Elite - not dangerous

You've asked for "realism" in space. Don't you realise that no spaceship ever takes off unless the whole team on the ground and the crew are convinced that everything is as safe as it can be made? What's more, the size of a solar system should rule out the police finding another ship. Interdiction itself can't be assessed for realism because it's impossible anyway according to what we know of physics, (but so is supercruise, so we can allow it).

I don't think you really mean "realism"; you're simply asking for excitement. But there you have to note that people find excitement in different game activities and want different levels of it. ED therefore sensibly makes it optional so that we can all have what we want.

Actually SC is just creating a warp bubble which is theoretically possible. Interdiction would be causing the bubble to collapse so it could be possible. What isn’t realistic is the fact that there is no visual effects, like red shifting, when traveling faster than light. Also being able to see a ship 10k ls away in real time wouldn’t be possible but detecting its warp bubble might.

Almost as lazy as your response or the OP's trite, open-only "the way it was meant to be played" nonsense ;)

Capture.JPG

"Enter a massively-multiplayer full-scale recreation of the Milky Way..."

Seems like that's the way it was meant to be played. Whether it works well is subject to (a lot of) debate.

View attachment 180388

"Enter a massively-multiplayer full-scale recreation of the Milky Way..."

Seems like that's the way it was meant to be played. Whether it works well is subject to (a lot of) debate.
Works very well when one is in a sidey with 10k credits - even belching hard could take out the canopy 🤣

Not hard when one is in a G5 engineered everything warship and avoiding the 'optional' bits as one, naturally, expects challenge to be delivered on a silver salver...
(Which appears to be a reasonably comon theme)

I know pvp is on a different scale and ability level. Yes this is something many of us may never conquer.

But the base game as in NPCs abilities and risks when flying in the black need looking at.

We never have failures there are maintenance modules which are not needed, NPcs do not scale with you in difficulty and come at you in groups at higher combat rank levels.

Even the police and security around stations and outposts are weak.

Comparing today's ED with 1984 elite it's so easy and safe.

No risks in flying a spaceship at all really. If I slam a ship down on a surface I should receive module damaged or something..... even an engine failing would be nice.

I would love to see an engine flame out and smoke. Even failing thrusters which affect ship control making it harder to land etc. Make it hard but fun at the same time.

Lets see damage which affect flight control

Last edited:
Works very well when one is in a sidey with 10k credits - even belching hard could take out the canopy 🤣

Not hard when one is in a G5 engineered everything warship and avoiding the 'optional' bits as one, naturally, expects challenge to be delivered on a silver salver...
(Which appears to be a reasonably comon theme)

For me the game has always been about the journey, not the destination. Once I get to a G5 engineered everything warship, it feels like I've reached the destination and want to start over and try to blaze a different path. Most people think that's crazy for some reason. But how many times have you replayed an RPG where your character is so invincible, there's no challenge anymore? I've replayed Skyrim maybe 30 times - sure I still have the save files but I never go back to them so I might as well delete them. It's fun to start over as long as it never feels like a grind.

I know pvp is on a different scale and ability level. Yes this is something many of us may never conquer.

But the base game as in NPCs abilities and risks when flying in the black need looking at.

We never have failures there are maintenance modules which are not needed, NPcs do not scale with you in difficulty and come at you in groups at higher combat rank levels.

No risks in flying a spaceship at all really. If I slam a ship down on a surface I should receive module damaged or something..... even an engine failing would be nice.

I would love to see an engine flame out and smoke. Even failing thrusters which affect ship control making it harder to land etc. Make it hard but fun at the same time.

I remember sweating bullets trying to sell narcotics in the 1984 game. Seemed like those police vipers were everywhere and they were tough!

I didn't play ED when it first came out but it sounds like the 1.0 version was more challenging like the 1984 game. That's what I was hoping for with ED - a much needed update to an original awesome game.

If you get hung up on the word 'realism', just look at the context then pretend the poster said 'verisimilitude' where applicable. It will save you the of trouble of building a hastily constructed strawman out of your own pedantry and their limited vocabulary, as well as the ensuing exchange of ad hominem attacks. You can then skip straight to an actual argument, if you have one.

For me the game has always been about the journey, not the destination. Once I get to a G5 engineered everything warship, it feels like I've reached the destination and want to start over and try to blaze a different path. Most people think that's crazy for some reason. But how many times have you replayed an RPG where your character is so invincible, there's no challenge anymore? I've replayed Skyrim maybe 30 times - sure I still have the save files but I never go back to them so I might as well delete them. It's fun to start over as long as it never feels like a grind.
I loved playing Skyrim through a couple of times, then got the VR version when it was released :) My character there certainly isn't particularly overpowered, there are still some threats to be found, but I think I'm around 300 hours in VR and still exploring some of the add-on locations happily!

In ED my ships are good, but I can still get driven from Haz RES or CZ encounters if the opposition get too interested, just 'good enough' works well for me ;)

Last edited:

Just add heat.

Seeing the terms veteran and hard-core applied to video game players still elicits a chuckle from me, bringing to mind images like this:

View attachment 180392 :D
All-to-often the mention is made of 'Veteran', 'Top Tier', hard-core... Pick any buzzword from the shooty-games :)
I just 🤷‍♂️ and quietly chuckle as it appears that everything needs to be bigged-up to make it worthwhile bothering with, but it does take all kinds to make our world, so no actual slight to those folk.

For a space simulation game, Elite Dangerous has lost all sense of realism.
.... Snip

Mainly agree with the It's not dangerous anymore.

Not sure I agree with all the proposals.

Certainly I would be against separate easy and hard modes.

Would like to see rewards reduced making it harder to build up that mega ship. It took me 3 year to get an anaconda, then only a few months to buy the other two large ships, the corvette and cutter.
I back in an Asp-E again going mining and can return with several millions worth of cargo in around an hour. Previously it would have been worth only a few hundred thousands.

NPC Combat should be matched to your status, ship and any mission/cargo difficulty level.

Mining is tricky. With all the plethora of weapons needed you don't have much left for combat.
If you make RES site more difficult, I'd like less mining weapons so I can fight back.
I also say get ride of the duel HUD modes, just let us use fire groups to decide which weapons or modules we have active.
A mining lazer is a viable weapon surely!

With the protected starters systems available, there's no need for things to be so tame when away from them.

I agree that if you are a criminal, maybe the police should be hunting you, especially in higher security systems.

The exploration mechanics are basically OK, (still not keen on the surface scan feature). But maybe payouts should depend more on distance from civilization.

But overall a good list of ideas.

Top Bottom