Fiction Elite Universe Chronology?

Snakebite

Banned
I would like to start reading some of the fiction involving the Elite universe so I can be more familiar with the universe I'll be "living in" before the game comes out. I do hate reading stories with references to previous events in older stories that I have no knowledge of. OPCD kicking in! :rolleyes:

So I’ve been looking for a Chronology of the Elite universe and have searched this form, the Oolite Bulletin Board and the Elite Wiki (wiki.alioth.net). The closest I found is this timeline but it doesn’t show what time periods the various stories/books cover. For an example of what I'm looking for see this Tales of Known Space chronology.

Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for?

Much thanks in advance. :cool:

There is an elite universe time line here:
http://elitegaming.org.uk/elite-dangerous/galactica/index.php

I'm looking for an Elite universe chronology - along the lines of first orbital station, first jump capable ship etc. Is there such a thing hanging around and if so would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry I'm blind... lol

hey guys. I couldn't help but notice the alioth discussion. I have been building a slidable timeline, and have gone through the Alioth wiki to see what sources are accurate and what are not.

While the author of the Chronicles of the Milky Way does indeed include fanfiction, some of which directly pertains to current ED factions, it was rooted in fan fiction, and was not put on my timeline. Thankfully, every entry is sourced and somewhat searchable. I have also color coded the entries to represent what games the information comes from, with the original Elite being in orange all the way to the official canon entries of Elite: Dangerous that are in blue.

so far, I have only transcribed information frmo the Alioth Wiki while qualifying the source it came from. the timeline I will share will be events in game from the 1990's to New Year 3300. I will be adding two timelines, one from 3300-3301 and another that is all of 3302. suffice to say, thats gonna be a loooot of plumbing through the galnet text file I built for this. I will work on it and find a place to post later, but for now, I am willing to share what I have so far.

keep in mind this is pretty rough. a Mk I, if you will. I have to pretty it up a bit (a lot), and there is certainly many entries to go over. I also need to figure out how to clarify how I arrived at this all in a separate file (ya know, for science).

the Elite Series Timeline
http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/682093/Elite-Series-Timeline/

Last edited:
So of all the books published so far which is more about the mysteries of elite universe? things like aliens, generation ships etc

that's a hard question, as anything from lore may relate to new mysteries. The Dark Wheel by Robert Holdstock is the source of Raxxla, and Elite: Reclamation deals directly with some mysteries in game, or at least the community is following clues through it like mad. there may be undiscovered information, or there may be information that will be important later. on top of that, all the previous lore is seen as ambiguous, so its sort of an exercise in and of itself to figure out which sources are what.

that's a hard question, as anything from lore may relate to new mysteries. The Dark Wheel by Robert Holdstock is the source of Raxxla, and Elite: Reclamation deals directly with some mysteries in game, or at least the community is following clues through it like mad. there may be undiscovered information, or there may be information that will be important later. on top of that, all the previous lore is seen as ambiguous, so its sort of an exercise in and of itself to figure out which sources are what.

Out of the Darkness by T James is the one most involving Aliens.

Quick Question, Are all those books on the list considered canon for Elite dangerous?

I ask this because i read somewhere that some old lore, specially related to Elite 1+2 was discarded as canon and i cant find some of those titles on the Frontier Store.

I started the game very recently and it seems at quite a exciting time (joined in the very same day that Salome got killed) and all that uproar made me very curious about what was going on. i thought this was just a space simulator for people to pew pew at each other, but it has alot more into it. And that is just great because i love a good Scifi.

I really want to learn more about this galaxy we are flying in.

I need to know, what book should i start with (taking in mind i am just interested in Elite Dangerous Lore).

I can't believe nobody replied to you!

AFAIK, official fiction from Elite/FE2/FFE is not necessarily "true" on the ED universe. It's a good read, so I recommend it, but in terms of ED history only as a guide. Same for what happened in game in FFE and what's in the FFE news articles - after all, which papers do you believe in real life ;)

For ED history we can only rely on sources sanctioned by FDev, so that's the stuff they publish directly: in game, on the ED website, in the game manual, etc; and the licensed fiction - see the posts that Drew and Allen have both written on this in the past.

As for which ED book to read first, I would recommend And Here The Wheel, I find it quite pertinent to current in game events.

Quick Question, Are all those books on the list considered canon for Elite dangerous?

I ask this because i read somewhere that some old lore, specially related to Elite 1+2 was discarded as canon and i cant find some of those titles on the Frontier Store.

I started the game very recently and it seems at quite a exciting time (joined in the very same day that Salome got killed) and all that uproar made me very curious about what was going on. i thought this was just a space simulator for people to pew pew at each other, but it has alot more into it. And that is just great because i love a good Scifi.

I really want to learn more about this galaxy we are flying in.

I need to know, what book should i start with (taking in mind i am just interested in Elite Dangerous Lore).

Sorry for the delay in response. Too many threads, not enough time. :)

A lot of the original game lore has been retconned. The phrase I've heard used is that "Elite Dangerous is inspired by what went before, but not bound by it." A lot of what happened in the previous games thus didn't happen in the history of ED, if that makes sense. However, most of the mysteries and a lot of institutions and people involved are still part of the lore, only events themselves have been changed and moved around.

I've done a bit of work on the lore to make it more accessible - check out my pages on it here > https://www.drewwagar.com/lore/elite-dangerous-lore/

There's also the Elite Dangerous Wiki (recommend an ad blocker though!) > http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki

As for the books, there's a list here > https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...guide-to-the-official-Elite-Dangerous-Fiction

You don't need to read them in a particular order as their independent works dealing with different parts of the galaxy. (Though my latest book Premonition is a sequel to the earlier one, Reclamation so need to be read in order!). Have a look through the Amazon reviews here to get a feel of them, most have their own threads in this forum which will let you know what folks thought about them.

Amazon > https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...lias=aps&field-keywords=elite+dangerous+books

Cheers,

Drew.

Top Bottom