame before releasing it. Input lag over about 50ms is perceptible.

What it could do is guess the direction of player travel and pre-render frames based on player motion but this only works if there is consistent motion and would be subject to FPS drops when motion becomes unpredictable. This is undesirable for most games.

Well in asynchronous reprojection, the game still renders the game space at 60hz but the headset takes that and then enables movement within that game space at 120hz, which makes for a more fluid VR experience. The game around you however is still at 60hz. You'll notice this more at something like 30hz reprojected to 60hz. If you move your head the motion feels smooth. Move your ship however and you'll notice the stars moving across the background at a more jerky progression.

DLSS 3 on the RTX 4090 uses Optical Flow Acceleration that interpolates frames and inserts them between existing frames to double the frame rate, just buy a RTX 4090 and get FDEV to support DLSS 3, job done!

Back
Top Bottom