Elite does not respond to reset HMD position button presses

Hey all!

Ive been fixing up my Elite install after a reformat and im having an odd issue, Elite does not respond to reset HMD position button presses.
When Elite starts the forward direction is off to my right, iirc this is different from the last time i played regularly, i recall the HMD reseting its position to where one was looking when starting up Elite and then one might have to fine tune a little but the position/direction would generally be okayish.
Ive tried binding a couple of different buttons, both on my keyboard and on my hotas but nothing happens when the button is pressed.

This is my hardware:
Pimax 5k+, vive wands+lighthouses (this combo works as expected in other VR games).
i5-4690k@4.5ghz.
16Gb ram.
250Gb Ssd.

Elite and reseting hmd position worked fine before reformatting my comp about three weeks ago.

Any ideas as to why its acting up now?

ADDITION: I tried using openvr advanced settings v3 to position myself manually using the built in move/rotate features but that didnt work for some reason even though it works fine in other vr games.

Last edited:
Are you using voice attack? cause sometime the keyboard will not work if you have keyboard enabled, the defualt key is F12 to reset HMD

No voice attack, tried binding a couple of different buttons on the keyboard as well as on the hotas, they register and get set in the controls meny but do nothing when pressed otherwise.

Its weird that i cant even move myself around using playspace mover or advanced settings, the steam dashboard moves as its supposed to if i adjust the offsets but i stay locked in place inside of Elite, its like it isnt picking up the room scale position correctly.

Figured out that if i dont click the elite window during start up to focus it, as opposed to what im used to always doing, the game will recenter itself when the menu loads and i can then focus it afterwards.

Good enough to play but i still have no idea why i cant recenter ingame.

You may have a Binding conflict, you haven't said if you are using any scripting, macros etc. Try setting a new binding for reset HMD, something like Right_CTRL + End

No scripts or macros, no voice attack, just direct inputs from my x52 and/or keyboard.
Tried binding multiple different single buttons on keyboard and the hotas and "buttonmashing" but nothing works.

The Rift had a focus problem when starting the game from Oculus Home for a while. It was eventually fixed. As you have found out, you have to click the window.
Have you tried starting the headset first, then starting ED from the launcher?

As far as i recall ive dealt with the focus issue since getting in VR on my DK2 back in 2015 and vive from early 2016 and on, my regular order has been, and is still, to start steamvr, get in my play seat and then, via the virtual desktop, starting the elite launcher/game.

Currently it seems the only recenter i get is the one that goes with starting the game itself and that only if i leave it unfocused until the meny has loaded.

If you start the game from the launcher, doesn't it just go straight to the Pimax and start in VR. What does virtual desktop have to do with it?

No idea, ive never just started the launcher/game and expected that to start up the steamvr environment for me.
Ive always
1. started steamvr.
2. gone to the desktop view in the hmd via the steamvr dashboard.
(not the 3rd party app called virtual desktop,sorry if that caused any confusion, virtual desktop is a very generic name)
3. from there started elite via the launcher.

Last edited:
No idea, ive never just started the launcher/game and expected that to start up the steamvr environment for me.
Ive always
1. started steamvr.
2. gone to the desktop view in the hmd via the steamvr dashboard.
(not the 3rd party app called virtual desktop,sorry if that caused any confusion, virtual desktop is a very generic name)
3. from there started elite via the launcher.
So are you going to try it?

Why would i need to change the way i start the game when, before a couple of days ago, my "reset hmd position" has always worked?
Ill try it but i highly doubt it will make a difference.

Doesnt make a difference that way either, still nothing when i press my reset HMD position buttons.
Shame. Had the same problem with my Rift as I said. It got fixed, but with that many patches coming out for everything, it's hard to say who fixed it and when. Maybe FD will fix it in the patch next week. Hope you get it working soon.

Just reporting back to say that is solved, i think the reason for this issue was unrelated to Elite: Dangerous and was caused by an undocumented bug in OpenVR Advanced Settings version 3.0.1 because after installing version 3.1.0 ive noticed that i can now reset my position again.

Top Bottom